Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 20-10-16, 00:29   #1
domino92

Default TressFX is hideous

So I'm playing the PS4 version for the first time after playing the PS3 version back when it came out, and one of the most notable features should've been removed.

TressFX hair is clumpy, flops and bounces around like it has a will of its own and defies gravity and wind. I also get that Lara doesn't exactly have access to shampoo and conditioner, but its clumpy and gross, honestly. Given that no one else's hair is like this in the game either, it sticks out too.

Does anybody else have a problem with TressFX? I remember threads from ages ago mentioning it, but I can't recall if people liked it or disliked it.
domino92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-16, 01:08   #2
larafan25

I have a huge poroblem, but it's not with TressFX. It's with everyone who complains about it.

WE'VE BEEN SIMULATING HAIR FOR THE SAME WAY IN 3D GAMES FOREVER

FINALLY

WE HAVE THIS CRAZY CRAP ON A PRETTY GAME ON A CONSOLE.

WITH BIG OPEN SPACES.

Obviously... it's going to take time. But this is a huge step. It's only getting better and better.

Like. would we rather have the hair from the PS3 version? I mean... reaaaallly???????????????????

I just. I don't believe it.
larafan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-16, 02:00   #3
ozzman

honestly it looks good but i think it flops around a bit to easily, it acts like freshly shampooed hair , not a bad thing but if lara was out in the wild and had no access , he hair would be oil and gross, but it's a great step forward for hair in games, now when i play other games, i'm let down by the lack of pretty hair
ozzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-16, 02:07   #4
domino92

Quote:
Originally Posted by larafan25 View Post
Like. would we rather have the hair from the PS3 version? I mean... reaaaallly???????????????????

Actually, yes.

I never had any complaints about Lara's hair in the PS3 version. It only stands out because it's so bad in this version. I get that they need to use this tech before they perfect it, but I'm still going to point it out when it looks like her hair is made of half-boiled spaghetti.
domino92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-16, 03:33   #5
Wooxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by larafan25 View Post
I have a huge poroblem, but it's not with TressFX. It's with everyone who complains about it.

WE'VE BEEN SIMULATING HAIR FOR THE SAME WAY IN 3D GAMES FOREVER

FINALLY

WE HAVE THIS CRAZY CRAP ON A PRETTY GAME ON A CONSOLE.

WITH BIG OPEN SPACES.

Obviously... it's going to take time. But this is a huge step. It's only getting better and better.

Thank you! I had the exact same thought when I read the opening post.

People just have to remember how new technologies in video games looked in the past. The first physics engines looked ridiculous since things would fly all over the place, even if they were supposed to be heavier. Or early bump mapping that made everything look overly shiny. Or pretty simple: The first 3D games in general!

I never thought that the TressFX hair looks clumpy. I've played the game on PC and Xbox One and though I'd say that the PC hair looks better, both versions are still a huge step forward compared to the ugly squirrel tail we had since Legend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92 View Post
Actually, yes.

I never had any complaints about Lara's hair in the PS3 version. It only stands out because it's so bad in this version. I get that they need to use this tech before they perfect it, but I'm still going to point it out when it looks like her hair is made of half-boiled spaghetti.
So you prefer a squirrel tail to actual individual hair strands?
Wooxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-16, 06:38   #6
ThatSassyKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooxman View Post
So you prefer a squirrel tail to actual individual hair strands?
Rise is the one with the squirrel hair!
ThatSassyKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-16, 08:00   #7
JsotoTRSaga

TressFX is amazing, compared to that overused squirrel hair. Rise's hair is much better than DE's though... at least it doesn't look like it has it's own lightning system like the one in the DE.

Last edited by JsotoTRSaga; 20-10-16 at 08:01.
JsotoTRSaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-16, 08:05   #8
ThatSassyKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by JsotoTRSaga View Post
TressFX is amazing, compared to that overused squirrel hair. Rise's hair is much better than DE's though... at least it doesn't look like it has it's own lightning system like the one in the DE.
It does though when you're in the dark not as bad as the DE/PC2013 where it goes blonde, but it still lights itself up
Old 20-10-16, 08:14   #9
JsotoTRSaga

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatSassyKid View Post
It does though when you're in the dark not as bad as the DE/PC2013 where it goes blonde, but it still lights itself up
Lol yeah, they need to fix that. But hey! it's so much better than last gen. It isn't so all over the place like the last gen X360/PS3 versions of TR2013.
JsotoTRSaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-16, 08:16   #10
ThatSassyKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by JsotoTRSaga View Post
Lol yeah, they need to fix that. But hey! it's so much better than last gen. It isn't so all over the place like the last gen X360/PS3 versions of TR2013.
The squirrel hair in TR2013 is infinitely better than the Rise squirrel hair, tbh.