www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future Tomb Raider Games

Old 20-02-17, 14:40   #101
Patrick star
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trenton View Post
I agree it wasn't the primal mechanic, but it is a bit ironic that ROTTR had more emphasise on this and implemented it better than TR2013, a game that should be very much about survival.

And I agree ROTTR wasn't all about survial, there was plenty of tomb raiding too, but I do think there was just a little too much emphasize on the survival and crafting system for my taste. I would likely have appreciated something like that more in TR2013 than in ROTTR.
Oh yeah it was definitely jarring , like why the hell crafting wasn't introduced in a game about survival and was replaced with regenerating health instead
Old 21-02-17, 18:00   #102
Dennis's Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick star View Post
I could even argue further and say that there were actual snippets of crafting in the classics , hasn't Lara combined a metal blade and a wooden handle to craft a shovel to dig her way down the Sphinx ? she didn't bring a shovel with her , she crafted one from her environment , same in Gallows tree , when she combined a rubber tube and a pitchfork and crafted a catapult without which she would've been unable to progress , a piece of cloth and Chloroform to craft a stealthy deadly weapon in the VCI , and so on .
To be fair, I was not a fan of it when Core did it. I find the solutions to that sort of crafting "puzzle" obscure, not intuitive. It's like melting the wax and and the handle in Silent Hill 2 to a trap door to open it: I know wax would never work for that, so I would never think of it.

Games have tendency to make up **** that doesn't work in real life, but expect us to think along game world logic to solve those types of puzzles. In mechanics, you often get a lot exposure with game logic to make educated assumptions as to how things work enough to solve a puzzle. With items, it's just through **** against the wall and see what sticks. They're one shots; no experience to draw on to make educated guesses and the only thing you learn for subsequent gameplay is "try every combination."

Quote:
But she won't be able to carry an unlimited amount of everything .
No, but neither do we need to see her eke out some sort existence either. Watching Lara live has never made Tomb Raider fun. Playing the game was fun, and while I'm hustling for daily bread or meds, I'm not playing the game.

Oh wait--yes I am because that is the game now. That and blam blam blam.

Quote:
Which is why I said some resources should be scarcer in the next game , but not every resource , for example , I can't see how they could make us discover wood , as trees are everywhere when we speak about a forest , same with mushrooms . However , there were some resources in Rise that were exclusive to some specific places , which I liked , and I would like to see that expanded .
I would prefer the game go back to being rewarded for exploration with things you can use, not trash I'm supposed to McGyver into an RPG or snack or a band aid.

There is nothing more inherently noble about find leaves than health item unless you enjoy playing survival simulator which I do not. I find it to be busywork gameplay that CD thinks fills out their game or at least adheres to their "this is what other successful games are doing" design theory.
Old 21-02-17, 20:15   #103
Enya Brennan
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis's Mom View Post
I would prefer the game go back to being rewarded for exploration with things you can use, not trash I'm supposed to McGyver into an RPG or snack or a band aid.
Something I'm still waiting for in the current rebooted series is exactly what you mention Even though I appreciated the expanded focus on environmental resourcefulness in Rise, going as far as reintroducing a primitive inventory and a crafting system that lets us utilise all what the surroundings give us (as Patrick star wonderfully put it, it quite enhances the feeling of turning the world you're exploring into a constant provider of necessary material, instead of conveniently finding items across the location), I'm still missing that aspect of the Classic games.

It's not that hard to incorporate mandatory exploration and useful goods into regular gameplay. Take relics and documents and turn them into needed objects you have to collect in order to progress, in a way or another. Relics could be traded in a supply shack - esque spot to receive information or articles that help us go farther. Documents could give hints to discover hidden places or decipher codes so that we can enter certain tombs... Croft Manor in Rise already put some of this into practice, but it needs to get developed and taken further.

What I'm afraid is that the general audience isn't willing to spend their time and bother with complicated game systems, so perhaps Crystal won't bring such things to us anytime soon
Old 21-02-17, 20:39   #104
larafan25
Legend

What a strange and silly discussion, in my opinion.

Hold these rebooted games to a standard or definition set by a different series of games by arguing for the "Tomb-Raidery-ness" of something that was not ever in those original games.

Is there really any question that the crafting as it is, and to the extent that it is, in the reboot, is beyond what Tomb Raider calls for?

Medi packs that are found in sizes big and small will always be more "Tomb Raidery" than crafting a solution.
Old 21-02-17, 20:57   #105
Patrick star
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by larafan25 View Post
What a strange and silly discussion, in my opinion.
Better keep your distance then