Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > General Chat

Old 18-11-17, 15:52   #11781
NoahCrofRaider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post
Personally I did like Angelina's portrayal of Lara (a lot actually), but I'm disappointed to hear she had this attitude toward the character behind the scenes.
My feelings about this.
NoahCrofRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-17, 02:28   #11782
lance6439

Lara Croft wasn't really taken seriously back then, pretty much isn't either today (she's not even that well-remembered by the general public) I defend Angelina's initial reaction. Why blame her for it? blame Toby Gard and the marketing team back then. Because of them, Lara Croft today (when remembered by people) is justs boobs and guns. That pretty much sums up her legacy by the general public. I wonder what picture of Lara she's talking about, though?
lance6439 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-17, 03:02   #11783
NoahCrofRaider

Quote:
Originally Posted by lance6439 View Post
Lara Croft wasn't really taken seriously back then, pretty much isn't either today (she's not even that well-remembered by the general public) I defend Angelina's initial reaction. Why blame her for it? blame Toby Gard and the marketing team back then. Because of them, Lara Croft today (when remembered by people) is justs boobs and guns. That pretty much sums up her legacy by the general public. I wonder what picture of Lara she's talking about, though?
I wouldn't blame Toby Gard. He wasn't going to make Lara all "boobs and guns". Core were the ones who "told" him to shape Lara into that, sort of. I think that may have been one of the reasons he left.
Old 19-11-17, 03:20   #11784
lance6439

Lol. I'm pretty sure he enjoyed sexualising Lara. Just look at the TR1 concept arts as well as the Legend concept arts in the 20 year book. Him pretending to be ashamed that Lara was being sexualized feels like it's all an act so he doesn't look like a pervert to people that bought the games and whatnot.
lance6439 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-17, 03:35   #11785
NoahCrofRaider

I'm not claiming he didn't enjoy it. More like not feeling proud of it maybe.

All the same, this is, for better or for worse, who Lara is seen as by some today.
Old 19-11-17, 22:36   #11786
Yeauxleaux

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajay119 View Post
I couldn't stand the arrogant, tom boyesque id never wear a dress character she portrayed Lara as.
The dress thing was one part of the first movie I didn't really understand too.

This is Lara Croft. She doesn't care what she looks like crawling through muddy jungles, or throwing on random jackets she finds lying around to survive the Himalayas... but a dress? A dress bothers her? That's just silly and out of character. In fact she has been shown wearing dresses and other relatively feminine items of clothing throughout the games.

TR1 Lara wasn't that sexualised (especially in the games, that was more of a marketing thing). I think it genuinely started from a place of exaggerating her to make it obvious she was a woman in a time of terrible graphics, then it went from there because she had big boobs and wore shorts. She became more notorious for her "sexy" assets in later games... after Toby Gard left.

I also don't think it's fair to reduce Lara down to boobs and guns and say that's all people remember her for. She was a bold adventurous woman, who worked alone in a time where that was virtually unheard of. Yes, believe it or not that actually was groundbreaking as recently as the 90s. While the early games were whimsical and light-hearted and while Lara definitely was sexualised (I don't deny that) there was a character there that people liked and it's unfair to deny that. In fact that era was Lara at the peak of her popularity, and the legacy of that original incarnation of Lara is what has carried the series on for so long.

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; 21-11-17 at 15:16.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-17, 02:09   #11787
Rai

So I purchased TR1 onto my phone and I never noticed that Lara's details are in her passport before. Is this new for the mobile edition? Also Lara Amelia? first I heard of a middle name, not least that it's her mother's name (in Crystal's version anyway).

Last edited by Rai; 23-11-17 at 02:11.
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-17, 17:59   #11788
TR1249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
So I purchased TR1 onto my phone and I never noticed that Lara's details are in her passport before. Is this new for the mobile edition? Also Lara Amelia? first I heard of a middle name, not least that it's her mother's name (in Crystal's version anyway).
That came with the new textures for the Mobile version.

This has to be the best TR Magazine Cover ever

https://78.media.tumblr.com/38cf75b8...50hio8_500.jpg
TR1249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-17, 19:46   #11789
NoahCrofRaider

^ That looks awesome!
Old 26-11-17, 09:37   #11790
Trenton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post
The dress thing was one part of the first movie I didn't really understand too.

This is Lara Croft. She doesn't care what she looks like crawling through muddy jungles, or throwing on random jackets she finds lying around to survive the Himalayas... but a dress? A dress bothers her? That's just silly and out of character. In fact she has been shown wearing dresses and other relatively feminine items of clothing throughout the games.
Well, the TR films have their own continuity and interpretation of the Lara Croft character and thus should not be held up against what Lara would or wouldn't wear or do in the Core games.

IMO it is far more jarring to see how she doesn't want to wear a dress in the first film only to wear that outrageous outfit she wears during the prison sequence in Cradle of Life. That's a dressing choice that basically contradicts what's been established in the first film.
Trenton is offline   Reply With Quote