www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 12-07-18, 14:57   #11
Daring Do
Relic Hunter

RotTR is better. It’s literally just TR2013 but with improved story, gameplay, graphics, etc.

But of course I’m always open to see what SotTR will bring to the table.

Last edited by Daring Do; 12-07-18 at 14:59.
Daring Do is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-18, 14:58   #12
Costel
Archaeologist

If I judge the games based on story gameplay only I would give
Tomb Raider 2013 a 6/10

I even made a thread about it some time ago. It will explain better why that score: http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=218752

Rise Of The Tomb Raider 8/10

Rise did not make major changes but was enough for me to consider it a better game. And thanks God for less QTE.

If I judge the games based on 100% completition
TR 2013 8/10 and that because optional tombs were a joke.

ROTTR 10/10
Old 12-07-18, 15:06   #13
Blackmoor
Tomb Raider

TR2013 was more of a romp. It was bombastic and crazy in places. Also, it was the start of something new and so from a story point of view, it held greater anticipation on the first playthrough because I had no idea how far (or not) they would take things.

When I first played Rise it felt like a bit too much "more of the same", in terms of some of the gameplay moments.

It felt less interesting to me on first playthrough.

But I played it again a year later when it released on ps4, took my time this time exploring everywhere and searching for everything, and I enjoyed it much more for it.

I think Rise is the better of the two because it has more slow, wandering exploring bits than TR2013.

TR2013 is just one thing (usually a gunfight) after another.
Old 12-07-18, 15:08   #14
ersel
Explorer

I agree but I think Rise is better than 2013.
2013 was really interesting because it was something new after Underworld. And Characters are interesting too.
In Rise same gameplay but they improved everything and Lara looks better than 2013
ersel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-18, 15:42   #15
NoahCrofRaider
Professor

I agree with everything you said. I want to say Rise is my favorite of the two, but I just feel more of an attraction to TR2013 tbh.

It has a more mysterious, intriguing, and adventurous story imo. I think if you added more tombs with a lot of challenge and severely cut down the combat, TR2013 would be a great Tomb Raider game. I find Yamatai and its history to be perfectly fitting for a TR game, and still fitting for the reboot universe even with the aforementioned improvements and changes.

Anyway, to answer the OP’s question, I definitely prefer TR2013. TR2013 Lara is a bit rough around the edges (which is fitting for her journey of course), but she has a lot of enjoyable and interesting growth that is appealing to me. The gameplay and story is sufficiently enjoyable to me, and as I previously said, Yamatai is an extremely interesting, mysterious, and enjoyable setting for the game.
Old 12-07-18, 15:56   #16
Yeauxleaux
Professor

*In a candid mood, forgive my bluntess*

First of all, girl that post was a novel, I don't have the time

In terms of story and Lara's characterisation, 2013 was marginally better. It was ok as an origins story. Lara being a whiny angsty little... something, was justifiable, as would have been the lack of iconography if they actually made it mean something by her getting it later. I couldn't stand Sam, and none of the other members of "the help" had any personality or real impact on me.

The gameplay sucked, outside of the optional tombs anyway (which were pretty cool). I don't play Tomb Raider to have waves of mercenaries thrown at me, moving right along...

Rise did have marginally better gameplay for that reason. It was more varied and incorporated some more familiar TR elements into the actual campaign this time... but then the random girl who had the familiar name still sucked and there was still no reason for her to suck like that.
Old 12-07-18, 15:59   #17
TrustyBow
Explorer

After very recently replaying both, I have to say I prefer Rise a good deal.

I love TR13 but its more of an experience than a legitimate game. It almost plays like a movie. Not that thats a bad thing. I think they delivered exactly what they were going for, and I like what they were going for. The game has a large scope.

Main problem I have with TR13 is, after you beat it, you begin to realize how much of an empty game it really is. The tombs almost literally take 20 seconds to beat. There isn't much to do outside of shooting enemies. It's biggest problem is that its too linear.

Rise just offers you so much more. I get what you're saying about how that should have been expected for a sequel, but nobody knew how well executed it was going to be. The story is a bit less engaging than TR13, but this allows for more freedom. The tombs in this game are, to quote Lara, "stunning." The relics/documents, which you aren't obligated to get, do a nice job of building the world up. The pacing is perfect. (So was TR13's) The dlc was very well done. Endurance mode in particular was very fun and helped add to the survivor aesthetic that the game was going for.

I also really like how much there is to ponder about with the game. On a second playthrough I noticed a lot that I initially missed. It's easy to write off Lara as simply following in her fathers footsteps, but looking at certain lines of dialogue and actions, you see that its not that simple. A lot of what she's doing, she's doing for more selfish reasons. I don't want to get into that now but I think Lara's a lot more nuanced in this game than people give her credit for.

All in all, I think Rise offers more of a wholesome experience.
TrustyBow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-18, 15:59   #18
iWANEX
Gold Contributor

I feel like TR2013 is the better game overall while Rise is the better TR experience. If we could blend both, that would be the ultimate TR game for me. It would be awesome if that game’s name turns out to be Shadow of the Tomb Raider.
iWANEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-18, 16:07   #19
biscuits
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustyBow View Post
After very recently replaying both, I have to say I prefer Rise a good deal.

I love TR13 but its more of an experience than a legitimate game. It almost plays like a movie. Not that thats a bad thing. I think they delivered exactly what they were going for, and I like what they were going for. The game has a large scope.

Main problem I have with TR13 is, after you beat it, you begin to realize how much of an empty game it really is. The tombs almost literally take 20 seconds to beat. There isn't much to do outside of shooting enemies. It's biggest problem is that its too linear.

Rise just offers you so much more. I get what you're saying about how that should have been expected for a sequel, but nobody knew how well executed it was going to be. The story is a bit less engaging than TR13, but this allows for more freedom. The tombs in this game are, to quote Lara, "stunning." The relics/documents, which you aren't obligated to get, do a nice job of building the world up. The pacing is perfect. (So was TR13's) The dlc was very well done. Endurance mode in particular was very fun and helped add to the survivor aesthetic that the game was going for.

I also really like how much there is to ponder about with the game. On a second playthrough I noticed a lot that I initially missed. It's easy to write off Lara as simply following in her fathers footsteps, but looking at certain lines of dialogue and actions, you see that its not that simple. A lot of what she's doing, she's doing for more selfish reasons. I don't want to get into that now but I think Lara's a lot more nuanced in this game than people give her credit for.

All in all, I think Rise offers more of a wholesome experience.
This does point out a lot of great aspects in Rise. I've been playing the game and I LOVE how the documents actually explain how the city was built. I especially like the Tracker's story about how he stalked and tailed Jacob for a very long time.
I do think that as a game, Rise is better.
biscuits is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-18, 17:22   #20
Portugalraider
Archaeologist

TReboot is certainly more impactful, and has a better setting, plot and hubs. But while a great game, it wasn't a Tomb Raider game. Besides, while the plot was actually interesting, it was poorly written, poorly acted (especially Mathias, really killed the character for me) and I didn't really liked Lara Croft for the whole game up until the "YOU BASTARDS!" moment.

RotTR had a too by-the-numbers plot, a boring setting and boring hubs. However, I find everything else much more refined, especially the writing and the acting: while the story is bland and Lara is a bit too overdramatic, it was much better written than TReboot, and there was no actor that I thought it was awful. And while Lara was indeed a bit overdramatic, I much prefer her in this game, she is someone I can say it is a young, inexperienced Lara Croft, and we had some (too few, but were there) moments were even the sass was on point. Besides, this game actually does feel like a true, modern Tomb Raider game for me, and besides the hubs and the set pieces, the gameplay was much more engaging for me than TReboot was.

In the end RotTR wins for me: it's my 3rd favourite Tomb Raider game for a reason (TRI and TRIII being numbers 1 and 2 for me).

But I honestly can see it being dethroned by SotTR, from all the info we have. Honestly, I hope I'm right