Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider The Angel of Darkness

Old 08-07-14, 20:03   #21
Caesum

Wait, I actually remember I have an even older memory of TRAOD. It was in 2004, I was in primary school and one of my friends apparently had a copy of Tomb Raider game. Back then I didn't really know about TR, I have only played TR4 demo and couldn't make it past the second room(the one with skeletons). I remember very clearly that he had a copy of TRAOD and lent me. Unfortunately my PC was too old to even run it, but it's impressive how I remember every bit of its cover. I guess that was the reason why I instantly bought and fell in love with TRAOD when I found it two years later in Warsaw.
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-14, 03:53   #22
Aurimas
Inactive

To start with, I think this is one of the best threads in The Angel of Darkness forum lately. I love reading it.

I learnt about Tomb Raider when I saw my cousin and my other cousin's husband playing Tomb Raider 2 Venice on a PC. They were trying to get past the timed door at the end of the level. I think it was in 1997 or 1998. I also remember Tomb Raider 2 was presented on TV.

Several years latter, I and my friend were going to my other friend who had a PC and one of the games we were playing was Tomb Raider 2. We completed it together. And then one of my friends bought Tomb Raider 4 and they played it. I also remember my classmates talking about Tomb Raider 4.

Nevertheless, I cannot remember how I learnt about Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness. I think I heard rumours about Tomb Raider 6 from my friend. I think I also saw Alex C. feat. Yasmin K. - Angel of Darkness music video on TV. I also saw the game in the catalogue in July or August, 2003. I think when my friend bought the game, she also showed it to me through the window after I asked it. I and my friend also went to video game store and I saw the game there. I think there were also Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness poster and standee. I think the poster was changed at least 1 time.

In December, 2003 I went to my nephew who had a PlayStation 2 and I saw him playing the game! He was playing The Serpent Rouge and Parisian Ghetto. He could not make a jump in The Serpent Rouge and he wanted to get past the door to Francine's apartment in Parisian Ghetto and I wanted to play the game myself but he was so interested in it that he did not allow me to do it! The graphics were breathtaking, The Serpent Rouge seemed so modern and Parisian Ghetto seemed infinite! The game seemed so good and so different from the previous games. When I saw the Euros in the inventory and the crowbar, I thought that it was the price for the crowbar and that you can buy various items including the crowbar to open that door Parisian Ghetto and progress in the game, weapons and ammo. I also thought crowbar could be used as a weapon.

In 2005 my mother bought me laptop and the same day asked my friend to lend me the game. She agreed and in that late autumn evening and I went to my friend who lived not far away from me. And then I went back home with the game and installed it. I was so thrilled... I did not want to go to sleep but I think I got to Parisian Ghetto and then went to sleep. The following day I was already playing The Serpent Rouge. After my other friend saw me playing the game, she also asked my friend to lend her the game. They often came to me to me and we were playing the game together. My friend helped me with some The Hall Of Seasons levels but she herself was stuck with getting First Obscura Painting very long time so we got all stuck there till I found Stella's walkthrough throught the Internet on my mobile phone. I remember we even used Latin and English dictionaries to translate what Lara says in the cutscene expecting that there was some clue and I also asked my English teacher if translation is correct. How happy we were when she at last took that painting. I was also stuck with Proto because I was so scared of The Sanitarium and Maximum Containment Area that I used all all ammo and all health items.

I usually was playing Tomb Raider together with friends. It was so fun. I also think autumn is the best time to play this game. However, summer or December may be also good time.

Last edited by Aurimas; 12-07-14 at 07:52.
Aurimas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-14, 11:03   #23
Lara_Fan1

I remember seeing the concept art in Chronicles and the video, I was waaay to young to understand what it ment. I remember though, hiring the game out instead of getting my parents to buy it. An I was in Bouchard's hideout (The part where you go through the manhole, not actually part of the storyline). An there was a gap to jump, an I tried for hours to jump the gap and she would never make it xD! Eventually somehow she made it, I was so excited, then to find out nothing is over there apart from a medipack. I cannot describe the disappointment.

Eventually, I managed, somehow to get back onto the stroyline path. Then get stuck in Le Serpent Rogue, I never knew that you had to press the button to turn the music on and to make the light rig move.

FINAL done that; only to get stuck on the Archeological Dig puzzle. In the end, I had to take the game back and I never wanted to play it again. Until I got older and could understand properly how the game works, an It is still one of my fav core TR games.

Last edited by Lara_Fan1; 12-07-14 at 11:04.
Lara_Fan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-14, 21:40   #24
s2m6

The controls, oh those terrible controls
s2m6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-14, 12:02   #25
peeves

The controls weren't so bad for me even though there were annoying parts where lara was uncooperative in the hall of seasons.
peeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-14, 19:55   #26
Quebsenuef

The controls were totally fine for me. (PS2)
Never had a problem, just took a little while to work with Lara and not that other way around
Quebsenuef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-14, 23:52   #27
s2m6

I played with ps2 as well. It was alienating right at the beginning on first play through, when I pushed the analogue stick forward, she slowly walks a few stamps first then gets into a jog; turning was difficult too.
s2m6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-14, 19:30   #28
JoeSeppey

I remember back in 2004, I was watching my Dad play the game, constantly pestering him to let me play.
I can vividly remember watching him start the Parisian Ghetto.

I can remember the music from Le Serpent Rouge off by heart.

I also remember the first time I did the Pawn Shop mission, with the running to avoid the explosion, my heart racing, feeling so satisfied I succeeded.

Ahh, nostalgia. <3

Last edited by JoeSeppey; 19-07-14 at 19:32.
JoeSeppey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-14, 04:50   #29
SunDormant

My first memories of AOD were the pictures included in Chronicles, under the section of "Next Generation" (after struggling trying to find those damned secrets xDDD) and I remembered being amazed at those graphics. I think I literally said "That's the Cutscene (FMV) Lara! How do they manage to make her so real?" (I was really young back then and thought that games couldn't look realistic XD).

So when I first played it, I was amazed at those graphics, and the controls were really easy to handle (in fact, I don't remember having to struggle when playing, even in places where most people find Lara unresponsive).

When I think of this game, I feel very nostalgic, and sometimes, even sad because we never got to see how Core Lara ended
SunDormant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-14, 16:05   #30
AdenClements
Inactive

I played it round my friends house when I was... 8, maybe?

I thought it was amazing, I'd always loved Lara and it looked so incredible (And the atmosphere hit me full force... It felt so DARK! Drug dealers, serial killers, ghettos, that felt so mature)

Playing it as an adult I don't get the same feeling, I just get the sense it was trying too hard to be edgy and creepy (Because the first people you'd meet in Paris would of course be a homeless person, a drug dealer, and a prostitute, within the first 3 minutes of waking up)
AdenClements is offline   Reply With Quote