www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider III > The Lost Artifact

Old 18-12-16, 17:52   #1
fallenangle
Archaeologist

Default Highland Fling 3 of 6 Secrets

Just finished TRIII The Lost Artefact: Highland Fling on a no meds/all secrets run and I've had something odd in the end of level stats screen .

All correct except it is showing 3 of 6 secrets.

I've Googled a bit and can find no mention of this glitch (assuming that is what it is) and all the YT videos and walkthroughs show that there are only 3 of 3 secrets.

Is this a known reporting issue?

Thinking about it I'd swear it happened to me before and I asked about this, maybe even posted on my first ever run through The Lost Artefact. That would have been 5+ years ago now but if I did post either it wasn't here or has been lost. BTW I'm also using a completely different PC, OS and totally fresh install of the TRIII/TLA from my genuine big box originals.

I'd post the screenshot I have of the level end screen but I don't have any online storage facility to be able to share it so you'll just have to take my word for this.
fallenangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-16, 22:23   #2
Alex Shepherd
Relic Hunter

Are you playing it with TR3 Steam? It also happens with me, not only with Highland Fling showing 6 secrets instead of 3 but also Willard's liar shows 5 secrets, it shows the secrets for the original level, first level is 6 and second is 5 and so on.. Even sleeping with the fishes has 3 secrets but it says that no secrets so it based on 4th level of original TR3 that doesn't contain any secret, so it's something has to do with the original Tomb Raider using Tomb Raider Lost Artifact.
Old 18-12-16, 23:45   #3
fallenangle
Archaeologist

As said the I installed the game from my original discs although with the multi-patch neither TRIII or TLA require the discs after the install.

Interesting to hear this isn't an unknown glitch but if so why are all the YT videos showing just 3 of 3 and Stella's authorative walkthrough doesn't mention this at all but covers many other known glitches?

I was thinking about what you said and I've been looking into this matter more and I'm fairly certain you're right and the particular cause is, probably, the no CD fix I used for TR:TLA that is the culprit.

That involves copying/renaming the tomb3.exe file after TR3 has been multi-patched to the installed TR:TLA folder and then copying other files from the TR:TLA disc to that. So essentially what you're doing is using the no CD TRIII multi-patched EXE but with TR:TLA files.

So you're spot on and it is reporting the end of level stats of Highland Fling as if it was the first India level of TRIII (and so on for the other TR:TLA levels) because of that.

Interesting.

Last edited by fallenangle; 19-12-16 at 12:08.
Old 19-12-16, 00:45   #4
laravision
Archaeologist

Yes, this occurs when the normal tomb3.exe is used, as outlined here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardoc View Post
The original TR3 exe will work, but there will be problems. First of all, the game will crash after Sleeping with the Fishes level, because the game will assume you're choosing a new chapter (London, Pacific, Nevada). Also, the number of secrets will be different.
Try using this TRLA No-CD executable as a solution. I think you'd need to make sure that TombPC.dat is reverted (renamed) back to trtla.dat.
Old 19-12-16, 12:26   #5
fallenangle
Archaeologist

Thanks for the info.

I'm fairly sure that tr3gold.exe is what I'm using already. My TR:TLA program install certainly shows the EXE as that although the file size of my one is 20KB larger (944KB as opposed to 924KB).

But I'll certainly try it with the TombPC.dat file reverted to its original trtla.dat name too.

Just hope my game saves work as I'm not going through Highland Fling again just to accommodate this possible solution.

EDIT

Tried it and it works. I have a save for the end of Highland Fling and when I used that new tr3gold.exe (924KB) and renamed the data file back to trtla.dat it now shows 3 of 3 secrets. I've checked the in-game stats for the next level too, Willard's Lair, and that is showing 3 secrets to find as well.

What I hadn't noticed before is that in my TR:TLA main folder there is a backup folder and in that a tr3gold.exe of the same size (924KB). I tried substituting that in and it also works but asks for the CD before it'll load.

That suggests the tr3gold.exe in that link is actually a no-CD patched file.

Last edited by fallenangle; 19-12-16 at 16:25.
Old 19-12-16, 19:24   #6
laravision
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallenangle View Post
That suggests the tr3gold.exe in that link is actually a no-CD patched file.
Exactly! I was a little confused with your original reply (before you made the edit), when you said that the link with the gold exe I provided was the one you were currently using. But that couldn't have been the case, given that you were seeing the incorrect secret statistics, which is one of the downsides of using the normal tomb3.exe (944KB), as opposed to the No-CD variant tr3gold.exe (924KB), originally provided by b122251.
Old 20-12-16, 00:07   #7
fallenangle
Archaeologist

I just went with that tomb3.exe renaming method as it was the first one I found when I Googled. I assumed, obviously incorrectly, that there was no legitimate alternative.

Thanks again for the info.
Old 07-01-17, 22:34   #8
peeves
Legend

Location: Heaven with the cats and TR's 1 through 6 and the 4 classic expansions

I thought the willard's lair level would only show 4 secrets since there's only 4 in the 2nd level of the original TR3 game. Just like shakespeare cliff would show 5 sleeping with the fishes would show none then after finishing that level a globe would come up telling you to select your next adventure then when you do the game crashes. I was on twitch watching someone stream that and that person had that same problem.

Last edited by peeves; 07-01-17 at 22:35.
peeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-17, 13:47   #9
fallenangle
Archaeologist

As said in my edit to an earlier post if you use the tr3gold.exe laravision pointed to and use that with the installed game instead the secrets issue is completely resolved. I'd saved just before the end of Highland Fling so I could go back and redo that and then continue.

So I don't know what happens at the end of Sleeping With The Fishes if you use the previous method but I'd not heard of that particular problem before.