Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Modding

Old 31-01-10, 21:43   #21
The Great Chi
The Inscrutable One

SOPHIE LEE AS A BADDIE IN ANOTHER LEVEL....
One of the problems you are having is that to transfer one baddy to another, (which I have experimented on quite a lot), is that the actual animated hinge points like knees, elbows, shoulders ,must tie in very similarly with each baddie, otherwize the meshes will clash and you get wierd results, error messages or crash problems.

But we can create Sophie, as she is of similar size to Lara, using my tried and tested method below....

ANOTHER METHOD.....
There is a cheating way to create controllable and working baddies by using a disguised Lara, I did a number of video's on youtube, where I cunningly disguise lara as a similar shaped baddie. This is done by transfering the baddies meshes and textures onto Laras frame, using 'Strpix' and where required the '3D Meta' modelling tool to move the meshes around slightly to fit.

It then looks like the baddie has its own control. See two parts of this video of mine, where 'baddies' take control, at 0.43 and 1.04

Last edited by The Great Chi; 01-02-10 at 06:02.
The Great Chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-10, 22:55   #22
ggctuk

Chronicles modding seems to corrupt doors and stop puzzles working even in both the three-level Demo (found on the Tomb Raider Movie DVD) and in the full game (at least with mine)
ggctuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-10, 06:00   #23
The Great Chi
The Inscrutable One

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggctuk View Post
Chronicles modding seems to corrupt doors and stop puzzles working even in both the three-level Demo (found on the Tomb Raider Movie DVD) and in the full game (at least with mine)
Yes, Modding the data file can create all sorts of problems and crashes in the level you are modding.

Chronicles is not the only game that has problems, you can get invisible barriers to stop you getting to your next TR model room in TR1 to TRC, both vertically and horizontally. Both AI and triggers can get messed up (re: your puzzles failing).

The larger the data file in an origional Tomb Raider level, the less modding you can get away with before it gives error messages or crashes, so you do need to limit your mods. If I remember Chronicles data files per level are quite large to begin with, so modding them can be a bit more challenging.

BEST SOLUTION .....
What you must do is always make copies of the data file before you mod, and once you have modded it and it works ok, then take another copy.

When you have massive modding of the data file like some of my long videos, (I will give you an example video below) I may have up to nine different data files of the same level with different modding within it, and as I use my mods to make a video, i just splice the identical levels together, so it just looks like the one

Angcor What ?

Better quality/bigger picture.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5gXurDN95M
Old 04-02-10, 16:18   #24
GameGlitcher77

Cool Well in that case...

Check this out:

GameGlitcher77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-10, 16:48   #25
CelticGuard

GameGlitcher did not want Sophia in the Lara slot I think. That is not difficult at all. In those 24-mesh baddy slots by modifying and clearing the right meshes it is possible to construct a 24-mesh Sophia with the baddy's anims, but that is way too timetaking, I don't think anyone has patience to keep repositioning meshes to get a perfect skeletal copy of the goon.

IIRC, TR1 might have some 15-mesh baddies for Sophia to be imported onto them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Chi View Post
Yes, Modding the data file can create all sorts of problems and crashes in the level you are modding.

...you can get invisible barriers to stop you getting to your next TR model room in TR1 to TRC, both vertically and horizontally.
As far as I know, since TRC can only use FexMerger there is no way out (possible solution: mod another level of the location, like try Streets of Rome,which works perfectly modded). For TR1-TR4 simply use TRViewer instead of FexMerger. TRViewer has really less chances of messing up your level and allows fantastically easy modding compared to PixStr.
CelticGuard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-10, 17:40   #26
Mokono

I imported the doppelgänger from TR1 to TR2 and it worked (although i had to put her Lara's animation to move), but it only moved forward to the point it would eventually get stuck in a corner or disappear. It's also possible to import Natla (wich crashes sometimes) although the meshes are misplaced.
Mokono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-10, 20:24   #27
GameGlitcher77

Cool Well if you must know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticGuard View Post
GameGlitcher did not want Sophia in the Lara slot I think. That is not difficult at all. In those 24-mesh baddy slots by modifying and clearing the right meshes it is possible to construct a 24-mesh Sophia with the baddy's anims, but that is way too timetaking, I don't think anyone has patience to keep repositioning meshes to get a perfect skeletal copy of the goon.

IIRC, TR1 might have some 15-mesh baddies for Sophia to be imported onto them.
The flamethrower thug or the one with the rifle fits Sophia's meshes almost perfectly.
Old 05-02-10, 14:37   #28
The Great Chi
The Inscrutable One

GG77, I really like that video you made of the dragon at the mansion. The dragon is a very complex model made of two seperate models joined together, due to its massive size, and I see you managed to get both halfs working in unison and also get the dragon transformation blast.

That is very technical indeed, well done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokono View Post
I imported the doppelgänger from TR1 to TR2 and it worked (although) i had to put her Lara's animation to move), but it only moved forward to the point it would eventually get stuck in a corner or disappear. It's also possible to import Natla (which crashes sometimes) although the meshes are misplaced.
There is a way to get a perfect TR1 doppleganger (Bacon Lara) to work in TR2, 3 or 4, (maybe 5 as well as I have not tried that yet) using Lara as the operating model......

You replace all the meshes of lara, with the meshes of Bacon lara, and although they do not fit on exactly, you can adjust the mesh locations using a 3D modding program like 3D meta, till you get the model working perfectly.

I use this in my "Bacon Lara's revenge" series

I also found that bacon laras arms are just slightly further out in the shoulders compaired to laras, so I added a bit to the top arm meshes, so there would be no gaps. Also her neck is longer, but you can adjust it to suit. (all mods done using 3D meta)

Here is an example video of TR1 Bacon Lara in a TR3(gold) level and a TR2 level. I needed a seperately made model of Bacon lara for the TR2 and TR3 levels.
I also needed seperate models for the Bacon lara on the shark in the water and bacon lara 'wearing' the shark for running purposes, and another model for lara with fishing rod and fish (all made using 3D meta)

Bacon Laras Revenge 5 (gone fishing)

Last edited by The Great Chi; 05-02-10 at 14:52.
Old 05-02-10, 17:27   #29
CelticGuard

Flamethrower thug in TR1?

IIRC, on one of those thousands of little sites with TR2/TR3 mods, there was a bacon lara mod, which came in both trmvb form and TR2 as the Laras Home level. I'm searching for it, will post a link If I find it...maybe Mokono knows?

offtopic: Since it seems to be this recurring fashion to post mod videos in this thread maybe I'll make one of my own. xD

While I'm at it, here's Winter Orange no Coat (Really LQ preview. It's much better in-game). I'm remaking all the outfits from Legend for TR2/TR3

[IMG]http://i46.************/akd6xj.png[/IMG]

New Meshes by me (head, hands, ponytail instead of braid). Original textures by Mokono, from their Winter No Coat oufit (used with permission). Thanks a ton Mokono!!!

Last edited by CelticGuard; 05-02-10 at 17:36.
CelticGuard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-10, 19:10   #30
GameGlitcher77

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticGuard View Post
Flamethrower thug in TR1?
No, the one from TR3.

Most of the human enemies in TR3 have exactly 14 meshes.