Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Anniversary

Old 26-08-16, 14:01   #5601
Tombraiderplay
Inactive

Did they build the engine off the AOD one ?

Or create one from scratch ?
Tombraiderplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-16, 14:02   #5602
ESCachuli

I assume that everything that makes free running a parkour game would have been changed. F.e.: having to press a button after every fall not to loose momentum, and such.

I have to say I'm neither fond on "Melissa", not even the idea of her being a cousin. Of course she isnt even cannon, I think she was merely for coop purpouse (and optional play). I dont like the wall scrambling neither and that appeared on the trailers. Also, I think that polished AoD controls would have been better than free running ones. But still I'd love to see TRAE leaked.
ESCachuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-16, 14:12   #5603
Zebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombraiderplay View Post
Did they build the engine off the AOD one ?

Or create one from scratch ?
I think they built a new one from scratch (for Free Running, that is, and they used a modified version of the Free Running engine for TRAE) but I'm not 100% certain.
Zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-16, 14:18   #5604
dcw123

Well from what I watched in the trailers, the movements looked pretty much like they did in TR1-5 (the way she 'turns' when running is more like the classics than AOD, where she turns sharply)
The only new things I could see is the animations she climbs up things and grabbing..
dcw123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-16, 15:09   #5605
LaraCablara

This is why I am skeptical of Core Designs efforts with TRAE. The AOD controls and camera literally were among the biggest reasons other than the bugs that the game was critically panned. The classic controls and AOD controls were both already outdated by 2003. Why did they insist on trying to fix them or incorporate them? Nobody should look at the TRAE trailer from 2006 and say it looks like a 1996 control scheme, even if it wasn't finished. At this point just rip off a control scheme from a popular game and adapt it to Tomb Raider if you can't make a nice modern one yourselves.

The fact that they would praise themselves for creating an amazing control system in Free Running when reviews seem to say it wasn't all that great is alarming.

I read that they even wanted to release AOD with d pad controls instead of analog until Sony stepped in. IN 2003! Makes me think this company was out of touch regarding this sort of thing

Last edited by LaraCablara; 26-08-16 at 15:11.
LaraCablara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-16, 17:23   #5606
Wooxman

The AoD PS2 control scheme itself isn't bad, it's just that the movements are badly executed. With a bit more fluidity when it comes to turning Lara around, it would play like any other game from 2003.
Wooxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-16, 17:45   #5607
Zelda master

So I'm playing Free Running as I'm typing this and I'm surprised how well it actually works. It's no PoP in terms of how smooth it is, but if you've played it you'll probably know how it would've controlled to an extend. I have no doubt that the actual game would've smoothed the controls, but the underlaying engine seems a good fit for the game.
Zelda master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-16, 22:56   #5608
CheshireBitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooxman View Post
The game used the same engine as Free Running, so maybe that's a character from that game. Maybe someone who has played Free Running can confirm this.
We have concept Art of Melissa Croft, this is definitly her look. (still maybe not final one) but clearly not a place holder from another game.

Maybe she was supposed to be like 13/14 years old.
CheshireBitch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-16, 23:02   #5609
Zebra

^Yup, Melissa Croft has been explicitly mentioned as the second character for the game's co-op mode and that is her in the screenshot, not a character from Free Running.
Zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-16, 12:06   #5610
disapearing-boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaraCablara View Post
Nobody should look at the TRAE trailer from 2006 and say it looks like a 1996 control scheme, even if it wasn't finished. At this point just rip off a control scheme from a popular game and adapt it to Tomb Raider if you can't make a nice modern one yourselves.
That trailer was not a public trailer but only for work presentations. I got the impression that they ported TR1 first and then changed it bit by bit from inside out. This could be a very early version.

Also Free-Running hadn't been released so it's possible it was still being developed too.

Quote:
The fact that they would praise themselves for creating an amazing control system in Free Running when reviews seem to say it wasn't all that great is alarming.
Yeah that is a concern.

Quote:
I read that they even wanted to release AOD with d pad controls instead of analog until Sony stepped in. IN 2003! Makes me think this company was out of touch regarding this sort of thing
Yes, I agree that is absurd. Absolutely absurd.
disapearing-boy is offline   Reply With Quote