Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 22-06-18, 15:46   #1
Samsdad

Default Style of Game Play

In reading some of the recent threads I noticed that there are individuals that are seeing things that I do not see and I could not help wonder why I wasn’t seeing these things. This included things like disappearing equipment such as a pickaxe or a rope from Lara’s belt or missing animations during certain types of movement. And then it struck me that I never really focused on the in-game avatar. My focus was always outward to the surrounding environment
I play TR games to show me to interesting places and to participate in interesting situations. So to me Lara is an interesting character that I can direct through various adventures but I never view myself AS Lara. Lara is an avatar on the screen that I move about in a variety of ways and I can become emotionally moved by the story in which she is involved.
Now I suspect that others actually view themselves as Lara and have a much deeper identification. To them game play might be much different and they might pay more attention to the on-screen figure.
The degree that the player identifies with Lara is probably a continuum and I am out at one extreme but I was interested in where others might view themselves and how that affected what they see and how they play the game.
Samsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-18, 15:51   #2
Vaskito

While I play the game, I don't see myself as Lara, but rather as a silent companion. I'm with her, watching her living her adventure and growing as a character, and silently "telling her" she messed up when she does, or that she was a total badass doing something, or simply feeling impressed with her, like "I could never have the courage to do what she did. What a warrior queen she is!"

Last edited by Vaskito; 22-06-18 at 15:53.
Vaskito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-18, 15:52   #3
Princess_Paige
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaskito View Post
While I play the game, I don't see myself as Lara, but rather as a silent companion. I'm with her, watching her living her adventure and growing as a character
Same as me
Princess_Paige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-18, 16:05   #4
2001LC20
Inactive

It's funny because reboot Lara is basically me! Personality and character-wise, but i am just A LOT worse. When i play the games i feel like it's not just her but also me there. I both love her as a character and someone like me (and i love Camilla's excellent voice of Lara). There are even moments like me saying "ohh my god! That's so me there!! Haha"
2001LC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-18, 16:05   #5
tomblover

I'm in the same boat as Vaskito, too.

I'm accompanying Lara on her adventures -- her presence in the environment is important to me, thus, but the main draw of the game while I'm playing is the world she explores.

In that sense, I suppose I am Lara while I'm playing, because that's the main draw for her too, but she's more than an avatar to me. It's not Tomb Raider without Lara Croft, is my point.

Last edited by tomblover; 22-06-18 at 16:07.
tomblover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-18, 16:30   #6
za.parry

For me, it seems to be a morph between seeing Lara and I as one in the same and accompanying her on her adventures. In combat situations, I always find myself thinking, “Alright so how can I deal with this? What should I do?”. I kind of put myself in Lara’s shoes and figure out the ordeal. But in those crazy action set-pieces where ****-hits-the-fan and everything’s collapsing and crumbling beneath her feet, I tend to think something along the lines of, “OH **** LARA! WHAT ARE YOU DOING?! MOOOVEE B*TCH!”. So I guess it kind of depends on what’s going on in the game for me.
za.parry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-18, 16:38   #7
TrustyBow

Interesting read. Yeah I always saw my self as being with Lara as opposed to actually being her. Almost like a silent sidekick. Or at least more so with Rise.

TR13, I was just like I need to get this girl out of here lol
TrustyBow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-18, 16:46   #8
iWANEX
Golden

Me too. I always see myself as a companion for Lara. We are BFF.
iWANEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-18, 18:30   #9
Error96

I see myself as Lara exploring the area and uncovering the mysteries. The Core era is so uninterrupted which makes it much easier to be the character. Nathan McCree did the most incredible job at making the player connect to Lara so I feel what Lara does from panic, trepidation to relief and beauty. I totally admire classic Lara and I love being a badass and doing crazy jumps.

The advent of cinematic games has really weakened connection to characters as you watch the character rather than play as them. Say you have a section where a beam shakes for effect but you can't fall then that just annoys me. I find the connection is much weaker to the more emotional reboot Lara character. I don't feel as she does and she always feels sadness or struggle which isn't enjoyable to feel. I love the escapism side of TR and not as much the realism angle.

Last edited by Error96; 22-06-18 at 18:39.
Error96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-18, 18:48   #10
TrustyBow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Error96 View Post
I see myself as Lara exploring the area and uncovering the mysteries. The Core era is so uninterrupted which makes it much easier to be the character. Nathan McCree did the most incredible job at making the player connect to Lara so I feel what Lara does from panic, trepidation to relief and beauty. I totally admire classic Lara and I love being a badass and doing crazy jumps.

The advent of cinematic games has really weakened connection to characters as you watch the character rather than play as them. Say you have a section where a beam shakes for effect but you can't fall then that just annoys me. I find the connection is much weaker to the more emotional reboot Lara character. I don't feel as she does and she always feels sadness or struggle which isn't enjoyable to feel. I love the escapism side of TR and not as much the realism angle.
Thats fully understandable. I think this is the reason you get so many complaints about the animation and why many people dislike Lara being so somber.
TrustyBow is offline   Reply With Quote