Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 07-06-17, 18:25   #11
Kivlov

My priority list:

1. Lara Croft herself as the "most recognized female video game character" (Guinness World Record).

2. Platforming - running, jumping, climbing, acrobatics, swimming (including underwater).

3. Puzzles - including traps and mazes.

4. Atmosphere of ancient temples/ruins or other mystical (or just interesting and exciting) places. And also rewarding a player with playing of a short part of the TR main music theme when reaching important places.

5. Searching - for keys and artifacts (including backtracking to earlier places after finding some keys as level design feature).

6. Story & Adventures.

7. Riding Different Vehicles.

8. Croft's Manor.

9. Dual Pistols and other minor details and Lara's accessories (such as her round glasses, her brown shorts, blue shirt, and her braid).

Last edited by Kivlov; 06-07-17 at 10:11.
Kivlov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-17, 18:26   #12
larafan25

- Ladders
- Vehicles
- Ammo
- Butler
larafan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-17, 21:56   #13
cephasjames

Quote:
Originally Posted by larafan25 View Post
- Ladders
- Vehicles
- Ammo
- Butler
You're obviously taking this seriously.
cephasjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-17, 22:00   #14
wearemany

- A British adventure-seeking archaeologist called Lara Croft
- Platforming
- Exploration
- Puzzle solving
- Combat
wearemany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-17, 22:09   #15
Nigel Cassidy

I could name a lot of things but then it is possible that a game could have all of those things and still doesn't feel quite right. In the end it's poetry, not mathematics - in other words it is a matter of feeling rather than exact rules.
Nigel Cassidy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-17, 22:43   #16
JsotoTRSaga

Lara Croft is the main pillar of the Tomb Raider game.
Axes, Bows, Dual Pistols, all that.
Good Platforming, most of the game should be about this instead of shooting.
Old School Puzzles, no more Rope puzzles, no more axe puzzles, just bring me some good keys or cards to find. Bring me levers, switches, pressure plates. Crushing Spike Walls!!
Ancient Tombs full of mysteries and deadly booby traps.
Gripping Story centered around an artifact.
Rome, Egypt, Cambodia, Siberia, all those locations that scream Tomb Raider.

Last edited by JsotoTRSaga; 07-06-17 at 22:47.
JsotoTRSaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-17, 22:50   #17
Blackmoor

1. The fundamental gameplay of TR to me is - finding your way through unmapped territory or structures that are unusual and visually interesting.

2. The primary puzzling of TR involves solving the correct pathway through the level - ie, discovering the order of things that need to be done sequentially and so "unlock" and complete the entire level. This path can be discovered either by using visual clues or trial and error wanderings.

3. Actually completing the pathway involves also - solving environmental puzzles along the way (of various kinds - eg, finding keys that open locks, moving blocks, changing iron to gold, shooting and then walking on arrows in walls, burning floorboards away, getting a lift moving, ropes, pulleys, lever puzzles, etc) and achieving physical challenges involving controlling your character - ie, platforming correctly, quickly jumping away from triggered traps, completing combat, timed challenges, etc.

Ideally, the complexity of the level should be high in terms of working out the correct pathway and the platforming. The combat, traps and other timed challenges should also be tricky in places.

Along with................

-Lara Croft who has a strong movement set - to enable the platforming / physical gameplay built around that to be (a) challenging (b) complicated (c) genuinely interesting and immersive - like it's happening for real

-A story involving unexplained mystery and unusual happenings. It ought to be a game filled with diversity, surprise and genuine awe at what is happening.
Blackmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-17, 22:59   #18
Costel

[QUOTE=JsotoTRSaga;7749060
Old School Puzzles, no more Rope puzzles, no more axe puzzles, just bring me some good keys or cards to find. Bring me levers, switches, pressure plates.
[/QUOTE]

How about we keep rope puzzles, axe puzzles and in the same time bring keys and cards to find and bring levers, switches, pressure plates? This way we make everyone happy.
Costel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-17, 23:12   #19
Blackmoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Cassidy View Post
I could name a lot of things but then it is possible that a game could have all of those things and still doesn't feel quite right. In the end it's poetry, not mathematics - in other words it is a matter of feeling rather than exact rules.
This is very true.

I mean potentially all TRLE games ought to be great like the older TRs (if you like those), as they have all the same elements, but they're not.

There's obviously MORE to it than "surface" details.
Blackmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-17, 23:39   #20
Lara_Fan1

Funny reading through what everyones definition of a 'Tomb Raider' game is because the reboot games have these pillars in place, they're still there within in the games yet there is just something about them that doesn't feel right for me.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the reboot games ain't good and not entertaining because they are, I enjoy them but when it comes to being a 'Tomb Raider' game it fails.

Perhaps they're focusing too much on the wrong aspects of the game and that's why it doesn't feel right, I don't know.
Lara_Fan1 is offline   Reply With Quote