Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 28-09-16, 16:56   #1
benjamin_2010

Arrow Finally Giving This a Chance

I know - I'm probably the hundredth person to create such a thread. However, I've waited literal years to actually play this game, so I want to talk about it. Why am I just now playing? I want to be caught up so that I can play ROTTR when it releases on PS4 (I bought it for the classic costumes, truthfully).

So, here are some things I like VS things I dislike:

- fast paced, action packed
- smooth, easy to control
- atmosphere is very gritty, feels like a top quality game like MGS
- story has caught my interest, they only give away bits at a time
- combat is rewarding, utilizes multiple methods of approach
- fun problem solving/thinking like releasing gas into a room and throwing a lantern in there to blow up the bullet-proof glass. Huzzah!

DISLIKE
- there is too much combat. I feel like I go from area to area simply to kill bad guys.
- I die a lot in combat. Maybe I am just not good at it, but it's frustrating. Especially in ambushes.
- I have no idea where I'm at in the game. I just keep reaching new campfires, which I guess are new areas? I went from dark and rainy area to snowy to sunny. So I guess I'm progressing, but I don't really know when it is happening.
- the upgrade system was a little confusing to me at first and I think I wasted skill points on things that don't matter
- camilla's voice feels forced to me :/ not a big fan. Especially at points when Lara is in trouble/screaming
- just does not feel like I'm playing tomb raider. I feel like I'm playing a resident evil mixed with metal gear solid game. This is a good and bad thing -- it plays well, it's fun, but I'm wondering when I'll get the chance to slow down the pace and explore without killing hoards of enemies, narrowly escape death, etc..

For reference, I'm at the part where Lara wants to save the surviving pilot after meeting up with Roth. Again - have no idea if this is a "level" or what this area is called..
benjamin_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-16, 18:16   #2
JayB18

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin_2010 View Post
I know - I'm probably the hundredth person to create such a thread. However, I've waited literal years to actually play this game, so I want to talk about it. Why am I just now playing? I want to be caught up so that I can play ROTTR when it releases on PS4 (I bought it for the classic costumes, truthfully).

So, here are some things I like VS things I dislike:

- fast paced, action packed
- smooth, easy to control
- atmosphere is very gritty, feels like a top quality game like MGS
- story has caught my interest, they only give away bits at a time
- combat is rewarding, utilizes multiple methods of approach
- fun problem solving/thinking like releasing gas into a room and throwing a lantern in there to blow up the bullet-proof glass. Huzzah!

DISLIKE
- there is too much combat. I feel like I go from area to area simply to kill bad guys.
- I die a lot in combat. Maybe I am just not good at it, but it's frustrating. Especially in ambushes.
- I have no idea where I'm at in the game. I just keep reaching new campfires, which I guess are new areas? I went from dark and rainy area to snowy to sunny. So I guess I'm progressing, but I don't really know when it is happening.
- the upgrade system was a little confusing to me at first and I think I wasted skill points on things that don't matter
- camilla's voice feels forced to me :/ not a big fan. Especially at points when Lara is in trouble/screaming
- just does not feel like I'm playing tomb raider. I feel like I'm playing a resident evil mixed with metal gear solid game. This is a good and bad thing -- it plays well, it's fun, but I'm wondering when I'll get the chance to slow down the pace and explore without killing hoards of enemies, narrowly escape death, etc..

For reference, I'm at the part where Lara wants to save the surviving pilot after meeting up with Roth. Again - have no idea if this is a "level" or what this area is called..
Hope you are enjoying it. There aren't really separate levels like in the classics but the campfires do allow you to fast travel between areas of the island once you reach them. Have you been doing the optional tombs and exploring the large open areas? What are your thoughts on those? Those are really the only times it slows down. Rise does feel a bit more like proper TR with more quiet sections and multiple crypts, caves, and tombs to explore.

Last edited by JayB18; 28-09-16 at 18:19.
JayB18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-16, 19:12   #3
benjamin_2010

I am not sure. Honestly, the map is disorienting to me. I'm not sure if I have or can find any hidden tombs. I did one... in the village, I think... where Lara had to burn bags off an elevated platform to reach the top. It was fun. Maybe called tomb of ascension? Haven't seen any others.

I have been afraid to fast travel (silly, I know) because I'm afraid of getting sidetracked, lost, etc. I'm just bumbling through the map really, I don't feel like I have a major sense of direction about the whole thing.
Old 28-09-16, 19:25   #4
Wooxman

Wow, that's a really honest review without any blind hate against Crystal or the new direction of TR.

Don't worry about getting sidetracked. The hubs (every big area of the game is one hub) aren't as big as a GTA city and exploring and solving optional tombs reward you with additional XP and salvage to get new upgrades.
Wooxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-16, 20:06   #5
benjamin_2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooxman View Post
Wow, that's a really honest review without any blind hate against Crystal or the new direction of TR.
Thank you. I am going into it with a blank slate and an open mind. I was very opposed to everything when it came out, and I played it for less than an hour; it was put it away until now (couple of years).

I guess now I appreciate what they've done with Lara. I like that there is less emphasis on her as a sexy woman with giant boobs and playing Barbie doll dress up (tomb raider legend...) I think this was a requirement to put her in the realm of "serious" top tier games. I'd still like to see them incorporate more of the old Lara into this Lara as she grows.

I wonder how far along I am in the game though? I don't have any way of gauging by locale (other games, you know that she'll go from location A to location B, then location C).

It has a completion percent, but I haven't 100% completed the areas I already went through. I think it'll be fun to fast travel back to the beginning and see what I missed the first time around.
Old 28-09-16, 20:16   #6
JayB18

Quote:
I am not sure. Honestly, the map is disorienting to me. I'm not sure if I have or can find any hidden tombs. I did one... in the village, I think... where Lara had to burn bags off an elevated platform to reach the top. It was fun. Maybe called tomb of ascension? Haven't seen any others.

I have been afraid to fast travel (silly, I know) because I'm afraid of getting sidetracked, lost, etc. I'm just bumbling through the map really, I don't feel like I have a major sense of direction about the whole thing.
Its hard to get lost really even if it seems like it. Id take the time to do the optional tombs. There is one more in the village you can access now. They are short and easy for the most part but worth doing and give you some downtime and puzzle solving.
JayB18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-16, 20:26   #7
benjamin_2010

Thumbs down

Well I sat down and played this some more, since I got ROTTR for PS4 the day it came out.

I'm freaking SO ANNOYED by the amount of combat. AND I suck at it, so that makes everything 100x's worse. I just replayed the same gunfight TEN TIMES and died every single attempt. Over. It.

I've really enjoyed the segments where you AREN'T in the middle of some giant gunfight (which only seems to be about 40% of the game). Seriously... HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE ON THIS ****ING ISLAND.

#rant
Old 13-10-16, 20:50   #8
sackboy123

Same Reasons why I hate Reboot era
sackboy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-16, 22:06   #9
Rai

Quote:
Well I sat down and played this some more, since I got ROTTR for PS4 the day it came out.

I'm freaking SO ANNOYED by the amount of combat. AND I suck at it, so that makes everything 100x's worse. I just replayed the same gunfight TEN TIMES and died every single attempt. Over. It.

I've really enjoyed the segments where you AREN'T in the middle of some giant gunfight (which only seems to be about 40% of the game). Seriously... HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE ON THIS ****ING ISLAND.

#rant
It did get annoying, especially as you reach the last quarter. I enjoy much of the reboot, but the sheer numbers can be overwhelming. RotTR is better in that there are more options for stealth combat or even avoid if you're smart. It's really good that you're giving the game a chance though. There are many good points, imo.

Last edited by Rai; 13-10-16 at 22:07.
Rai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-16, 00:35   #10
dodgerfan4eva

I liked the game but, than again this Tomb raider was my first tomb raider game i played in the serious. so my opinion is invalid.
dodgerfan4eva is offline   Reply With Quote