Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Arts and Entertainment

Old 31-12-19, 16:12   #1
DragonSlayer

Default Favourite and least favourite remake

What remakes do you like and not like?

Favourite, War Of The World's 2005, though it could have done without Robbie as he was just annoying, I know that some people complained about Dakota Fanning's screaming in the movie but she was playing a scared kid so that's understandable, Robbie was a completely unnecessary character and the movie would have been just fine without him.

Least favourite, Johnny Depp's Willy Wonka I'm not the originals biggest fan but I prefer the original over Depp's version.

Not exactly a remake but I'm including it anyway the recent War Of The World's miniseries that was on BBC1, it was really bad for starters instead of sending a large group of soldiers to one of the alien spheres they sent only 12 guys among them Harry Potter's cousin Dudley with limited weaponry.

Apart from one scene with the aliens tripod and the only scene where the aliens actually appear, the aliens are hardly in it, when aliens invade you should show the aliens more not less, the aliens looked like the widowmaker from Resistance Fall Of Man but much less scary and not very intimidating, one review I read said that the alien looked like a walking scrotum which made me
DragonSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-19, 23:16   #2
Ashnod

Your examples are not games, so with that in mind...

Favorite Film: The Ring

Such a powerhouse remake. So many good actors. Treated the original material seriously. Made changes (the main character does copious amounts of research instead of having psychic abilities to reveal the clues) that actually improve the narrative, in my opinion.

Honorable Mention Film: True Grit

We can argue whether or not this is a remake of the John Wayne film or just a more faithful adaptation of the original novel, but wow..towering performances from everyone involved. I was riveted the entire time.

Favorite TV: Battlestar Galactica

Jeez, where to begin. Yes, it's almost nothing like the original, save for the basic concept and basic ideas of the characters. Everything else is new and textured, stripping away the comedy and easy resolutions for some very dark and realistic replacements. There is a scene, very early on, in which a choice has to be made whether or not to abandon a small fleet of vessels to an oncoming attack in order to save the majority of the survivors...and they abandon them and make the sacrifice. Most shows, including any Star Trek and the original Battlestar Galactica would have the characters manufacture a way to save everyone. Not this show. It had teeth, and wasn't afraid to use them.

Let me think about the least favorites, and I'll get back to you.
Ashnod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-19, 23:27   #3
JsotoTRSaga

Dawn of the Dead and Night of the Living Dead are amazing remakes.

I did not particularly enjoy Child's Play Remake but it wasn't that bad. I just prefer the original series.

I enjoyed watching Jungle Book, Maleficent and Lion King even though I think Lion King Remake felt really weird. There was something off about it.
JsotoTRSaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-19, 23:29   #4
Ashnod

Quote:
Originally Posted by JsotoTRSaga View Post
Dawn of the Dead and Night of the Living Dead are amazing remakes.
Oooooh, good picks. I have to admit, I'm not a big fan of zombie films in general, but I did like both of these remakes. Dawn of the Dead, in particular, I felt was well done.
Ashnod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-20, 16:06   #5
DragonSlayer

I forgot about the Battlestar Galactica remake I love that show.

I like the RE1 and RE2 remakes, can't wait for RE3 remake.

My least favourite remake, Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes.

It took everything good about MGS1 and ruined it IMO.

The game didn't need MGS2 controls which ruined the boss fight with Ocelot, plus the unnecessary added scenes that weren't in the original like Snake backflipping off a missile in midair and Sniper Wolf's death in the remake didn't have the same emotional impact that it had in the PS1 version.

Twin Snakes is not how you remake a classic by adding controls and extra scenes that the original didn't have.

RE1 and RE2 are how you do a remake right.
DragonSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote