Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Anniversary

Old 14-05-18, 21:28   #1
LAUFan

Thumbs up Low-kill runs

I'm a vegetarian and pacifist in real life, so I tend to prefer to try low-kill runs in video games when possible even though yes I'm aware they're not real, just pixels My policy is generally to only kill either of course when it's mandatory to proceed or when an enemy is blocking my way to an artifact/relic or puzzle so much that I pretty much have to kill them if I don't want Lara to die.
So far I managed Level 1 Mountain Caves with only 3 kills(on easy mode, admittedly), with all artifacts/relics and no Lara deaths, and Level 2 with only 2 kills and all artifacts/relics and no Lara deaths. A few playthroughs ago I even managed a no-kill run of the Coliseum level. Anyone else attempted low-kill runs on Anniversary or other LAU games?
LAUFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-18, 01:26   #2
Mickybyrne20

Nope. I kill anything that moves.
Mickybyrne20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-18, 05:47   #3
HarleyCroft

In the opening levels of TR2 and TR3 I always avoid killing the tigers every time But other than those two instances, enemies just get so pesky when left alone
A pacifist run sounds like an interesting challenge though!

Edit- whoops, just noticed you specifically asked about the LAU series Enemies are just too determined to kill Lara in Crystal games to not shoot until they stop moving

Last edited by HarleyCroft; 15-05-18 at 05:50.
HarleyCroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-18, 07:22   #4
LAUFan

The easiest of the LAU trilogy to due to a low-kills run is Underworld due to the tranq gun not really counting as a kill because it just non-lethally knocks them out for about a minute, but even on the easiest setting, tranq ammo is still limited.
Legend is impossible for a true pacifist run because some rounds of mercs need to be "taken care of" to unlock cutscenes etc. The bike runs are all madatory kills(yep, I've tried a pacifist run), not to mention of course the boss fights, as are a couple rounds in Peru, but once you know which enemies are optional kills and which aren't, I can manage a reduced-kills run at least on easy mode.
When doing low-kill runs on Anniversary, I sometimes get a bunch of bats stalking Lara like a game of dodgeball, but I've managed to spare them while popping a Medipack. I just managed a completely pacifist/no-kill run of the very first level/Mountain Caves in Anniversary. I used to give in and shoot the bats because getting the second artifact is much trickier with bats stalking Lara, but I managed it. I just finished a run of Lost Valley where I only killed the dinosaurs and a couple bats, all the wolves and the bear were spared!

I haven't played any of the reboot games yet, but I've heard those are super combat-heavy, so anything close to a pacifist run sounds impossible!

Last edited by LAUFan; 15-05-18 at 07:36.
Old 16-05-18, 05:29   #5
LaraThaRaider

I don't really think you should play a game like the TR Franchise if you're a pacifist, since every game in the franchise REQUIRE you to kill at least 3 enemies, whether they're a boss or just enemies required for a cutscene etc..
LaraThaRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-18, 05:31   #6
LAUFan

I still love the games nonetheless <3 I'm disabled and hardly ever leave home, so playing TR is actually therapeutic to me because I love to imagine exploring exotic places. I find the amount of enemies in the LAU trilogy manageable for the most part, but I was disappointed that the reboot trilogy is so combat-heavy

Last edited by LAUFan; 16-05-18 at 05:33.
Old 17-05-18, 12:35   #7
Ruu11

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAUFan View Post
I'm a vegetarian and pacifist in real life, so I tend to prefer to try low-kill runs in video games when possible even though yes I'm aware they're not real, just pixels My policy is generally to only kill either of course when it's mandatory to proceed or when an enemy is blocking my way to an artifact/relic or puzzle so much that I pretty much have to kill them if I don't want Lara to die.
So far I managed Level 1 Mountain Caves with only 3 kills(on easy mode, admittedly), with all artifacts/relics and no Lara deaths, and Level 2 with only 2 kills and all artifacts/relics and no Lara deaths. A few playthroughs ago I even managed a no-kill run of the Coliseum level. Anyone else attempted low-kill runs on Anniversary or other LAU games?
Peru Caves with 3 kills? I actually think that you can beat that level without killing anything lmao. Just avoid them with some acrobatics!
Ruu11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-18, 19:51   #8
LAUFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruu11 View Post
Peru Caves with 3 kills? I actually think that you can beat that level without killing anything lmao. Just avoid them with some acrobatics!
Since I posted that, I managed it no-kills a couple times

ETA something I've noticed is that technical no-kill runs are impossible on Level 2 of Anni as even though I didn't shoot anything, two wolves still ended up dying because they followed Lara into water and ended up drowning presumably, although I guess technically I can still make it to Level 3 without killing anything. I tried to do Lost Valley with only killing dinosaurs and nothing else, but it's pretty much impossible to shoot the metal thingy above the bridge to create a grapple point without bats getting caught in the crossfire.

Last edited by LAUFan; 17-05-18 at 21:21.
Old 22-05-18, 13:29   #9
JoelCaesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAUFan View Post
Since I posted that, I managed it no-kills a couple times

ETA something I've noticed is that technical no-kill runs are impossible on Level 2 of Anni as even though I didn't shoot anything, two wolves still ended up dying because they followed Lara into water and ended up drowning presumably, although I guess technically I can still make it to Level 3 without killing anything. I tried to do Lost Valley with only killing dinosaurs and nothing else, but it's pretty much impossible to shoot the metal thingy above the bridge to create a grapple point without bats getting caught in the crossfire.
Maybe try the manual aim button? I don't know why it exists in anniversary but its there!
JoelCaesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-18, 20:40   #10
Pyro99

Oh I've never even considered doing that lol. I'm a pacifist irl but in video games I will not rest until every single enemy is killed
Pyro99 is offline   Reply With Quote