Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Chronicles

Old 29-10-17, 03:24   #61
benjamin_2010

Chronicles is an alright game. It feels like a Gold expansion pack of TR4. The Rome section is entirely too short & too easy. Every time I play that section, I want more. The submarine levels are good. Ireland is nice & spooky, but I still kinda dislike young Lara. The VCI levels are a standout segment of TR history. I've never encountered any bugs in that area of the game but I honestly haven't finished it that many times.

It is a game that deserves more love than it gets, tho.
benjamin_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-17, 15:42   #62
SoraRenard

I love Chronicles, especially Rome and Ireland. I don't know if nostalgia have influence on this, but tthe atmosphere of that game is amazing. And playing as a young Lara on that creepy place was so fun!
SoraRenard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-17, 02:39   #63
TonyLee

The cutscene with Lara hanging onto the ledge, and Pierre helping her up only to finally fall is the best cutscene in all of the classics in my opinion. "Don't let me hold you up" is perfect!
TonyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-17, 20:02   #64
Patrick star

^In my opinion , it's a perfect candidate for the worst cutscene ever in the franchise . It's just so cringe-worthy and very out-of-character I just pretend it doesn't exist , Lara would never settle for such cheap methods to get herself out of precarious situations , it's just not her in that cutscene .

That , if we wanted to pass over the fact that Pierre died for the second time here (okay , or first , but he still died in TR1) and that if you let Lara hang off that very ledge in-game she would be perfectly able to pull herself up without a helping hand .

Last edited by Patrick star; 04-11-17 at 22:16.
Patrick star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-17, 06:35   #65
Yeauxleaux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick star View Post
^In my opinion , it's a perfect candidate for the worst cutscene ever in the franchise . It's just so cringe-worthy and very out-of-character I just pretend it doesn't exist , Lara would never settle for such cheap methods to get herself out of precarious situations , it's just not her in that cutscene .

That , if we wanted to pass over the fact that Pierre died for the second time here (okay , or first , but he still died in TR1) and that if you let Lara hang off that very ledge in-game she would be perfectly able to pull herself up without a helping hand .
I'm guessing maybe she was worried Pierre would push her off as she tried to climb? Or he was just flat in her way.

Otherwise I agree though. Even by Lara's standards it was a bit cold after he helped her up, and there's the logical inconsistency of him dying twice. Unless we're supposed to believe it's coincidentally another Frenchman called Pierre who is connected to Larson, who also conveniently looks exactly the same, but fat chance.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-17, 10:22   #66
Patrick star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post
I'm guessing maybe she was worried Pierre would push her off as she tried to climb?

He wouldn't have helped her up in the first place . If Pierre was smarter , he could've easily searched her backpack while she's still hanging off , snatched the stone and then trod on her fingers and let her fall to her doom , but apparently it's either he's just so dumb or simply good-natured .

It could've been way better if it was like this : he helps her , she gets up and just kicks him down unconscious , disarm him and leave . That way , she still respected her word (technically , she didn't lay a finger on him , but a toe ) and it didn't seem overly cold and bitchy to put him in the same situation after he saved her life .

Or the best case scenario ? just scrap this scene altogether honestly .

Last edited by Patrick star; 05-11-17 at 10:24.
Patrick star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-17, 15:36   #67
Mokono

Oh, well. This is the most controversial episode in Lara's history (along with shooting that 'poor' helicopter pilot). To me, it doesn't make sense that Pierre died, firstly because you get to see him in TR1 (where he is gone for good after the shootout), secondly because even though we all heard his 'crack', TRC is nothing but a tale told by Lara's friends. If Lara thought Pierre was gone, she would have told the story that way and then her friends would have also told it the same way. Since they are recalling Lara's accounts and she herself didn't actually corroborate Pierre's demise, i say there's a bit of a chance they are exaggerating and Pierre actually survived.

Besides, i've cheated my way to the pit and couldn't find Pierre.

(Which in turn doesn't mean much because bodies disappear in TRC and TLR) .
Mokono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-17, 20:05   #68
NoahCrofRaider

For me, the only saving grace about that cutscene was seeing Lara tumble down the slope. Everything else was inconsistent and just simply out of place.
NoahCrofRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-17, 03:58   #69
trfan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick star View Post

The whole Pierre and Larson arc was lazy writing. They were turned into a couple of comic relief goons in this section. And then there was that scene you mentioned where Lara lets Pierre fall to his "death". As someone mentioned earlier , it's possible this section (along with the rest of Chronicles) has a different interpretation since it was a retelling of events by people close to Lara Croft. . But I believe Core confirmed that the Rome section (along with rest of Chronicles) was canon in some media outlet?

As for the game itself, Chronicles is easily my least favorite game in the series. The game felt like a nothing but a cash grab and didn't offer much diversity compared to TRIV. It might as well been called "Tomb Raider IV: Gold." The only highlight for me is the Ireland section, which was definitely one of my favorite locations in the TR series. The horror setting was top-notch and I liked how it focused more on platforming and less on combat. The supernatural elements were great too. Otherwise, Rome was bland and boring, Russia wasn't great despite the fact that I love underwater levels, and I hate VCI with a passion. With that being said, if you're a hardcore Classic fan, this game is definitely worth checking out.

Last edited by trfan16; 07-11-17 at 03:59.
trfan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-17, 04:13   #70
jackraider
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anakzunamuhn View Post
I can only say that i find this Lara the smoothest one of the Core Era. Don't know if there's some real improvement since LR, but i found her very enjoyable to maneuver. Maybe it's the environment, that being more polished and simplistic
I think it's a lot with the how the environments are built. Lara doesn't transverse on triangular surfaces all that much like in TRIII and IV. Thus, levels are easier to maneuver around in. Also, the levels, like you said are very simplistic and linear. In fact, the levels in Chronicles are more in tune with the original TR in terms of fundamentals. However, unlike the original, Chronicles lacks prestigious level design and remarkable vistas. The only section that actually comes close to this is the Ireland portion, and even when compared to TR1's levels—are still much smaller in scale.

Last edited by jackraider; 16-11-17 at 04:18.
jackraider is offline   Reply With Quote