Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Anniversary

Old 25-06-17, 07:38   #141
CoTeCiO

I absolutely love it! This was the game that got me back into the franchise after TR2.

I just happened to talk with my brother back in 2007 and he told me he found his TR2 CD and I Googled Tomb Raider to see what was going on with the franchise, as the last I knew was that they released a game that felt like incomplete, very buggy and clumsy (yeah, Angel of Darkness) and a movie came out that was... Not so good (Cradle of Life), so that was in 2003. When I Googled Tomb Raider, I found out there was a brand new game coming out called Tomb Raider Anniversary and it was a remake of the first one! My PC sucked so I thought that it was not going to run at all in it, but surprisingly, I downloaded the demo and it ran pretty well. I was hooked, I "borrowed" the game from the internet and spent years hunting a physical copy of the DVD until in 2012 I found and bought one. I spent five years looking for a copy of the game, so that must tell you something haha!

It's quite different to TR1, but it feels more up to date. I mean, if a game with the mechanics and controls of TR1 came out today, it would feel dated, so I think they did the right thing bringing the game to the modern day. After all, you have the original one and the remake to choose from, both are awesome in their own way and TRA is a good tribute to the original, in my opinion!
CoTeCiO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-17, 08:26   #142
Patrick star

I agree with you on Anniversary being a good tribute to TR1 , I don't really think it's that horrible compared to TR1 as people around here think , in fact , TR1 and TRA are two games with whom I find a very hard time deciding which one I'd pick over the other , they have about the same amounts of pros and cons for me , both aren't my favorite from each developer , TR1 has the upper hand regarding the exploration , the platforming and the music , but TRA had way better and more clever puzzles , better secret system and better combat (including boss fights) , in terms of art direction I think they're both not that good (only that Egypt and Atlantis in TR1 look better than TRA's whereas TRA's Greece and Peru are better than TR1's) , I find them both to be almost equal in terms of being slightly boring and not so encouraging to go back to (IMO) , Anniversary is riddled to death with longass empty corridors that they start to quickly grind your gears after a while , it also abused ledge-hopping in a really annoying fashion , and don't get me started on the forced adrenaline dodge and TR1 being the first and most basic TR game I think its gameplay is very repetitve , boring and incredibly pale in comparison with the subsequent classics afterwards , Lara's animations are also a bit crappy and unpolished (also compared to the following classics) and there are many empty cube-like rooms at many points in the levels (the TR1 counterpart of Anniversary's corridors) , I'd rate both around 7.2/10 in terms of how much I enjoyed them Though to be fair to TR1 , the game that started this amazing franchise , it was revolutionary and a game-changer at the time of its release , I think my opinion would've changed drastically had I experienced it day 1 . but after playing all of the classics before TR1 , I think it easily falls apart in comparison.

EDIT : Oops , I've posted a very similar post earlier in the thread , my memory sucks

Last edited by Patrick star; 25-06-17 at 10:35.
Patrick star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-17, 13:45   #143
Kivlov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick star View Post
I think they're both not that good (only that Egypt and Atlantis in TR1 look better than TRA's whereas TRA's Greece and Peru are better than TR1's)
Agree! I remember that there was a nice puzzle with 5 levers in TR1's Palace Midas, and there was no such in TRA's Palace Midas.
Kivlov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-17, 01:07   #144
Nigel Cassidy

I've been playing it again for the first time in a while. It's got good platforming and puzzles, but the combat, apart from the excellent bossfights, feels very repetitive and pointless. It's very silent and empty in terms of story and characterization, which is sometimes nice, but in a modern game that would be unacceptable. Speaking of which, I think this remake was made in just the right time. A few years later and wouldn't have been possible anymore to remake TR1 without having to make massive changes.

St. Francis Folly, Croft Manor and the Lost Valley have to be the best levels ever produced by a Crystal D Tomb Raider game. The Lost Valley I think should one day have an entire game of it's own.

It seems as if the problems that the Steam version of this game had have been solved; at least I didn't encounter any during my playthrough...
Nigel Cassidy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-17, 10:55   #145
Blackmoor

I'd love a ps4 updated TR1. I don't mind that changes have to be made provided the essence of the locations remained the same.

Could you imagine the Lost Valley done with today's graphics... and then moving into Qualopec's tomb behind the waterfall.... Omg, it'd great.

I actually think all of the first 4 games (TR1 -4) would actually make great transfers into current gen games.

My dream in fact....
Blackmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-17, 22:27   #146
Yeauxleaux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmoor View Post
Could you imagine the Lost Valley done with today's graphics... and then moving into Qualopec's tomb behind the waterfall.... Omg, it'd great.
I'd love to see The Lost Valley in contemporary graphics.

I think because of graphical constraints on PS1 and 2 (even for Anniversary), we still haven't really been able to see what the Lost Valley, conceptually, was supposed to be. Is it a rainforest, or is it a tropical savanna? Either way, they could make it so lush and huge now with the newer tech.

I think as Nigel said though, it would have to be it's own game to really explore that, since making the valley too big in a TR1 remake would probably detract from the wider Peru level.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote