www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 13-03-18, 03:44   #421
larafan25
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArigatoGozymas View Post
I wish that Tomb Raider ended with Underworld or even AOD (even though I LOVE LAU trilogy) rather than getting rebooted. I'd rather it ends after the next game or get put on a long hiatus until someone who truly understands what Lara Croft and Tomb Raider are and why they mean so much to fans and how they became so famous for two decades, and also knows how to take the classic formula and somehow manages to modernize it so as to preserve who Lara Croft is and what Tomb Raider as a game should be, while still feeling like a game release in the present times rather than the 90s. That takes a lot of hard work because it's almost impossible to find such balance between modernizing and preserving the essence, but I'd rather have the franchise be put on halt until then, than continuing with this vision.
What we have is modernized. Just depends who you ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaraCablara View Post
I think pretty much all the promo renders during the Core era were really cheap and ugly, especially during Tomb Raider 3 and Chronicles. I wish they did hand drawn artwork or something instead of that bizzaro 3D model they shoved everywhere (in bikinis, in dresses, etc)
... The bizzaro 3D model is literally Lara Croft.
Old 13-03-18, 08:36   #422
ostercy
Explorer

I regard CD Lara and Reboot Lara as insults to Classic Lara.
(Although Underworld wasn't.)
Old 13-03-18, 13:21   #423
Nigel Cassidy
Professor

Quote:
I think pretty much all the promo renders during the Core era were really cheap and ugly, especially during Tomb Raider 3 and Chronicles. I wish they did hand drawn artwork or something instead of that bizzaro 3D model they shoved everywhere (in bikinis, in dresses, etc)
Good point.
Nigel Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-18, 15:20   #424
LaraCablara
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by larafan25 View Post
What we have is modernized. Just depends who you ask.

... The bizzaro 3D model is literally Lara Croft.
Well obviously but they didn't have to model her to look like a caricature of herself. She just looked bad . On the cover art of the games she looked fine but then we got other examples that are too naughty for me to pull up while I'm in class. An 8 year old me would cringe when my parents saw those renders because it made the games look like they were about sex.

Last edited by LaraCablara; 13-03-18 at 15:22.
LaraCablara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-18, 16:57   #425
larafan25
Legend

Quote:
Well obviously but they didn't have to model her to look like a caricature of herself. She just looked bad . On the cover art of the games she looked fine but then we got other examples that are too naughty for me to pull up while I'm in class. An 8 year old me would cringe when my parents saw those renders because it made the games look like they were about sex.
That is understandably awkward.

Though the promotional, or extra-curricular images always displayed scenes which were out of the context of an adventure.
http://core-design.com/images/goodie...2/screen10.jpg
http://core-design.com/images/goodie...2/screen49.jpg
http://core-design.com/images/goodie...2/screen61.jpg
http://core-design.com/images/goodie.../screen146.jpg
http://core-design.com/images/goodie...3/screen94.jpg

I don't know how many times this binch has killed Santa Claus:

http://core-design.com/images/goodie...3/screen30.jpg

Some might be surprised to know just how much Lara looks like herself:

Although the greater 3D detail in the promotional models, tends to cause for more unwieldy lighting which can sometimes be unflattering. Whereas the potential dynamic information is backed into a still image on in-game Lara, who's flatter faces sometimes allow for a softer, or more regulated image.
Old 17-03-18, 07:17   #426
ShutUpReyes
Student

- Underworld is a severely underrated entry in the franchise
- Angel of Darkness Lara is a completely different character from the original Lara. She wasn't sassy or badass she was just a mean-spirited bitch and totally unlikeable because Core were trying to be edgy. I actually think reboot Lara has more in common with Lara in TR1 than AoD Lara does.
- The original Tomb Raider is the best of the classics.
- Yamatai is the best location in Tomb Raider history in terms of the world that was built and the lore around it.
- Alicia Vikander is an incredible Lara.
- Lara Croft became an icon because she broke the mould. People who insist the character can never be portrayed as an older woman or a Mother are only restricting the character and keeping her from doing that again.
ShutUpReyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-18, 12:49   #427
Patrick star
Tomb Raider

How do you mean AOD Lara wasn't sassy ? man she was a savage , and had some of the best quotes in the franchise . Plus , she was never rude or mean-spirited by default , she was only rude in the branch conversations if the player wanted her to be so , she might be different from her previous iterations , but that's character development , she was mentally scarred after her Egyptian trauma and she's not going to walk out of it like nothing's happened .
Old 17-03-18, 18:39   #428
Yeauxleaux
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick star View Post
How do you mean AOD Lara wasn't sassy ? man she was a savage , and had some of the best quotes in the franchise . Plus , she was never rude or mean-spirited by default , she was only rude in the branch conversations if the player wanted her to be so , she might be different from her previous iterations , but that's character development , she was mentally scarred after her Egyptian trauma and she's not going to walk out of it like nothing's happened .
Handle it Werner.

That will be one of my favourite Croft lines forever haha. It's just so cold and dismissive. In other words - "bitch I couldn't tell you how little of a **** I give about your problems"
Old 17-03-18, 23:29   #429
Patrick star
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post
Handle it Werner.

That will be one of my favourite Croft lines forever haha. It's just so cold and dismissive. In other words - "bitch I couldn't tell you how little of a **** I give about your problems"
That whole FMV was gold <3
Old 24-03-18, 23:50   #430
Patrick star
Tomb Raider

Since I've posted this in another thread , why not posting it here , it's pretty unpopular :

I think Reboot Lara is noticeably more independent and self-centered than LAU Lara .

Last edited by Patrick star; 24-03-18 at 23:52.
Patrick star is offline   Reply With Quote