www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Underworld

Old 29-06-17, 16:28   #41
JsotoTRSaga
Professor

Location: Chamber of Souls Favorite Food: Jaffa Cakes Gender: Oni

It's almost funny that so many people around here hate on Underworld Lara, I have always found she looked absolutely great in the LAU trilogy but out of the three games Underworld Lara is the one I consider my favorite closely followed by Legend Lara.
It's just a matter of taste I assume?

Last edited by JsotoTRSaga; 29-06-17 at 18:51.
JsotoTRSaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-17, 16:54   #42
SrDanielPonces
Relic Hunter

The swan dive animations is the one i consider the most awful tbh
Old 30-06-17, 11:12   #43
Boobandie
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooxman View Post
There's nothing wrong with cartoony characters. Just take a look at the Batman Arkham games: all of the characters look cartooony, but they're still pretty detailed. But in Underworld Crystal tried to combine the cartoony look from TRL and TRA with something more realistic and by doing so they put Lara deep into the uncanny valley and made her ugly.
The main complaint is the textures on TRU Lara. They are high resolution but there is very little detail on them. She got the award for the polygon count, but it was really wasted. Just look at fan retextures of her that actually harness the size of the textures. They showed the pores in her cheeks in legend, but underworld wasn't anywhere near as detailed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugalraider View Post
But most importantly, Eidos was again going bankrupt so they probably didn't gave CD much time to finish the game and they probably sacrificed animations (and other stuff) to deliver the game on time.
They definitely sacrificed the hair tech. Her ponytail is made up of several different meshes that, as you can see in the early screenshots, were supposed to animate separately. They hastily glued it together before release because they couldn't perfect it in time, hence why her ponytail doesn't look as good as it did in Legend.
Boobandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-17, 15:50   #44
Kapu
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooxman View Post
There's nothing wrong with cartoony characters. Just take a look at the Batman Arkham games: all of the characters look cartooony, but they're still pretty detailed. But in Underworld Crystal tried to combine the cartoony look from TRL and TRA with something more realistic and by doing so they put Lara deep into the uncanny valley and made her ugly.
Oh I didn't mean to say a cartoon aesthetic is a bad thing. Lara has always had a cartoonish look after all, what with the big eyes, buxom figure, and light-on-details textures. I feel that the "next-gen" look for Lara in TRL shares that cartoony but detailed look you mention. But yeah, it just did not work in TRU. She looks sickly.

Last edited by Kapu; 01-07-17 at 15:52.
Kapu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-17, 22:28   #45
Wooxman
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobandie View Post
The main complaint is the textures on TRU Lara. They are high resolution but there is very little detail on them. She got the award for the polygon count, but it was really wasted. Just look at fan retextures of her that actually harness the size of the textures. They showed the pores in her cheeks in legend, but underworld wasn't anywhere near as detailed.
I think that they relied too much on bump mapping in TRU and thus didn't bother with putting more details onto the textures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapu View Post
Oh I didn't mean to say a cartoon aesthetic is a bad thing. Lara has always had a cartoonish look after all, what with the big eyes, buxom figure, and light-on-details textures. I feel that the "next-gen" look for Lara in TRL shares that cartoony but detailed look you mention. But yeah, it just did not work in TRU. She looks sickly.
Yeah, TRL Lara in NG looks pretty good, although not very realistic. Still far better than TRU Lara who was made for 7th gen consoles "from the ground up" (I really hate this term ).
Old 11-07-17, 23:46   #46
OzzyOreo
Hobbyist

Just got onto Underworld (as im playing throught the series again) and MY GOD it is such a pain in the *ss! The camera, swimming, running, climbing urgh i just can't! And DON'T get me started on the ATROCIOUS combat!!!!
OzzyOreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-17, 14:17   #47
Nigel Cassidy
Professor

^ Yeah that's pretty much my reaction nine years ago...
Nigel Cassidy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-17, 00:44   #48
SrDanielPonces
Relic Hunter

I loved how if you die on a checkpoint place, the game will reload on that checkpoint
Old 17-07-17, 13:47   #49
ANoDE
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyOreo View Post
Just got onto Underworld (as im playing throught the series again) and MY GOD it is such a pain in the *ss! The camera, swimming, running, climbing urgh i just can't! And DON'T get me started on the ATROCIOUS combat!!!!
I didn't remember it to be that bad, but compared to other games I've played lately, I have to say you're right.
Additionally, most animations seem sped-up to a point where they just look stupid. Is there a patch agound that could fix this? Still wouldn't change the controls, but it at least wouldn't look that oddly.
ANoDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-17, 07:48   #50
loom
Student

Movement and animations are a little buggier, but graphically it was quite a bit better than Legend/Anniversary.
loom is offline   Reply With Quote