Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light

Old 08-04-13, 15:27   #1
mizuno_suisei

Question Could this have been a main title?

Could it? *prepares for varied opinions*

I mean think about it. Imagine the camera being behind Lara as opposed to up in the air like it is.

I decided to fire it up today. Think I've only played it 3 or 4 times before, never actually finished it though. The copy I have, and I'll be honest, is actually a bootleg CD copy from Indonesia...I feel 2010 was too early for Downloadable only games and I couldn't afford the internet Data to download it so I never bothered until my grandmother came across a CD version when holidaying. I purchased the game off Steam this evening and it will be downloading while I'm working tomorrow. There's my good deed done This also means I can get the DLC and have the patched updates too! (so many crashes on my v1.0)

Anywho back to the topic.

I was running around in the temple complex where you need to find the 3 sundisks (2nd Level) and it really occurred to me...THIS is Tomb Raider! This is the kind of platforming and adventure I loved growing up...not knowing where the hell I was going! I was running around the temple complex area for 45mins according to stats, just looking for new areas I may have missed and enemies to spear.

If a patch or trainer was made to force the camera to revert to being behind Lara, I'd gladly have a go even though certain faces would be untextured and unfinished due to usual fixed camera but hey, I reckon I'd have a blast and I would have deemed it a successful game add-on!

I'm glad I can't remember the gameplay at all. Last time I played I finished about 3/4 of the game so I'm going to enjoy going through it again. Something very very great to come from Crystal Excellent replay value.

So what does everyone else think? As far as I could tell over time, this game was more of a success to the fans rather than a failure. Did anyone else imagine it being behind Lara's POV? All those big staircases and cool little tombs with (IMO) interesting puzzles to obtain items...gah! <3
mizuno_suisei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-13, 05:23   #2
Andes

The game is perfect as it is for me, sooo much fun and a regular fixture on my xbox, but your post did make me wonder how mindblowing the GoL setting would look when transposed to the Reboot 'engine'. Imagine The Spider Tomb playing out from that cinematic vantage point, reckon that'd cover the 'more tombs please' arguments about the Reboot.
Andes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-13, 12:15   #3
Lara_Fan1

No.

If people are complaining about TReboot then this would be 10x worse.
Lara_Fan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-13, 14:10   #4
mizuno_suisei

Any particular reason why you flat out say no?

-MASSIVE maps
-Non-Linear paths
-More Supernatural Enemies than human
-Set in a tomb like ancient location
-BULK traps
-No QTEs

There just a few of many points that scream to me that an Old TR game fan would LOVE this as a First Person game! Any particular reason why you disagree?
Old 09-04-13, 14:15   #5
Lara_Fan1

I personally didn't like it and don't see it selling well as a main title.
An I doubt it would sell millions in the first month.

I could be wrong but we'll never know lol.
Old 09-04-13, 14:22   #6
mizuno_suisei

Fair enough, thanks for the input
Old 09-04-13, 14:32   #7
Lara_Fan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizuno_suisei View Post
Fair enough, thanks for the input
Tomb Raider isn't a co-op game, its not an Arcadey type of game, an I didn't like the camera (Picky I know).

Although to some people it is a great little spin off but I just don't think as a Tomb Raider game it would work.

An you welcome for this little input lol.
Old 09-04-13, 14:41   #8
mizuno_suisei

The multiplayer thing...I'll def agree one that one, I wouldnt play as Totec or whatever he's called. Multiplayer in TR is just silly. My first go at multiplayer on 2013 was a single player match so I could look at the maps enough said!
Old 09-04-13, 16:12   #9
Lara_Fan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizuno_suisei View Post
The multiplayer thing...I'll def agree one that one, I wouldnt play as Totec or whatever he's called. Multiplayer in TR is just silly. My first go at multiplayer on 2013 was a single player match so I could look at the maps enough said!
I know, I didn't like the multiplayer at all. I would die after 5 seconds and they can do things in the MP that they couldn't in SP which I thought was weird!

Scrap MP in the next one I say.
Old 09-04-13, 20:39   #10
Zique

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara_Fan1 View Post
Tomb Raider isn't a co-op game, its not an Arcadey type of game, an I didn't like the camera (Picky I know).

Although to some people it is a great little spin off but I just don't think as a Tomb Raider game it would work.

An you welcome for this little input lol.
Somo of your points are the game being 'arcade-y' and the camera, but the OP stated clearly that the game could be a main title if it had the regular classic camera.
I do believe it could become a great title with it's big and non-linear maps and great locations with a classic feeling, even her outfit indicates the classic TR inspiratio.
Zique is offline   Reply With Quote