Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Rise of the Tomb Raider

Old 26-05-18, 17:45   #21
TrustyBow

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodydog View Post
One thing I'm sure I've said in the past too, does anyone else realise that the classic Tomb Raider elements, even the layout and the design of the levels themselves can be so easily embedded into this modern formula as challenge tombs, side quests... just scattered around the over-world.
Well I think the point is that they're trying to do something new.
TrustyBow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-18, 18:24   #22
moodydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustyBow View Post
Well I think the point is that they're trying to do something new.
Hmm interesting, in what sense of new? I wouldn't confuse the term classic meaning inherently old... I'm using it to state the elements which I think TR (as a whole) take full ownership of (or should do). And having more complex, puzzle focused sequences with open ended tombs to explore, (which I suppose coincides quite nicely with the tradition TR games) is something that TR (historically) does very proudly, and is very much embedded in its identity.
moodydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-18, 01:23   #23
TrustyBow

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodydog View Post
Hmm interesting, in what sense of new? I wouldn't confuse the term classic meaning inherently old... I'm using it to state the elements which I think TR (as a whole) take full ownership of (or should do). And having more complex, puzzle focused sequences with open ended tombs to explore, (which I suppose coincides quite nicely with the tradition TR games) is something that TR (historically) does very proudly, and is very much embedded in its identity.
Yeah but as we've seen, CD/ED seem to intentionally ignore certain traits of the old series to try to make their own mark on the franchise. That's part of why we have yet to see the dual pistols or braid or shorts.

Although we may see more classic inspired tombs in Shadow. I don't know if you're following one of the threads over in that section, but the director said Shadow will have the hardest puzzles in the series. Many take that to mean a return to form for tombs.
TrustyBow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-18, 08:17   #24
moodydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustyBow View Post
Yeah but as we've seen, CD/ED seem to intentionally ignore certain traits of the old series to try to make their own mark on the franchise. That's part of why we have yet to see the dual pistols or braid or shorts.

Although we may see more classic inspired tombs in Shadow. I don't know if you're following one of the threads over in that section, but the director said Shadow will have the hardest puzzles in the series. Many take that to mean a return to form for tombs.
yep, though those things you mentioned, the braid, duals and shorts are actually cosmetic and character defining and don't really have a impact on gameplay... maybe the dual pistols to some extent, as it defined how we shoot, though I'd much prefer a single point of sight for the over the shoulder aim and shoot mechanics, than aiming with two guns, which is why I'm not arsed about the dual pistols returning (or the braid or shorts).

Aah that's good, I hope they are more classic inspired.
moodydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-18, 10:11   #25
supraspecies

I didn't notice any mention of "Trinity" in first game. It was a pure survival game. I think they came up with "Trinity" when it came to Rise of the Tomb Raider. So I wouldn't call it "trilogy" per se.

It's much like with Batman games. The real Joker trilogy is Origins-Asylum-City. Arkham Knight is a bit out of place.

Last edited by supraspecies; 04-06-18 at 10:13.
supraspecies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-18, 10:41   #26
Vaskito

Quote:
Originally Posted by supraspecies View Post
I didn't notice any mention of "Trinity" in first game. It was a pure survival game. I think they came up with "Trinity" when it came to Rise of the Tomb Raider. So I wouldn't call it "trilogy" per se.

It's much like with Batman games. The real Joker trilogy is Origins-Asylum-City. Arkham Knight is a bit out of place.
Trinity is definitely mentioned in TR2013 in at least a series of journals, as well as the plane that crashes when Lara calls for help
Vaskito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-18, 17:51   #27
Samz

If Rise had been the first game, my opinion on the second reboot wouldn't have really changed, I'd still completely hate it, since it basically throws out everything for modern trends that I don't really like, and the stories are abysmal (seriously did anyone take Konstantin's back story seriously? its completely dumb)

Last edited by Samz; 05-06-18 at 17:53.
Samz is online now   Reply With Quote