www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 16-07-17, 21:44   #331
b122251
Explorer

I don't think this is helping. To anybody wanting to leak the source code, but being afraid to do so, having an e-mail address it can be sent to won't make a difference. Some day we may get the source code, but it probably won't be from Square releasing it, and it certainly wouldn't be from begging old Core programmers or Realtech VR for it.

I still believe someday it will be leaked. But I also think that day is still far away, and until then, decompilation is the best we have.
b122251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-17, 00:00   #332
Alain19
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustie View Post
There's no reason to demonise anyone,

Realtech want to make the most of what they have so they keep their hands on the code, that's understandable (even though I still think that after they were finished with the work on Angel of Darkness any and all permits they had to the code lapsed and they technically didn't have the rights to use it in any way anymore),

the same goes for ex Core programmers who probably feel the risk is too high for them to cooperate with anyone wanting to have a look into the code. As a community of enthusiasts, for what we are now today we just lack credibility and we haven't done anything to earn trust with them - they probably wouldn't want to share anything even in secret.
I certainly didn't want to demonize anyone! I even said that Realtech announcement if it was a joke was a GOOD April joke! We just don't know if it is a joke or some kind of attempt to reduce legal dangers! I just gave them a opportunity to increase the pressure under their complete control if they so want. I'll just happen to be happy if they send anything!
Alain19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-17, 00:24   #333
Gh0stBlade
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain19 View Post
I certainly didn't want to demonize anyone! I even said that Realtech announcement if it was a joke was a GOOD April joke! We just don't know if it is a joke or some kind of attempt to reduce legal dangers! I just gave them a opportunity to increase the pressure under their complete control if they so want. I'll just happen to be happy if they send anything!
Even if they did, you're literally posting everything on a public forum which would seriously get them into trouble. I doubt they'd send anything because they're not allowed to.
Old 17-07-17, 07:41   #334
Dustie
Relic Hunter

^ Well that is completely out of question, sharing anything in public. What I think is that they might not want to share anything even if it was in secret, because I doubt they would consider anyone in the fanbase trust-worthy.

At the same time, I am all for keeping the e-mail address, because who knows...? It would be nice to update the OP, though, since some of the images are broken and we are a bit better informed now.

Last edited by Dustie; 17-07-17 at 07:42.
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-17, 16:24   #335
Alain19
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey79100 View Post
Facebook. At least some of them have Facebook, and some of them are even friends with fans, ....
I admit I don't give a **** about TR1 code if we could ever get TR4 source code instead. Because it would be much more useful for TRLE builders, ...
Thanks for the suggestion, I may want to try Facebook sometimes in my life! I think TR1 code would be easier to get and also important historically, but I agree that TR4 would be more immediately useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b122251 View Post
I don't think this is helping. To anybody wanting to leak the source code, but being afraid to do so, having an e-mail address it can be sent to won't make a difference. Some day we may get the source code, but it probably won't be from Square releasing it, and it certainly wouldn't be from begging old Core programmers or Realtech VR for it.

I still believe someday it will be leaked. But I also think that day is still far away, and until then, decompilation is the best we have.
I really don't see what everybody is so afraid of: for sure lawyers promised all the tortures of hell for any leakage at the time of separation, but time has past, and I don't see any company (and they are no longer the same) making a fuss if anybody share a comment of the code that they think is funny! I also wonder what kind of different leaking are you thinking of?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0stBlade View Post
Even if they did, you're literally posting everything on a public forum which would seriously get them into trouble. I doubt they'd send anything because they're not allowed to.
Them getting in trouble because I post something on a public forum? I find RT-VR quite gutsy and they probably can appreciate a joke, and not worrying about legalities. Anyway if I receive anything, the email will soon be erased, I won't post anything until I have studied it (maybe a month or so) and then the priorities will be to save for posterity, share in some way what can be safely shared and inform the forum that something is happening.
Alain19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-17, 11:15   #336
Dustie
Relic Hunter

Just a blind guess, but would a PS1 dev kit (the hardware, not the software) help the decompiling process somehow?
Old 23-07-17, 14:03   #337
MontyTRC
Student

Yes If I remember right, it contained the debug symbols file and the PSX executable.
Old 23-07-17, 20:50   #338
Dustie
Relic Hunter

Yes, but I mean the hardware - the physical equpiment used for PS1 games development (also called devkit). Not the leaked TR4&5 devkit files.

Would that hardware be of any help?
Old 24-07-17, 11:24   #339
TempleOfHorus
Hobbyist

Default TR

I know about one guy which has TR1 PC Review code disc and TR2 PSX Preview code disc. I am trying contacting him, but he wasn't long time online.
TempleOfHorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-17, 11:45   #340
Dustie
Relic Hunter

What are review/preview code discs?