Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

Closed Thread

Old 24-09-14, 06:10   #1
mizuno_suisei

Default Sound Issues - new to me

Hi all.

Come across a sound effect issue that I've never come across before so thought I'd give it a stab and ask.

I'm using a directly ripped wad from the Tomb of Semerkhet under it's original name (semer). My only wadmerger edits have been adding a new LARA objects (with all anims) and Default Sprites. Nothing else.

When I attempt to do a playtest of the level, some sounds are missing (is that odd as the sfx and sam files should be as the original?) for example, it seems the extra non #g classified sounds are missing. Lara's sounds are all in fine and other generic sounds that appear in most levels, but certain ones are missing such as the push open doors, the (i don't know what you'd call it) the 4 piano key looking things that Lara rotates to play the Senet game :P).

I then thought I could easily fix this by editing SFX Example.bat and insert a new line. pcwadsfx semer l to include all the samples with #l (for Tomb of Semerkhet) assigned as per sounds.txt which you'd think, would work. I run the bat file and it successfully replaces my semer sfx and sam files perfectly.

Unfortunately, this has caused issues. The menu rotate sounds are now explosion sounds. (Lara sounds seem all okay though). Shatter sound is missing etc... I open the wad in wadmerger and for example click Menu_Rotate sound slot and it's been assigned explos1.wav

So, quite stumped here! I wish we could just #g all the sound effects without it crashing the game ;(

Any ideas for this one? Any step I may be missing?

Kind Regards,
Old 24-09-14, 12:28   #2
EssGee

Use Sapper's TRLE Sound Editor. You will be able to fix it all with that.
Old 24-09-14, 14:05   #3
Joey79100

It's not bad to avoid problems with other solutions, but we can't be sure it will really solve the problem, especially in this case. Using another tool won't magically solve the problem if it's a "problem" and not a "bug". Maybe it would be good to correct it instead, or at least to find their cause, if you agree mizuno?
If yes, then I start:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizuno_suisei View Post
I then thought I could easily fix this by editing SFX Example.bat and insert a new line. pcwadsfx semer l to include all the samples with #l (for Tomb of Semerkhet) assigned as per sounds.txt which you'd think, would work. I run the bat file and it successfully replaces my semer sfx and sam files perfectly.

Unfortunately, this has caused issues. The menu rotate sounds are now explosion sounds. (Lara sounds seem all okay though). Shatter sound is missing etc... I open the wad in wadmerger and for example click Menu_Rotate sound slot and it's been assigned explos1.wav
You had a good reflex to use the sound.txt file correctly. Most people think that just clicking on the bat file without doing nothing would solve every problem magically, but you've made it correctly and took the correct precautions before.
The only thing is that it doesn't work the way it should... Mh, maybe the original file isn't exactly the same as the one of TRLE, and maybe it's only.... moved from one or two lines, or somthing like that?
Can you check if the numbers of the sounds used by the objects (open the Animation Editor and open the AnimationCommands window) correspond to the ones of the sound.txt file? Or if they are just a little different? (NG Center gives you the numbers in the Reference pannel)
Old 24-09-14, 14:57   #4
mizuno_suisei

Hmm.

Sorry I didn't treply to this sooner.

Another team member sent me a new sounds folder containing a sound.txt (no different to my original) but the SFX Example.bat has EVERY TLR level added to it for it's corresponding pcwadsfx ### # data for every level. This seems to have done the trick. Simply adding my semerkhet line after the pcwadsfx city line at the end and not adding any other levels from TLR caused some form of glitch :| Can not explain this one at all
Old 24-09-14, 15:43   #5
Joey79100

Indeed, it's strange. But at least it works.
Old 25-09-14, 04:40   #6
mizuno_suisei

Problem Solvered! This thread may be closed if desired
Closed Thread