Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 31-05-18, 19:49   #741
Yeauxleaux

Kind of gives me Effy Stonem/Kaya Scodelario vibes, just nightmarish and with brown eyes instead of blue.

No shade to Kaya, she's stunning.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-18, 00:27   #742
Eliana Croft

I love the second to last model of her she just needs a slightly darker brown lipstick bit other than that she's perfect!
Eliana Croft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-18, 20:21   #743
Jen_TR

Wow I haven't been on this thread in a long time! I have no amazing pictures to contribute, but I have just looked through a gazillion posts and those of you who have put your images of Lara in here are so so so talented. They are all gorgeous and drawn so well. Seeing 'real' Lara in so many different ways has made my evening.
Jen_TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-18, 01:16   #744
larafan25

These seem to be the parts of Lara's face which need no changing when adapting her face design to realism:

When it comes to the nose, which is basically too small and would be the main alteration, there are too options:

Option 1: Scale the nose entirely, while maintaining it's shape. By maintaining the relationships between the nose and the other features, we end up with a nose that is both longer and wider. As a result Lara's head is then dramatically longer and wider. The identity of the nose is very important, however because this causes the entire face to become longer and wider, the change looks bigger than it is.

Option 2: We only alter the pieces of the nose which need to be changed. scaling the width and height of the nose separately, neglecting it's identity in favor of maintaining at least the general length or width of the face. This has been the process used in the past.

Just thoughts.
larafan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-18, 07:22   #745
Ahoora
Inactive

Thumbs up

That's really good to hear. Thanks !
Ahoora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-18, 10:10   #746
Yeauxleaux

Quote:
Originally Posted by larafan25 View Post
These seem to be the parts of Lara's face which need no changing when adapting her face design to realism:

[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VXKtYqE.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/BvmnPOL.jpg[IMG]

When it comes to the nose, which is basically too small and would be the main alteration, there are too options:

Option 1: Scale the nose entirely, while maintaining it's shape. By maintaining the relationships between the nose and the other features, we end up with a nose that is both longer and wider. As a result Lara's head is then dramatically longer and wider. The identity of the nose is very important, however because this causes the entire face to become longer and wider, the change looks bigger than it is.

Option 2: We only alter the pieces of the nose which need to be changed. scaling the width and height of the nose separately, neglecting it's identity in favor of maintaining at least the general length or width of the face. This has been the process used in the past.

Just thoughts.
At the end of the day, the face is not going to look the same when you re-create it "realistically". This is because the proportions of classic Lara's face were so cartoonish and almost ridiculous, it's impossible to make it look real without somewhat changing some features.

Instead I think it should be re-done entirely, but just keeping some general Lara-esque features and traits, an inspired version. Across all versions of Lara up until Reboot, she generally had the following features;

- Quite a high hairline/large forehead
- Full lips
- Somewhat large eyes
- Brown to dark brown eyes (Angelina Jolie being an exception)
- Quite arched eyebrows, although that was just a 90s trend and I guess could be subject to change.
- Olive skintone, and hair that ranged in colour from a rich brown to outright copper-y (probably dyed, looking at her skin tone I imagine her natural hair colour being darker)

So if I was going to make a "realistic" classic Lara, I'd start by giving her features inspired by this list, just making it all a lot more proportional than what classic Lara had. It's the proportions of classic Lara's face that was so jarring, not so much what the features were themselves. This includes her nose, which always looked just a little too small next to her lips and eyes. Typically in real life, noses are somewhat proportionate to the rest of the face, especially in faces widely considered "attractive".

So yes I think changing her nose probably has to happen, if you don't want to shrink down all of her other distinctive features in order to make a nose like she already had fit. I think collectively, it's more important to maintain the rest of her features and change the nose (which would keep her more recogniseable as classic Lara overall), than to keep a similar nose and end up with everything else changing to fit it (which would basically give you Reboot Lara).

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; 18-06-18 at 11:26.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-18, 22:22   #747
larafan25

Well.

Quote:

Option 2 seems to be the only reliable, sane way of going about this. As I found out.

This face was made a few months ago now, but I've done it so many times now I'm more confident about this one... in retrospect.

I think the Legend/ Anniversary/ Underworld face is probably (as we've said before) an accurate realistic adaptation of her face.

The reboot face is probably just taking that realism further, as realism seems to be a gradient into a more common or average face. One that we're more likely to see on a person.

I covered the TR1 body with photos (lazily), without really changing the proportions of the body much:

The photos I've used imply more muscle definition or bulkiness than she's probably supposed to have, but it's easier to smooth that away than it is to start adding them back in, so it's not a problem.

Her chin might still be a little bit broad.

With option 1, I believed I could adjust only the features which needed to be made realistic, but in a uniform way. But I then found out, for instance, that changing the size of her nose as a whole, would cause the face to be dramatically long, which is inconsistent with Lara's appearance. So if the length of the nose was already plausible, then it was just the width which should be altered. While this does change the appearance of her nose as an individual, on her face, it allows us to maintain the accuracy of her overall face shape. This applies to all changes made.
Old 17-09-18, 18:20   #748
RocketLombax

My god, I've got to say, I absolutely love this last one here! She both looks and feels like a version of Lara that easily bridges the minor appearance changes among all the classic versions! I could picture this even switching to AoD Lara with a simple swap of hair and still feeling accurate!

As rough as it may be, nicely done with the body too! Even with the odd proportions classic Lara had, she still looks both accurate, and somehow still even more fitting of the acrobatic feats of strength she constantly displays.
Very good work!

On a fun side note, it's interesting to mention that between the Legend and Anniversary models, Eidos did subtly change her facial proportions. I remember back in the day noticing that her nose seemed so much smaller in Legend comparatively.
RocketLombax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-18, 18:35   #749
larafan25

I never noticed the difference between Legend and Anniversary nose:

I wonder why it was done.

They don't look so different to me though...
Old 18-09-18, 05:31   #750
RocketLombax

I could be wrong, as I haven't compared models themselves. It might be texture related, to be honest. Though I could've sworn I noticed it while using the Legend skin in anniversary, which uses the Legend face textures...

There are a few odd differences between the two versions though. Lara's body proportions are longer in Anniversary than in Legend too, and she's even a bit taller. You can kind of tell when standing next to Winston.

Nothing major, really, but just kind of odd that the changes were made in the first place.
RocketLombax is offline   Reply With Quote