Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 11-07-17, 13:03   #1
kevindatsun

Default TR1 is actually more fun than Anniversary OMG!

So I started playing TR1 today and this time on my PC ( I played it on android years ago but I gave up because of the controls )
And oh boy!! It was really more fun than anniversary. I'm on the Egypt level now but one thing I really enjoyed playing this original game is the CISTERN level.
I can't believe CD made the Cistern level very short on Anniversary and didn't even include the side rooms. I was shocked when playing it on TR1 because the level got me stuck for hours just looking for the second silver key ( so I gave up and watched a walkthrough and I was so dumb after realizing it that you don't have to raise the water level to get that second silver key hahaha ).

I also enjoyed the Palace Midas level. Exploration is really vast in this level. The rooms are separated; the pool room, midas hands room, trial rooms and more. While in Anniversary all of these rooms are combined into one which kinda sucks for me. In TR1 I actually almost got lost in this level which is a very nice feeling hahaha.

Overall I'm really enjoying this original TR game. How I wish I played this first than Crystals TR games ( first TR game i played is Legend ) hahaha..
kevindatsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-17, 13:26   #2
dinne

[deleted by the user]

Last edited by dinne; 18-02-21 at 09:18.
dinne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-17, 15:43   #3
larafan25

Somehow, Tomb Raider 1 feels so much more free to me.

You can do these giant jumps in these big spaces. It just feels so fun and free. Also, so much more opportunity to die, and the graphic style is so beautiful IMO.

I mean, the comparison of Tomb Raider 1 to Anniversary will always show the differences of Crystal's re-imagined series versus the originals very distinctly.
larafan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-17, 19:57   #4
Waxyyyy

I'm playing TR1 again also, you are free to roam. Especially in Sanctuary of the Scion, you really get a sense of scale especially when you go underneath.
Waxyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-17, 20:01   #5
larafan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxyyyy View Post
I'm playing TR1 again also, you are free to roam. Especially in Sanctuary of the Scion, you really get a sense of scale especially when you go underneath.
Underneath...

the Sphinx?
larafan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-17, 16:53   #6
Blue_light

Well, duh.

I'm glad you're enjoying TR1. It will always be my fave in the series, and it makes me happy to know more people are liking it as well.
Blue_light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-17, 18:52   #7
ostercy

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindatsun View Post
So I started playing TR1 today and this time on my PC ( I played it on android years ago but I gave up because of the controls )
And oh boy!! It was really more fun than anniversary. I'm on the Egypt level now but one thing I really enjoyed playing this original game is the CISTERN level.
I can't believe CD made the Cistern level very short on Anniversary and didn't even include the side rooms. I was shocked when playing it on TR1 because the level got me stuck for hours just looking for the second silver key ( so I gave up and watched a walkthrough and I was so dumb after realizing it that you don't have to raise the water level to get that second silver key hahaha ).

I also enjoyed the Palace Midas level. Exploration is really vast in this level. The rooms are separated; the pool room, midas hands room, trial rooms and more. While in Anniversary all of these rooms are combined into one which kinda sucks for me. In TR1 I actually almost got lost in this level which is a very nice feeling hahaha.

Overall I'm really enjoying this original TR game. How I wish I played this first than Crystals TR games ( first TR game i played is Legend ) hahaha..
ostercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-17, 21:44   #8
peeves

Nice to see you enjoy TR1 and It is more fun than TRA. Anniversary was just watered down from the original game. Also other flaws as well in anniversary that TR1 didn't have not to mention that the textures were better.
peeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-17, 16:18   #9
t1022k

Anniversary was a pretty poor remake. It still bothers me how much they butchered City of Vilcabamba . I played about half-way through it, but I was already feeling disappointed with it by the second level's end.

TR1 will probably always be my favorite game of all time. I can't stop revisiting it from time to time. TombATI + Steam controller ftw .
t1022k is offline   Reply With Quote