www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future Tomb Raider Games

Old 19-08-17, 16:57   #81
Blackmoor
Tomb Raider

^Totally it should be like this. The game is supposed to mimic exploration in unknown territories.... that's risky stuff involving taking your time and thinking before you run and jump.

If they brought this element back, immediately the game would feel more substantial and the immersion levels would increase. And then maybe, Lara wouldn't have to kill 2 small battalions in order for something thrilling to happen....
Old Yesterday, 13:21   #82
Dennis's Mom

Exactly. The only risk in the game is death by enemy combat.

One of the things that made the original, precision platforming so compelling was that you could hurt or kill Lara. It's why you needed your horde of medipacks. They were your insurance policy against long drops, trap damage, or worst case, not being able to find your way back to the surface.

In the classic game, the risk of the gameplay dovetailed into the need to explore. Other than 100% crap, there is no reason to explore in the new games. Nothing really affects the game. You don't need health, and checkpoints are your safety net. All those weapons and upgrades lead up to a final boss that forces you to use a weapon you got in the first half of the game.
Old Yesterday, 15:08   #83
RWTSB
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis's Mom View Post
Exactly. The only risk in the game is death by enemy combat.

One of the things that made the original, precision platforming so compelling was that you could hurt or kill Lara. It's why you needed your horde of medipacks. They were your insurance policy against long drops, trap damage, or worst case, not being able to find your way back to the surface.

In the classic game, the risk of the gameplay dovetailed into the need to explore. Other than 100% crap, there is no reason to explore in the new games. Nothing really affects the game. You don't need health, and checkpoints are your safety net. All those weapons and upgrades lead up to a final boss that forces you to use a weapon you got in the first half of the game.
I totally differ from you lol.

I actually praised that aspect of the gaming that it made me go and explore and search for health remedies. Because I remember I was getting destroyed at the beginning, so I took a time to explore and collected every material possible so I could continue without struggling.

Plus, I needed to upgrade my weaponry which would benefit me as a gamer and the environments around me and my perspective of gameplay. Plus, I collect achievements lol. You should try collecting trophies/achievements I think it makes you play and explore not just TR. I recently played Fable 2 and 3 and the achievement list expanded my gameplay.

I must be a crappy gamer that I actually explored for health remedies lol.
RWTSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 21:55   #84
jajay119
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis's Mom View Post
You don't need health, and checkpoints are your safety net.
To be fair, this isn't the case anymore. Rise introduced survivor difficulty in which you reload with the exact same amount of damage you had when you checkpointed much like the classic games. I'm immensely pleased with his as it made the need to use med packs relevant again. I'd just like them to reinstate the health bar rather than the random flecks of blood all over the screen. Seriously, how is that less instrusive than a health bar?
Old Yesterday, 21:57   #85
charmedangelin
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajay119 View Post
To be fair, this isn't the case anymore. Rise introduced survivor difficulty in which you reload with the exact same amount of damage you had when you checkpointed much like the classic games. I'm immensely pleased with his as it made the need to use med packs relevant again. I'd just like them to reinstate the health bar rather than the random flecks of blood all over the screen. Seriously, how is that less instrusive than a health bar?
Especially when they dim the screen and the colors out of the game. I hate that when I am in a graphically beautiful section, but I can't enjoy it's beauty because my screen is dimmed and the colors washed out because my character has taken some damage.
Old Yesterday, 22:05   #86
Patrick star
Relic Hunter

^As if the right time to enjoy the beauty of a section is in the middle of a firefight .

I did enjoy the screen effects on the screen when Lara's severely hurt , but I definitely want the health bar back , I was quite disappointed that it didn't return in Rise , considering it was there in the beta version of TR2013 .
Old Yesterday, 22:07   #87
charmedangelin
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick star View Post
^As if the right time to enjoy the beauty of a section is in the middle of a firefight .
Well not in the middle of a fire fight, but after. Sometimes it takes a while before the screen transitions back into the original graphics of the area and I hate waiting for that.
Old Yesterday, 22:12   #88
jajay119
Tomb Raider

It's not just about taking in the scenery though. The screen effect makes it hard to see anything at all so even in a fully fledged fire fight it slows you down and makes it hard to fight back. Not to mention it's completely unspecific. I tried to play the game on Extreme survivor but there was no clear indication of when you would actually die and it ended up being infuriating. A health bar nearly depleated is much more informative and doesn't block the action going on around you.