www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor > Tomb Raider Next Generation Level Editor

Old 06-09-17, 18:56   #21
Tjw croft
Archaeologist

Location: Atlantean Incubator Egg; Pre-Hatching Sequence Initiated

Unfortunately I have no skills with so much in terms of object making or animation or I'd be trying my hand at this. I can imagine things, but as of yet, bringing them to life myself is not a thing...
Old 11-09-17, 20:31   #22
Tjw croft
Archaeologist

Just wondering how everyone's doing on this? I know it's a "just to see" thing right now, so only curious.
Old 12-09-17, 06:30   #23
A_De
Explorer

Perhaps all who tried to do a spiral staircase decided to stick with space of 2x2 sectors.
Old 12-09-17, 07:04   #24
Krystian
Explorer

I have returned from my errands so I can now focus on making a script and seeing where I get with making the animations.
Krystian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-17, 13:41   #25
Tjw croft
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_De View Post
Perhaps all who tried to do a spiral staircase decided to stick with space of 2x2 sectors.
@A_De: If I may, you seem very against this idea, and I'm not sure I understand why. Would you be willing to explain? I realize this is a more complicated way to go about something, but for certain aesthetics, it certainly would add something new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystian View Post
I have returned from my errands so I can now focus on making a script and seeing where I get with making the animations.
@Krystian: I'm extremely excited to see how this comes along! Fingers crossed!
Old 12-09-17, 21:10   #26
Niveus
Professor

I had a brain wave the other day with regards to a collision set up using single click high stacked rooms, no collision sectors, and bridge flats. I haven't had time to put it into the editor yet, and it's still not fully formed in my head.

One major downfall with this, though, would be that all connecting rooms on a lateral plane would obviously only be able to be single click high rooms. A massive waste of rooms if you ask me, especially if you want a tall staircase. The more I have thought about it, the more the animation route seems more feasable.

Who knows, though: the collision flipeffects I have barely ever used, so I might be able to find efficiencies and streamline it as I build.

Hopefully I will be able to demonstrate soon what I have imagined.

Whatever the outcome, I already plan on designing some beautiful spiral staircases, and having a punch at some animating for it too.

And because a 1x1 spiral staircase on its own is of minimal benefit vs amount of input work (though it's a cool side project), I have thought a lot about flipping the idea on its head, and turning them into traps with spiked steps, staircases that can come out of floors like Monstrum Crime Scene, or spinning out from underneath trapdoors, and perhaps even steps that flatten into a slope (see: Obelisk of Khamoon). You might even have a puzzle whereby rotating the staircase gives access to new areas.

Last edited by Niveus; 12-09-17 at 21:24.
Niveus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-17, 09:57   #27
A_De
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjw croft View Post
@A_De: If I may, you seem very against this idea, and I'm not sure I understand why. Would you be willing to explain? I realize this is a more complicated way to go about something, but for certain aesthetics, it certainly would add something new.
I wouldn't say that I'm totally against that idea, it is jut too much complicated to achieve. Other people also mentioned that. 2x2 staircase is more simple to to, and it still looks good IMO. If you played the Dracula's Return then you understand what I mean. Besides that 2x2 staircase does not require additional custom animations and/or advanced scripting skills. I think this is important since not all the builders are experts at these things.