Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Chronicles

Old 17-11-17, 14:25   #71
Dustie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackraider View Post
I think it's a lot with the how the environments are built. Lara doesn't transverse on triangular surfaces all that much like in TRIII and IV. Thus, levels are easier to maneuver around in. Also, the levels, like you said are very simplistic and linear. In fact, the levels in Chronicles are more in tune with the original TR in terms of fundamentals. However, unlike the original, Chronicles lacks prestigious level design and remarkable vistas. The only section that actually comes close to this is the Ireland portion, and even when compared to TR1's levels—are still much smaller in scale.
Yet in Ireland you have quite a lot of maneuvering over triangles and all those control shortcomings can be felt immediately...

I for one also loved the small touches like different sounds for Lara and her pistols.
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-17, 02:19   #72
jackraider
Inactive

Yeah, Ireland section did suffer from awkward environment geometry, which did cause some control issues. However, this section is indeed the most attractive to gaze at in Chronicles.

My biggest gripe with Chronicles is that the levels felt very tight. When the level would open up a bit there was never really a big scale set piece to showcase like the original. TR2-3 and even TLR achieves this much better. Also, Chronicles is a very simple and short game with Black Isle and VCI levels being the most complex and challenging. The bugs in Red Alert is the biggest fallback in Chronicles.

Last edited by jackraider; 18-11-17 at 02:20.
jackraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-17, 16:09   #73
NoahCrofRaider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustie View Post
I for one also loved the small touches like different sounds for Lara and her pistols.
Ah, so I'm not the only one.
NoahCrofRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-17, 18:17   #74
charmedangelin

To me the cutscene actually shows Lara more in character than ever. I have long beleived that Lara's character meets the critiera for a diagnoses of antisocial personality disorder and have long thought Lara to be a Psychopath. It would explain why Lara is so fearless, it isn't because she went through some great trauma, it's because she is a natural born fearless person. The fact that she rejected her marraige and leads a pretty anti social life style actually adds more evidence to that fact.

And I don't think that's a bad thing at all, I think it's a great thing to be honest. Psychopaths are quick to anger when crossed and so perhaps she let him fall because he had crossed Lara one too many times. It is a psychological aspect of psychopathy.

That's why to me the whole origin story of Lara doesn't really work because you cannot develop fearlessness unless you have the coded gene for it.

Not only this but Lara also has that superficial charm and we already know that she is incredibly intelligent and very cunning, all key indicators of psychopathy or antisocial personality disorder.

Suprisingly Robot Chicken actually captured Lara's character down to a T in my opinion.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GK4H_IOBJ_U

Last edited by charmedangelin; 24-11-17 at 18:28.
charmedangelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-17, 19:13   #75
Anakzunamuhn

Wow. That's a great way to describe Lara.
Anakzunamuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-17, 04:41   #76
benjamin_2010

Ha, I never knew that Robot Chicken did a Tomb Raider skit. Hilarious. Thanks for sharing charmedangelin
benjamin_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-17, 10:32   #77
Dustie

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post
To me the cutscene actually shows Lara more in character than ever. I have long beleived that Lara's character meets the critiera for a diagnoses of antisocial personality disorder and have long thought Lara to be a Psychopath. It would explain why Lara is so fearless, it isn't because she went through some great trauma, it's because she is a natural born fearless person. The fact that she rejected her marraige and leads a pretty anti social life style actually adds more evidence to that fact.

And I don't think that's a bad thing at all, I think it's a great thing to be honest. Psychopaths are quick to anger when crossed and so perhaps she let him fall because he had crossed Lara one too many times. It is a psychological aspect of psychopathy.

That's why to me the whole origin story of Lara doesn't really work because you cannot develop fearlessness unless you have the coded gene for it.

Not only this but Lara also has that superficial charm and we already know that she is incredibly intelligent and very cunning, all key indicators of psychopathy or antisocial personality disorder.
Interesting view, it seems to make perfect sense. Although I'm not keen on calling Lara a psychopath, since in common language that usually implies a person keen on inducing harm on other people and oftentimes deriving pleasure from doing so. Perhaps the medical definition is not limited to that, but Lara is definitely not the kind of psychopath that most people think of.

Quote:
Suprisingly Robot Chicken actually captured Lara's character down to a T in my opinion.

[youtube/]GK4H_IOBJ_U[/youtube]

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GK4H_IOBJ_U
Noooo that was way too short!!

I want more!

Seriously, their puppet stop-motion films are amazing...
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-17, 17:14   #78
Potkanka

One of the things that wasn't really mentioned much yet is worldbuilding. Think what you want about the quality of it (e.g. if you think Pierre and Larson are acting out of character, although TR1 didn't give them that much space to show off their characters deeply anyway...), but there are. Tons of it. And as a fanfic writer I appreciate it all the more.

Larason and Pierre - pretty popular characters, but how much of that might actually be Chronicles' fault? Would they be as popular if TR5 didn't happen? I think not.

More of teenage Lara, this is also connected to Winston's backstory (we learn that he's from Ireland), or hell, even Winston's name wasn't known before Chronicles, was it?

And Lara's friends - apart from Winston we have Father Patrick (I love his sassy attitude) and Charles Kane, who used to be Lara's history teacher (I know there was supposed to be Jean-Yves originally, but hey at least we got one more character out of this change!). And then also Zip, a fun (if annoying for some) character to add to the cast.

And Von Croy Industries? Until then we knew Werner was an archaeologist-adventurer, now we learn his family has a huge company creating cyborgs (among other things)??? How cool is that?

And many more things, such as the first (and last, in classics) appearance of Lara's parents, Winston casually revealing a shortcut to the secret room in the mansion... And of course, all the new artefacts (including the answer to the question "How come Lara and not Werner has the Iris?")

This game makes the TR world even more colourful with all its additions. These additions are sometimes silly and over the top, but that's what Core's Tomb Raider was always like, wasn't it? (Alien autopsy in TR3, anyone?)
Potkanka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-17, 16:38   #79
Sarah_Hardy

Talking

Core Design destroying dreams since 2000

Sarah_Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-18, 08:05   #80
Girafarig32

TRC was my first TR game, and I hold many fond memories of it. I played it when I was pretty little. It came with our new computer back then, if you can believe it.

Rome was actually my favorite section of the game. I really liked the dialogue between Lara, Pierre and Larson. The level design was really beautiful and so was the the ambience. I have many fond memories playing the Rome levels as a kid. VCI was my second favorite. I thought Russia was a bit repetitive and monotonous; I wish there was more exploring at the base. Ireland was really... odd. II didn't hate it, but definitely didn't love it either. Maybe it's young Lara and her outrageous face in the renders always crossing my mind

Last edited by Girafarig32; 09-01-18 at 08:07.
Girafarig32 is offline   Reply With Quote