Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > General Chat

Old 05-05-12, 14:58   #51
moodydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon_14 View Post
That's cool! It's more of a tradition to go travel abroad after you've done your service.

I think a lot of the users here wouldn't want to serve in their armies because they've never lived through an actual war. I want to defend my country, it's a privilege. Even the slightest roles count.
Exactly, where I come from, wars and fighting is actually separated from us by a TV screen. I have had no first hand experience of wars, or terrorism, or fighting, or anything related to the military. I suppose a lot of places are quite sheltered from war in that respect.
moodydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-12, 15:05   #52
ajrich17901

I have a lot of friends who joined the Military, but honestly I would never join up. I can't stand society as a whole so I don't find them worth fighting for, everyone goes into the Military for different reasons..mainly for the money. But personally I never felt the drive to join up, but I do have respect for those who serve unlike most Americans.

Plus I've seen what happens to most Soldiers when they serve, from PTSD to brutal wounds. Being just a friend to someone in the military isn't really being there, but it is in a sense to me because we have to live through the stress when they're overseas and the hurt when they come back home..and have to see what they have to deal with on an emotional level.

Last edited by ajrich17901; 05-05-12 at 15:17.
ajrich17901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-12, 15:12   #53
Catapharact

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodydog View Post
Exactly, where I come from, wars and fighting is actually separated from us by a TV screen. I have had no first hand experience of wars, or terrorism, or fighting, or anything related to the military. I suppose a lot of places are quite sheltered from war in that respect.
All the more reason why IMO they should join up; Just so the average idiotic meh-minded douche can actually see the conflicts first hand. Once he/she has an opportunity of experience such things, I doubt really much that he/she will ever take a "devil may care" outlook on world conflicts ever again; And hopefully develop a bit of respect for those who serve in the armed forces.
Catapharact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-12, 20:48   #54
moodydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catapharact View Post
All the more reason why IMO they should join up; Just so the average idiotic meh-minded douche can actually see the conflicts first hand. Once he/she has an opportunity of experience such things, I doubt really much that he/she will ever take a "devil may care" outlook on world conflicts ever again; And hopefully develop a bit of respect for those who serve in the armed forces.
But the whole world doesn't need to see conflicts first hand. Don't know if you are saying that anyone who hasn't seen a conflict first hand is a 'average idiotic meh-minded douche' but if you are that's very wrong!
I will be very surprised if all of a sudden they organise school trips to the middle east.

Last edited by moodydog; 05-05-12 at 20:49.
moodydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-12, 20:57   #55
robm_2007

No. Never. I would not benefit the Army in any way
robm_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-12, 21:01   #56
motoleo
Inactive

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ist_System.png
motoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-12, 21:05   #57
robm_2007

Are you trying to indoctrinate us with that picture?

Last edited by robm_2007; 05-05-12 at 21:42.
robm_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-12, 21:08   #58
patriots88888

The biggest problem I would have with signing my name to any of the military branches (and which is why I chose not to follow my brother's footsteps) is basic training. Not the physical part (I could take that well enough) it would be the head games. I don't have much of a problem with being yelled at if I should **** up but I'll be damned if I'm just going to stand there and take it if I didn't do anything wrong. I never understood the point in all that... it's not as if it's that difficult to figure out who is in charge.
patriots88888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-12, 21:09   #59
Mad Tony

Under normal circumstances I probably wouldn't join the army. I'd be better suited doing something else, although I know there are a lot of support roles too. However, if an exceptional situation arose and my country needed me then yes I would.

My brother's a chef in the Royal Navy and he goes to quite a few different places around the world (most recently the Falklands). Most are just regular tours, but I know they go out to Africa a lot to combat piracy, although they're not allowed to do that much unfortunately (rules of engagement and all that).

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoleo View Post
What's that got to do with this thread?

Last edited by Mad Tony; 05-05-12 at 21:11.
Mad Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-12, 21:10   #60
Alex Shepherd

In America! NEVEERR!!
But here in Lebanon... Yes of course, I would appreciate to join the army to defend my country from bad ass Israil.
Alex Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote