Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider Motion Pictures, Shows and Shorts

Old 31-10-16, 10:20   #1
Tonyrobinson

Default New details emerge on film and backstory

So I can't link to the full article as you need to subscribe but basically it states that the film starts with Lara living in East London and the film features a supporting female and real relationships with the characters and how important it is that it passed the Bechdel test for her because the films focus on females. Sounds definitely like it ties in with the game universe. It also mentions that she will wear clothes from the 2013 reboot.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/magazine/c...ough-ppw389tgt

Last edited by Tonyrobinson; 31-10-16 at 11:11.
Tonyrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-16, 11:01   #2
Heidi_w_

TR2018 passing the Bechdel test can only mean good things -- *dances*
Heidi_w_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-16, 11:17   #3
Zebra

Living in East London? So they're going to use the reboot bio, huh? I mean, it kind of was to be expected but I still can't help but be disappointed. Good news about the Bechdel test, though.
Zebra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-16, 13:19   #4
shockwave_pulsar00

I hope that means Sam is indeed in the film and they dont, "invent" a friend.
shockwave_pulsar00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-16, 13:23   #5
Zebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockwave_pulsar00 View Post
I hope that means Sam is indeed in the film and they dont, "invent" a friend.
They'll have to "invent" one either way, considering Sam was an empty husk of a character. There's barely anything to her they could use, I mean, hell, her one defining character trait is "constantly gets kidnapped". So yeah, even if they do use Sam, they'll have to come up with their own character and personality for her because she simply didn't have one in the game.

I just hope the writer actually looked at the entire TR franchise and all iterations of Lara before working on the script, rather than just the reboot games.

Last edited by Zebra; 31-10-16 at 13:24.
Zebra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-16, 13:37   #6
James_Rutland

Doesn't Lara live in the West end in the games? The Threatre district? Not East London. Oh well! That's a minor detail. Interesting that she says there are actually relationships and stories. I'm guessing they're going to build up the side characters far better than the Reboot did.
James_Rutland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-16, 14:07   #7
OrangeFr3ak

I wonder if they'll stick to Lara having studied at UCL and being the same age at 21 years old or being slightly older like 22-25 while still being inexperienced...
OrangeFr3ak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-16, 14:17   #8
shockwave_pulsar00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
They'll have to "invent" one either way, considering Sam was an empty husk of a character. There's barely anything to her they could use, I mean, hell, her one defining character trait is "constantly gets kidnapped". So yeah, even if they do use Sam, they'll have to come up with their own character and personality for her because she simply didn't have one in the game.

I just hope the writer actually looked at the entire TR franchise and all iterations of Lara before working on the script, rather than just the reboot games.
You know exactly what I meant when I made that post. I don't want them doing something like adding some random blonde haired white girl to be Lara's friend. AKA I don't want them to whitewash the cast.

Also, you are simplifying Sam's character way too much. She was shown several times as being a good friend to Lara, including standing up to Reyes on Lara's behalf. Beyond that, Sam picked up a gun a killed a few Solarii without resorting to tears. Did she get kidnapped one too many times? Without question! Obviously, I would like that changed.
shockwave_pulsar00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-16, 14:17   #9
Rai

Yep, it was West London. Although, in Rise it looked like she'd moved into cheaper accommodation. Perhaps the film decided to start her off there.

Anyway, that's not much to go on, but that explains the filming here in the UK, I guess.

If Sam is in it, it's possible they looked at the comics to get more of an idea of her character too, as well as talking to CD.

Last edited by Rai; 31-10-16 at 14:20.
Rai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-16, 14:36   #10
James_Rutland

They should really cast the lady from Suicide Squad.

Karen Fukuhara I think her name is, she'd be literally perfect and I can actually picture liking her depending on the script if they choose her.
http://www.media2.hw-static.com/medi...mdb-020116.jpg
James_Rutland is offline   Reply With Quote