www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 29-08-17, 16:21   #21
Craig Michaels
Explorer
 
Craig Michaels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Berkeley, California
Posts: 972
Default

Interesting to me that several of the paintings (Mary Queen of Scots, the horseback riding picture, the ladies of the Lake family) and then the Italian paintings (Rome, Venice) might suggest something about Lara's family (or, maybe just Core Designer's taste).

1. Paintings of the Stuart family could suggest that the Crofts were Royalists in the English Civil War. This is compounded with the Italian paintings which could suggest why . . .

2. The Italian Paintings, especially Rome from the Vatican, could suggest that the Crofts were historically Catholic (although the Rome painting was done by English painter J.M.W. Turner and is filled with mythological symbolism). If the Crofts were Catholic though, this would be one reason they were Stuart supporters.

*Probably* reading way too much into the paintings . . . it could also be that whoever the texture designer was happened to choose paintings that suited his or her taste.
__________________
archaeologist in Berkeley
Craig Michaels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-17, 16:48   #22
Yeauxleaux
Professor
 
Yeauxleaux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 3,876
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Michaels View Post
Interesting to me that several of the paintings (Mary Queen of Scots, the horseback riding picture, the ladies of the Lake family) and then the Italian paintings (Rome, Venice) might suggest something about Lara's family (or, maybe just Core Designer's taste).

1. Paintings of the Stuart family could suggest that the Crofts were Royalists in the English Civil War. This is compounded with the Italian paintings which could suggest why . . .

2. The Italian Paintings, especially Rome from the Vatican, could suggest that the Crofts were historically Catholic (although the Rome painting was done by English painter J.M.W. Turner and is filled with mythological symbolism). If the Crofts were Catholic though, this would be one reason they were Stuart supporters.

*Probably* reading way too much into the paintings . . . it could also be that whoever the texture designer was happened to choose paintings that suited his or her taste.
It's fun to speculate though, given we get so little information about Lara or her family in the classic games tbh.

All this seems very plausible, given The Crofts have likely been a highly prominent family for centuries and might have had to take a stand on certain political issues.

Although, this is her Aunt's old house, so it probably only says something about her and Lara's father's side of the family. Maybe the Aunt married a prominent man from Italian society, explaining the renaissance paintings?
__________________
So starry-eyed on the flowery hillside breathless and fervid amid the dandelions

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; 29-08-17 at 16:49.
Yeauxleaux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-17, 16:55   #23
Wooxman
Relic Hunter
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Germany
Posts: 5,697
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Michaels View Post
2. The Italian Paintings, especially Rome from the Vatican, could suggest that the Crofts were historically Catholic (although the Rome painting was done by English painter J.M.W. Turner and is filled with mythological symbolism). If the Crofts were Catholic though, this would be one reason they were Stuart supporters.
I would've guessed that there're Italian paintings in TR II because Lara goes to Italy in that game and Core wanted to do a bit of foreshadowing.
__________________
Never forget: Gameplay is king!
Wooxman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-17, 03:57   #24
Boobandie
Professor
 
Boobandie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 3,410
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Michaels View Post
2. The Italian Paintings, especially Rome from the Vatican, could suggest that the Crofts were historically Catholic (although the Rome painting was done by English painter J.M.W. Turner and is filled with mythological symbolism). If the Crofts were Catholic though, this would be one reason they were Stuart supporters.
Core did introduce Father Patrick as a friend of the family, and there is a chapel on the manor grounds, with possibly a destroyed older one being buried in the race track (that little room up the dirt ramp with the fire could be a bell tower)
Boobandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-17, 16:53   #25
Dustie
Relic Hunter
 
Dustie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: AoD 1.5 by freakraider (Poland)
Posts: 8,169
Default

I was trying to do some Google searches with those super-small paintings, but the best I get is always just some paintings with very similar backdrops (albeit often beautiful ones).
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-17, 18:36   #26
Famicom
Historian
 
Famicom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: City of Vilcabamba
Posts: 341
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobandie View Post
That one isn't shakespeare, or elizabeth. It's Mary Queen of Scotts.

But let's do this...here are all the ones I know.
Excellent! Do you have a large resolution version of this?
__________________
I'm sorry. I only play for sport.
Famicom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-17, 20:38   #27
Dustie
Relic Hunter
 
Dustie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: AoD 1.5 by freakraider (Poland)
Posts: 8,169
Default

That's the size the textures originally come in, so if you want it bigger I think you can just download the image and resize it in Photoshop or Gimp
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-17, 23:47   #28
Boobandie
Professor
 
Boobandie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 3,410
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustie View Post
I was trying to do some Google searches with those super-small paintings, but the best I get is always just some paintings with very similar backdrops (albeit often beautiful ones).
Are you able to find the one of the single horse and rider from TR1/2? I've not been able to locate it yet.
Boobandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-17, 18:51   #29
Dustie
Relic Hunter
 
Dustie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: AoD 1.5 by freakraider (Poland)
Posts: 8,169
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobandie View Post
Are you able to find the one of the single horse and rider from TR1/2? I've not been able to locate it yet.
Nope, they seem to be too small to give Google any clue...
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-17, 20:19   #30
aidanmalone
Professor
 
aidanmalone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: England
Posts: 4,175
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobandie View Post
Are you able to find the one of the single horse and rider from TR1/2? I've not been able to locate it yet.
No luck with that one here too The closest one I've found is this one as a placeholder:



I've been away for a couple of days but my this thread has certainly picked up interest I've always been fascinated in trying to figure out original assets like art and architecture. I'm going to see if I an also create a more 3D looking Ark of the Covenant that sits in her main hall.

Last edited by aidanmalone; 02-09-17 at 20:21.
aidanmalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 14:49.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.