Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider III

Old 28-11-16, 19:36   #1
wearemany

Default Do you think the PS1 version of this game is unfair?

I think it is...

TR3 is my favorite classic TR, I love it so much! It's the hardest game IMO and one of the hardest games EVER. I played this game for the first time on PS1 and thinking back, the difficulty of that version is outrageously unfair.

- The environment is the big killer here. It's very hostile because you're constantly bombarded by all kinds of traps, essentially Temple of Xian on steroids. Spiked ceilings/walls/pits, quicksand, boulders, fire, gun turrents, lasers, rapids, poison darts... All of these things can potentially kill you instantly or in a matter of seconds, and some of them are unseeable. I remember playing Madubu Gorge for the first time, then I got to a room with a save crystal floating over a ledge and when I landed on the ledge, Lara was ON FIRE! I couldn't believe my eyes. I took a break from the game because of how ****ed up that was.

- You have a limited number of saves. You've got to collect save crystals throughout the levels in order to save and that's the biggest factor that makes the game so unfair IMO. Considering the insane amount of instant death traps this game throws in your face and how unexpected they are, if you're playing the game for the first time, you're going to die A LOT. That means you have to predict the perfect places to save the game because if you die on those traps or for whatever reason, you're gonna have to play some sections all over again or even the whole level. The rule of thumb here is: A new room and don't know what lies ahead? SAVE THE GAME IF YOU CAN!

- It's very dark most of the time, especially the London levels. Sometimes you can't even see what you're picking up from the ground because of that.

- It has some of the hardest Secrets to find in the history of TR. I'd say it's almost impossible to find all of them without a meticulous guide. Some of them require precise timing, others requires not being seen by a guard or killing a guard quickly before he activates a switch. In some cases, you're given the choice to follow two separate paths and depending on which one you chose, you'll miss out on a Secret.

- The kayak controls. That's all.

- This game may not have the toughest enemies (I'm not sure), but it certainly has some of the deadliest ones ever. Venomous cobras, mutants and lizards, aaaargh. The T-Rex and the Velociraptors are tougher here than in TR1 or 2 though, that's for sure.

There might be some of other factors I'm missing, but that's most of them. All of them apply to the PC version, except for the save system and the darkness. You have unlimited saves on PC and the crystals that are there heal you. You can also adjust the gamma to make it brighter. It's MUCH easier and enjoyable IMO.
wearemany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-16, 20:01   #2
ThatSassyKid

The limited number of saves are good, I mean, they're quite generous with how many of them there are. You'll find TR1 is far worse
I just hate how All Hallows only has one near the end
ThatSassyKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-16, 20:11   #3
wearemany

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatSassyKid View Post
The limited number of saves are good, I mean, they're quite generous with how many of them there are. You'll find TR1 is far worse
I just hate how All Hallows only has one near the end
But overall, TR1 is a much easier game. In fact, yesterday I talked about this issue with someone. This guy told me the whole old school TR community agrees that TR1 is the hardest TR game ever, even though it's not true. He's not even a part of this community anyway. And he said he can't remember any outrageously difficult level in TR3.
Old 28-11-16, 20:12   #4
peeves

Well i thought TR3 and TR1 on the PS version quite fair. I seen worse games out there such as the CD games i mean in legend you have so many unfair moments especially the last level. I know as unfair as madubu gorge may be on the PS version it's still nothing compared to Bolivia redux in TR7 in terms of how hard it is. Bolivia redux is madubu gorge on steroids by far. I managed to do all 146 core design TR levels with all secrets no meds and in one sitting with no deaths/reloads or every time you fail that challenge just redo the whole level over again. I love all the core levels.

Last edited by peeves; 28-11-16 at 20:14.
peeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-16, 20:12   #5
Quebsenuef

I think the PS1 version could've be been polished a bit more. I'm fine with the limited number of save crystals but the thing that always bugs me is the lack of lighting. When you start out High Security Compound is almost pitch black and you have zero flares. It's ridiculous. If I have to adjust my TV to a different brightness level whenever I want to play your game that is a flaw.

Other than that, I really enjoy TR3 for PS and go back and play it every now and again. The difficulty is definitely ramped up, so much so I'd say this is the most unforgiving TR there is. Ceiling tiles falling, boulders that appear right in front of you, secrets that are almost death sentences with little reward, limited saves, and difficult platforming make for a really challenging experience!
Quebsenuef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-16, 20:15   #6
wearemany

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeves View Post
Well i thought TR3 and TR1 on the PS version quite fair. I seen worse games out there such as the CD games i mean in legend you have so many unfair moments especially the last level. I know as unfair as madubu gorge may be on the PS version it's still nothing compared to Bolivia redux in TR7 in terms of how hard it is. Bolivia redux is madubu gorge on steroids by far. I managed to do all 146 core design TR levels with all secrets no meds and in one sitting with no deaths/reloads or every time you fail that challenge just redo the whole level over again. I love all the core levels.
Really, Peeves? A Legend level being hard? Harder than Madubu Gorge?
Old 28-11-16, 20:22   #7
peeves

Quote:
Originally Posted by wearemany View Post
Really, Peeves? A Legend level being hard? Harder than Madubu Gorge?
Well hell yeah I mean bolivia redux, is so much harder to try to do all secrets no meds no deaths/reloads because of the enemies dodging your attacks most of the time plus in other levels in legend lara is just all over the place i mean i just really struggle to keep lara running straight. the motorbike sequences are frustrating because lara will be all over the place instead of controlling her like an easy piece of cake.
Old 28-11-16, 20:23   #8
Classic98
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by wearemany View Post
But overall, TR1 is a much easier game. In fact, yesterday I talked about this issue with someone. This guy told me the whole old school TR community agrees that TR1 is the hardest TR game ever, even though it's not true. He's not even a part of this community anyway. And he said he can't remember any outrageously difficult level in TR3.
You're definitely right about TR1.

He's taking the p@#$ about TR3

TR1 is still fantastic, btw.

Last edited by Classic98; 28-11-16 at 20:25.
Classic98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-16, 20:32   #9
Classic98
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeves View Post
Well hell yeah I mean bolivia redux, is so much harder to try to do all secrets no meds no deaths/reloads because of the enemies dodging your attacks most of the time plus in other levels in legend lara is just all over the place i mean i just really struggle to keep lara running straight. the motorbike sequences are frustrating because lara will be all over the place instead of controlling her like an easy piece of cake.

Yes, Peeves, but you're choosing to play the game in a specific way with certain parameters applied. Personally, I think the way to judge the difficulty of a game is on the first, and possibly, second playthrough.

Though TR3 is still difficult on the PS when you've played it half a dozen times already.

Sorry about the double post. I didn't realise.

Last edited by Classic98; 28-11-16 at 20:33.
Classic98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-16, 20:46   #10
peeves

Well classic98 that's the whole idea is to do the level with all secrets no meds and no losing. Otherwise the game would be too boring in the CD eras. And it's not like if you don't do a certain parameter the screen will say parameter failed medi pack used, secret missed, or you didn't do the level in one sitting. But syphon filter games will do that.

Last edited by peeves; 28-11-16 at 20:50.