www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Legend

Old 13-09-17, 01:36   #1
Alpharaider47
Tomb Raider

Lightbulb Sideshow 1/6 Lara Croft Figure

(I figured I would post in here since the figure is Legend related)

I just managed to snag one of these from ebay and it should be arriving later this week. Does anybody on the forum own one?

I'm looking to do a couple mods to make her a look a bit better: body swap, potential head swap, and I'm swapping out a couple pieces of the outfit for better quality stuff that has been released in recent years. I'm going with the Phicen S12D body and an aftermarket head (new head will require some hair work, it's rooted and needs to have that iconic ponytail) until I can work up the courage to repaint the original head. I'm also grabbing some aftermarket 'nades and some smoke grenades for the sides of her pack. I've ordered some replacement boots since I heard that the stock boots are awful. In the future I would like to replace the USPs and MP5 with some higher quality aftermarket ones as well.

Eventually I would like to put together an Anniversary outfit, but I think I've bitten off enough as is. Anyhow, any thoughts or input would be appreciated. I will try to post pictures as I go.
Old 15-09-17, 19:15   #2
Alpharaider47
Tomb Raider

Ok, so my figure arrived today (well, yesterday, but I was on duty so no mail for me...)

Here are a couple shots in/out of the box. My grenades and stuff are in the mail today, so I might get to play with those later. Body and new head are in the mail, hopefully will get them within a week.

So, it's pretty good for the mid/late 2000's. Modern Hot Toys blows her out of the water, and the gear could have been a tad better. I was impressed with the guns though. The MP5 and USPs have removable magazines, and the magazines have a single round loaded- I wasn't even expecting removable mags so the fact that they colored a round is a plus. I got the sideshow exclusive edition, I read somewhere that they made about 700 of them? Dunno if that's a fact, but if so cool. The important part is that it came with Excalibur, which is pretty solid.

The backpack is not meant to open, but mine did- maybe has to do with the age of the pack? Either way, it's got some paper stuffing which I might remove and replace with the old grenades when the new ones show up.

The belt/holster rig seems pretty weak, so I will need to be careful with that. Binoculars are removable. The pistols fit pretty snugly in the holsters, I had to grab the wife's hair dryer to get the pistols in there all the way. A splash of cold water helped hold the shape so I can remove the pistols with much less of a fight. Who knew nuclear power/heat transfer knowledge could apply to expensive toys? Thanks Navy!

I have not opened the pack with her blue sweater and Legend signature top/shorts yet, but the jacket is pretty robust. It allows for a decent range of movement but the flap is pretty stiff so getting that flipped back collar work might require a bit of ironing. Beneath the jacket is a sewn insert for the blue sweater- I might remove this and simply use the included sweater if I choose to display this particular outfit.

I will wrap up this post with a commentary on the boots. I had read online that they were pretty awful, and those folks are not wrong. They are solid and look the part, but... well, they're pretty solid. You'll have a hard time with any poses that require ankle movement. Removing them can be a challenge too, I ended up getting one of Lara's feet stuck in the bottom when it popped off at the ankle joint. It took a little dryer work and a liberal application of a random tool I found at work to get the foot out. I've got new boots incoming, hopefully they work out ok.

Last edited by Alpharaider47; 20-09-17 at 23:37.
Alpharaider47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-17, 20:06   #3
Grid21
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpharaider47 View Post
Ok, so my figure arrived today (well, yesterday, but I was on duty so no mail for me...)

Here are a couple shots in/out of the box. My grenades and stuff are in the mail today, so I might get to play with those later. Body and new head are in the mail, hopefully will get them within a week.

So, it's pretty good for the mid/late 2000's. Modern Hot Toys blows her out of the water, and the gear could have been a tad better. I was impressed with the guns though. The MP5 and USPs have removable magazines, and the magazines have a single round loaded- I wasn't even expecting removable mags so the fact that they colored a round is a plus. I got the sideshow exclusive edition, I read somewhere that they made about 700 of them? Dunno if that's a fact, but if so cool. The important part is that it came with Excalibur, which is pretty solid.

The backpack is not meant to open, but mine did- maybe has to do with the age of the pack? Either way, it's got some paper stuffing which I might remove and replace with the old grenades when the new ones show up.

The belt/holster rig seems pretty weak, so I will need to be careful with that. Binoculars are removable. The pistols fit pretty snugly in the holsters, I had to grab the wife's hair dryer to get the pistols in there all the way. A splash of cold water helped hold the shape so I can remove the pistols with much less of a fight. Who knew nuclear power/heat transfer knowledge could apply to expensive toys? Thanks Navy!

I have not opened the pack with her blue sweater and Legend signature top/shorts yet, but the jacket is pretty robust. It allows for a decent range of movement but the flap is pretty stiff so getting that flipped back collar work might require a bit of ironing. Beneath the jacket is a sewn insert for the blue sweater- I might remove this and simply use the included sweater if I choose to display this particular outfit.

I will wrap up this post with a commentary on the boots. I had read online that they were pretty awful, and those folks are not wrong. They are solid and look the part, but... well, they're pretty solid. You'll have a hard time with any poses that require ankle movement. Removing them can be a challenge too, I ended up getting one of Lara's feet stuck in the bottom when it popped off at the ankle joint. It took a little dryer work and a liberal application of a random tool I found at work to get the foot out. I've got new boots incoming, hopefully they work out ok.
Is there more Legend figures you can buy?
Grid21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-17, 22:29   #4
Alpharaider47
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid21 View Post
Is there more Legend figures you can buy?
I know that NECA put out several a few years back. Mostly some 6/7inch statue type figures. They also put out a 12inch one but I think that one is fairly expensive now. They also did a couple Anniversary and Underworld figures. I have the smaller sized Union Jack top Lara from Legend, the Anniversary (broken, sadly), and Underworld figures. Ebay would be the best place to look.

Also I've got a quick update. I ended up swapping her top for the blue sweater, and my grenades and boots came in. I think I'm going to end up searching for another set of boots for the Legend tank/shorts outfit which will go on the new body, but for now these look good on the sweater/jacket look.

Everybody who said that getting these outfits on the stock body is a nightmare were grossly understating the fact. It took some water and a liberal application of force to get that sweater on.

Here's a good shot of the new boots. They actually have functioning zippers on the sides, and they are incredibly soft. Fur lined too! I will have to get something a bit shorter for her classic look though. She comes with a pair of socks, so I might be able to get away with some WWII jump boots using the socks to make up some of the distance between her ankle and knee.

I also got a set of smoke grenades. I seem to remember seeing a pair of blue flashbangs or some similar grenade type item on her backpack at one point. I figured that red smoke grenades would fit the bill and look cool. They are too large to fit in the loops on both sides themselves (the one on the left side of the pack has enough give, but not on the right).

Lastly, I got a set of metal grenades. They are pretty solid, and they have removable pins and clips. I like the weight of them, and I think they look loads better than the stock ones. Speaking of, I pulled out the filler paper stuffed into her pack and replaced it with the stock grenades. All 4 of them fit, and they give the pack a tad more heft. They also fill it out a lot better than the paper. It seems like a reasonable thing for a Tomb Raider to tote around, right? If I have some spare cash, I might poke around for something more appropriate to stash in her backpack, but for now the 'nades will do.

So that's where I'm at right now. The body is still in the mail and the new head arrived today. Need to do some hair work on that before it's ready for pictures. Her stock head is a bit large, so I can't do a head swap with this body, but the one on the way is more in line with what Hot Toys produces these days, so she will look good next to my other figures.

Last edited by Alpharaider47; 20-09-17 at 23:39.
Alpharaider47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-17, 18:01   #5
Grid21
Explorer

Quote:
I know that NECA put out several a few years back. Mostly some 6/7inch statue type figures. They also put out a 12inch one but I think that one is fairly expensive now. They also did a couple Anniversary and Underworld figures. I have the smaller sized Union Jack top Lara from Legend, the Anniversary (broken, sadly), and Underworld figures. Ebay would be the best place to look.

Also I've got a quick update. I ended up swapping her top for the blue sweater, and my grenades and boots came in. I think I'm going to end up searching for another set of boots for the Legend tank/shorts outfit which will go on the new body, but for now these look good on the sweater/jacket look.

Everybody who said that getting these outfits on the stock body is a nightmare were grossly understating the fact. It took some water and a liberal application of force to get that sweater on.

Here's a good shot of the new boots. They actually have functioning zippers on the sides, and they are incredibly soft. Fur lined too! I will have to get something a bit shorter for her classic look though. She comes with a pair of socks, so I might be able to get away with some WWII jump boots using the socks to make up some of the distance between her ankle and knee.

I also got a set of smoke grenades. I seem to remember seeing a pair of blue flashbangs or some similar grenade type item on her backpack at one point. I figured that red smoke grenades would fit the bill and look cool. They are too large to fit in the loops on both sides themselves (the one on the left side of the pack has enough give, but not on the right).

Lastly, I got a set of metal grenades. They are pretty solid, and they have removable pins and clips. I like the weight of them, and I think they look loads better than the stock ones. Speaking of, I pulled out the filler paper stuffed into her pack and replaced it with the stock grenades. All 4 of them fit, and they give the pack a tad more heft. They also fill it out a lot better than the paper. It seems like a reasonable thing for a Tomb Raider to tote around, right? If I have some spare cash, I might poke around for something more appropriate to stash in her backpack, but for now the 'nades will do.

So that's where I'm at right now. The body is still in the mail and the new head arrived today. Need to do some hair work on that before it's ready for pictures. Her stock head is a bit large, so I can't do a head swap with this body, but the one on the way is more in line with what Hot Toys produces these days, so she will look good next to my other figures.
What does the Underworld one look like that you have?
Old 17-09-17, 23:19   #6
Alpharaider47
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid21 View Post
What does the Underworld one look like that you have?

This is a picture of the one I have. Mine is packed in a box in the attic right now. I recently moved, otherwise I would have had it available to take a picture of. The paint jobs on the NECA figures were, in my opinion, hit or miss. If you had the time/aptitude it's nothing you couldn't fix for yourself though.
Old 18-09-17, 00:52   #7
Grid21
Explorer

Quote:

This is a picture of the one I have. Mine is packed in a box in the attic right now. I recently moved, otherwise I would have had it available to take a picture of. The paint jobs on the NECA figures were, in my opinion, hit or miss. If you had the time/aptitude it's nothing you couldn't fix for yourself though.
I like really want that now. Underworld Lara was <3
Old 18-09-17, 18:17   #8
CheshireBitch
Archaeologist

I have a Sideshow Legend Lara statue ! But Sideshow did an action figure too for Legend Lara. Did you get the action figure or the statue ?

The statue is GORGEOUS ! But sadly mine has ponytail and a hand broken I had to fix...
CheshireBitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-17, 03:48   #9
jackali
Super Moderator

^ It's the action figure.

OP, you might want to re-upload the pictures to another site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T&C 9: Posting Images

9.1 - Please use one of the following image hosting services when posting images on our forum. No other image hosting services are permitted.

9.2 - Allowed image hosting services: imgur, twitter, facebook, tumblr, instagram, abload, gyazo, postimage, dropbox, steam, casimages, deviantart, flickr, Xbox, Google, Microsoft

Last edited by jackali; 19-09-17 at 03:51. Reason: Added T&C 9
jackali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-17, 23:44   #10
Alpharaider47
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheshireBitch View Post
I have a Sideshow Legend Lara statue ! But Sideshow did an action figure too for Legend Lara. Did you get the action figure or the statue ?

The statue is GORGEOUS ! But sadly mine has ponytail and a hand broken I had to fix...
It's the 6th scale action figure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackali View Post
^ It's the action figure.

OP, you might want to re-upload the pictures to another site.
Updated, thanks for the backup!

Also, I got a few more things in the mail. New head and body! I'm not 100% satisfied with how the new head fits the body, but I'm not certain what my options are to address that right now. I cut down the neck support to lower it onto the body, I'm not comfortable whacking more off at this time. That being said, I'm pretty happy with the result. I've got the old body and head on hand so I can display two looks. I'm considering doing a repaint of the original head in the future, but I need to get back into model painting before I take that on.

Here are a few shots:

I will need to do a little bit more work with the hair, and I think I am going to go ahead and grab a second set of boots. Probably WWII parajumper boots, that way the socks will be visible. I also need to source a set of gloved hands that are compatible with the new body. If I can, I want to put together a new belt rig for the stock Lara, and then put her in the Nepal jacket. Should cover up the rough edges and make for a decent display piece.