Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 17-11-16, 10:23   #31
malferink

@dcw123: it's the first tomb she finds in game though. Where else do you think she entered a tomb?
malferink is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-16, 11:50   #32
Mani_Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcw123 View Post
Yep.. and it makes no sense..

They could have had her say the line at the start of the game instead - her first tomb she finds.

Then.. it would make sense later when she starts to like them.. they grow on her.

Of course, CDs incompetent writers can't do such things.
What?

Its the very first tomb she entered in her life...in which context should she have said: I hate tombs?
Should she have stood on the beach, looking out towards the sea and said it?

If you think CDs writers are incompetent...may you give me a link to the briliant writing you did in your life?
Mani_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-16, 12:20   #33
dcw123

Is it the first? I could have sworn there were others before that?
What about the optional tombs and caverns?

Depends on what you class as a Tomb I guess..

No need to get malicious about it - and I stand by my point - a lot of Crystals writing has much to be desired.
I found LAU had better storytelling overall.. Just my opinion.

Its just the fact she says the line, and then like 2 seconds later is like "Wooow. I love them now!"
They should have at least put a smaller tomb in there first for her to say the line - then go through a bit more of the level.. then come across the main tomb later.
dcw123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-16, 13:59   #34
Daring Do

Quote:
Its just the fact she says the line, and then like 2 seconds later is like "Wooow. I love them now!"
She wasn't being serious about hating them tho, and that's part of what makes the line funny. It's like she got so distracted by how much she loves tombs, she forgot she was mad at them.
Daring Do is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-16, 17:01   #35
malferink

Quote:
Is it the first? I could have sworn there were others before that?
What about the optional tombs and caverns?

Depends on what you class as a Tomb I guess..

No need to get malicious about it - and I stand by my point - a lot of Crystals writing has much to be desired.
I found LAU had better storytelling overall.. Just my opinion.

They should have at least put a smaller tomb in there first for her to say the line - then go through a bit more of the level.. then come across the main tomb later.
It is the very first tomb she enters. She's amazed at the murals and the history, but she's still a bit disgusted when opening the sarcophagus. I don't see any holes here.

Regarding the story, yeah... It's left a lot to be desired. But to say it's worse than LAU? Apart from Legend the whole trilogy, story-wise, was one big fat mess. Still, saying the writers are incompetent... that's not really needed right?
malferink is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-16, 18:28   #36
Rai

Lara wasn't changing her mind from not liking tombs to seconds later loving it. The entire expedition was to discover Yamatai, it just didn't go to plan. She most certainly wasn't expecting to go through so much to find Himiko's tomb either. She literally just had to shuffle her way through narrow tunnels with blood, gore, body parts and bones followed by jumping into a space with dirt, cobwebs and flies in her face. What she said was an impulse reaction to what she'd just gone through. Then she turns around and is immediately reminded why she loves tombs. As said above, she was immediately confronted by murals and the history, which was her interest.

If we're gonna compare to Core Lara, what indication did we get that she loves dank, dingy and dirty tombs specifically? She plays for sport, but from playing the game, we learn what her sport is. It's traversing dangerous locations and passing traps with skill, so we can interpret she's a bit of an adrenaline junkie . TR1 Lara also shows an interest in the myth and history, reading the murals in the tombs. Her goal is the artefact, and she'll go to any lengths to get it. But, let's be honest, would even CoreLara be happy to wade through those same tunnels? I doubt it. But she probably wouldn't have said 'I hate tombs', she may have voiced her discussed in some way, like 'how undignified'.

Last edited by Rai; 17-11-16 at 18:30.
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-16, 19:21   #37
AntRaidsTombs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
Lara wasn't changing her mind from not liking tombs to seconds later loving it. The entire expedition was to discover Yamatai, it just didn't go to plan. She most certainly wasn't expecting to go through so much to find Himiko's tomb either. She literally just had to shuffle her way through narrow tunnels with blood, gore, body parts and bones followed by jumping into a space with dirt, cobwebs and flies in her face. What she said was an impulse reaction to what she'd just gone through. Then she turns around and is immediately reminded why she loves tombs. As said above, she was immediately confronted by murals and the history, which was her interest.

If we're gonna compare to Core Lara, what indication did we get that she loves dank, dingy and dirty tombs specifically? She plays for sport, but from playing the game, we learn what her sport is. It's traversing dangerous locations and passing traps with skill, so we can interpret she's a bit of an adrenaline junkie . TR1 Lara also shows an interest in the myth and history, reading the murals in the tombs. Her goal is the artefact, and she'll go to any lengths to get it. But, let's be honest, would even CoreLara be happy to wade through those same tunnels? I doubt it. But she probably wouldn't have said 'I hate tombs', she may have voiced her discussed in some way, like 'how undignified'.
http://imgur.com/a/wPBAx Perfect explanation Rai

Last edited by AntRaidsTombs; 17-11-16 at 19:22.
AntRaidsTombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-16, 19:34   #38
ESCachuli

I've said it before but I think you are taking too seriously a punch line. I really found it funny and well, sometimes you say you hate something you love. Like for example, I like pharmacy but sometimes I hate studying it. This is the same.

For one light-hearted moment the game had, you don't have to overanalyze it. I'm pretty sure Core Lara could have said the same in her first tomb-y adventure if it was like the Yamatai one.
ESCachuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-16, 15:13   #39
larafan25

If we are going to compare Core Lara to this Lara, this Lara is more prestigious and a book-worm. She's got a fascination with the tombs, the language, the mummies, the geology.

Classic Lara lived for the reasons that this Lara "hates tombs". I think that's why such a silly, ironic line is being analyzed. The characters are fundamentally different.

This Lara is searching for something, and the adventure is sort of the means to the end. It's more than she asks for each time. Whereas with classic Lara, it's exactly what she wants, she's in it for the adrenaline, for the chase, for the fights. Even though there are times when those may get on her nerves too. They still have a fundamentally different intention.

Classic Lara likes the tombs that classic fans like.
larafan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-16, 15:25   #40
lizardspock110

I wonder if you guys analyse easter eggs like this....

Or that line in anniversary; "sooner or later you'll run out of bullets"

lizardspock110 is offline   Reply With Quote