www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 14-02-18, 07:33   #41
Caesum
Tomb Raider

Underworld was half-baked because of bad management, not because they wanted to end up the trilogy ASAP. I think it's the reaction to short and clunky TRU alongside with money from SE which made Crystal Dynamics reconsider the entire trilogy and ditch it in favour of something new and fresh. I also believe one of the reasons why TR was rebooted was because Crystal Dynamics wanted to make Lara their own, without looking back at Core's Lara.
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-18, 18:51   #42
ESCachuli
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesum View Post
Underworld was half-baked because of bad management, not because they wanted to end up the trilogy ASAP. I think it's the reaction to short and clunky TRU alongside with money from SE which made Crystal Dynamics reconsider the entire trilogy and ditch it in favour of something new and fresh. I also believe one of the reasons why TR was rebooted was because Crystal Dynamics wanted to make Lara their own, without looking back at Core's Lara.
Well, IMO, if they wanted to create a new character of their own, then do it, but don't destroy Lara Croft.

Too late for that anyway.
ESCachuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-18, 16:38   #43
JACOBryanBURNS
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArigatoGozymas View Post
I honestly think, like Nigel Cassidy said, the main reason why they did the reboot is to create some sort of a rival to Uncharted, which was selling like hot cakes and very well-received and using the big budget they're getting and the iconic title will help them push this entirely new take and huge departure from what Tomb Raider and Lara Croft were ever about.

Tomb Raider: Legend was never really a bad game. In fact, it's one of the really amazing Tomb Raider games. However, it did have multiple issues, such as how the game is quite fast paced that you almost never really explore anything, except for a few puzzles. There's too much running forward, Lara feels so "light" when you move her, and so fast as well. The addition of the auto grab kinda made it feel like the game wants you to keep moving forward at a fast speed rather than gradually traverse the world and think your way through, and the camera was way too far that Lara felt too small, unlike the previous games.

Tomb Raider: Underworld was ideal in terms of exploration, camera, puzzle-solving (though puzzles could've been better), variety in scenery, pace and balance between action and exploration. However, being kinda short and the story feeling a bit off at some moments and some locations feeling rushed, not to mention the glitches are what contributed to the mixed reaction it received.

Quite neatly put.

I couldn't agree more with you. I feel the exact same way about the modern take and how the survival aspect and past trauma feels too generic and pushed onto Lara Croft and there wasn't even any need for that. AOD introduced a dramatic storyline and Lara wasn't how she was in its predecessors, but it made sense, it wasn't forced nor out-of-character.
That part just kills me and is entirely antithetical to their thin attempt at making Lara more feminist-friendly. I was floored that Lara needed some trauma to overcome in order to be worthy of her title of "tomb raider" (which I say all over the forum is the stupidest thing on earth. Change the words into Grave Robber and it doesn't sound so prestigious. To say nothing of how they call her THE Tomb Raider like she's the only person in history on earth who has done this thing.) What they called "Teflon Lara" I called a bad ass who just did what she wanted. She was an independent, no nonsense, take **** from no one kind of girl. Smart, cunning, dangerous. This new girl is an emotionally broken schoolmarm with daddy issues fueling her every move.