www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future Tomb Raider Games

Old 12-01-17, 17:10   #41
Mikky
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyRaider4Life View Post
I wouldn't read into it. It was just Christmas and and New Years, so I'm sure some employees are still on holiday and they're probably just working hard for an E3 reveal. I wouldn't expect anything earlier than that.
Yeah, exactly.

I think it's a bit too soon to start playing the impatient game. And regarding SOTTR, devs or publishers rarely, or ever, comment on rumours and speculation, so no-one should be surprised about that. E3 will be where it's at. People should concentrate on other things until then.
Old 12-01-17, 22:41   #42
Blackmoor
Relic Hunter

E3 isn't till June...

Is E3 the earliest big games convention in 2017? Or are there any others that they might reveal something at before then?
Old 12-01-17, 22:52   #43
Evan C.
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmoor View Post
E3 isn't till June...

Is E3 the earliest big games convention in 2017? Or are there any others that they might reveal something at before then?
Gamescom is another huge one! And that happens on August 28 this year.
Old 12-01-17, 23:01   #44
Rai

Blackmoor was asking about conventions before E3, if any.
Old 12-01-17, 23:54   #45
Melonie Tomb Raider
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
Blackmoor was asking about conventions before E3, if any.
Yeah, pretty much just PAX South and East before E3 in terms of bigger conventions, but nobody announces games there unfortunately xD
Old 12-01-17, 23:59   #46
Grenade
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by robm_2007 View Post
How soon after Rise did they mention starting on the third game? Rise released 15 months ago, so if they started talking about beginning to develop/plan the third game when the second barely released, then...what money were they using? Unless they still had some of MS's bailout money left over to begin SOTTR...hopefully that game won't be affected by any timed exclusives because of that.

I also don't get why Hitman got a house-funded release while TR didn't. I'm betting that they wasted too much on developing FF games in that time, maybe Hitman was cheap enough to afford, MS funds ROTTR, while SE pays out the rest on FF.

But of course, speculation gone wild.

EDIT: Deus Ex also released last year. Why have money for that also?

Let me go get that magic 8 ball to unlock all these mysteries.
Hitman had Sony throw money at them for a few exclusives like that Sarajevo Six mission.
Old 13-01-17, 01:28   #47
robm_2007
Legend

Location: ...a herd of beautiful wild ponies running free across the plains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonie Tomb Raider View Post
They could afford ROTTR production, hence why they already started the game and revealed it at E3 as multi plat before exclusivity deal. MS just threw phat money at them after and they took it, not because they couldn't afford not to, but because it must have been too much to turn down.

P.S. Hope they don't do it again
After them saying that TReboot, after several million sales was a disappointment and made it sound like a loss, I'm not so certain they could afford to actually finish ROTTR. Start it? Sure. Finish it? I doubt it. Xbox wanted their own "Uncharted" and decided to do a temporary monopoly on it. They couldn't dare approach them to outright buy the IP, just a year exclusivity. You're poor, we are lagging in console sales, win-win. (Disregard that ROTTR probably sold MS more Zunes than Xbox Ones).

Them announcing it as multiplatform at E3...they knew it was going to be multiplatform. And it is. Just with fine print. That's regardless if MS came in before or after that initial E3 reveal. And we only knew about the MS deal when they announced it. It could have happened anytime.

They didn't even really campaign the game. Not even with MS's money and if as you suspect, SE's money as well. That's a big question mark!

And then them feigning satisfaction with the measly sales on Xbox. Nothing adds up. But if could be so bold as to go even more speculative: the TRU DLC only got made because MS offered them money to make exclusive content for it. And then it got made. (Assuming I remember correctly). Let's say CD knew they had a better pocket to pick in MS than Sony, and asked for funding. They kept saying that the Xbox deal was so they could make "the best Tomb Raider game" or something to that effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grenade View Post
Hitman had Sony throw money at them for a few exclusives like that Sarajevo Six mission.
No way, those missions are absolutely throwaway. That's not the kind of money that gets you funded. That's pocket change. All they added was a bit of Diana briefing you on the mission and a new NPC model in a reused level. Whatever those mission got them is indicative that that's all it bought them. It bought them virtually nothing.

Last edited by robm_2007; 13-01-17 at 04:40.
robm_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-17, 01:33   #48
Rai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonie Tomb Raider View Post
Yeah, pretty much just PAX South and East before E3 in terms of bigger conventions, but nobody announces games there unfortunately xD
Yeah, I was wondering about PAX but remembered someone saying something like that. So, I guess it really is either a magazine reveal or wait 6 months for E3.
Old 13-01-17, 05:55   #49
Melonie Tomb Raider
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by robm_2007 View Post
After them saying that TReboot, after several million sales was a disappointment and made it sound like a loss, I'm not so certain they could afford to actually finish ROTTR. Start it? Sure. Finish it? I doubt it. Xbox wanted their own "Uncharted" and decided to do a temporary monopoly on it. They couldn't dare approach them to outright buy the IP, just a year exclusivity. You're poor, we are lagging in console sales, win-win. (Disregard that ROTTR probably sold MS more Zunes than Xbox Ones).

Them announcing it as multiplatform at E3...they knew it was going to be multiplatform. And it is. Just with fine print. That's regardless if MS came in before or after that initial E3 reveal. And we only knew about the MS deal when they announced it. It could have happened anytime.

They didn't even really campaign the game. Not even with MS's money and if as you suspect, SE's money as well. That's a big question mark!

And then them feigning satisfaction with the measly sales on Xbox. Nothing adds up. But if could be so bold as to go even more speculative: the TRU DLC only got made because MS offered them money to make exclusive content for it. And then it got made. (Assuming I remember correctly). Let's say CD knew they had a better pocket to pick in MS than Sony, and asked for funding. They kept saying that the Xbox deal was so they could make "the best Tomb Raider game" or something to that effect.

No way, those missions are absolutely throwaway. That's not the kind of money that gets you funded. That's pocket change. All they added was a bit of Diana briefing you on the mission and a new NPC model in a reused level. Whatever those mission got them is indicative that that's all it bought them. It bought them virtually nothing.
The MS deal was 100% after the E3 reveal. CD would not have been allowed to take in preorders on PS4 otherwise. MS came in late production, no doubt (also I recall someone from CD even saying so - no one expected the MS deal and it was a surprise).

SE puts a lot of resources into games. FFXV and KH having unrealistically long development times, for example. There's no way FFXV sold nearly what it costs to make. It's normal for game publishers to make some games that profit less or none at all, while other mobile titles and such costs very little to make but pour in tons of money. However, instead of throwing away all the expensive and big titles, they choose to work on them even though they're less profitable because of company image - this is very common. SE wouldn't want to be known just as a mobile game company - they have published way too many massive games, some of the best in the world, and they keep their image as the mega game publishing studio they are by continuing such expensive titles that some make little or no profit on (though some expensive titles do bring in profit, but not at the cost margins some of the mobile games do).

CD didn't start ROTTR unable to afford to finish it - that's a ridiculous claim and that's not how game development works. Games from AAA publishers get canned if the publisher does not approve of the product, NOT because they can't afford it. SE could 100% afford it, they publish some of the most expensive games in the world. It would take more than a couple bad sales years to put a dent in their wallets, and despite TR not selling what they wanted it too, it was a MAJOR success and they aren't idiots.

SE and CD never predicted massive Rise sales given that it was exclusive to their least selling TR platform by a mile. Again, Rise cashed out from the deal, not the sales, though PC sales were great btw. They have extremely smart teams that dive into data and predict numbers. One of the reasons Rise didn't get as much marketing in general could largely be due to the fact that SE knew it wouldn't sell impressively well on Xbox anyway. MS didn't even buy Rise for the expectation of massive sales - they aren't dumb either and they know TR's history of bad sales on Xbox. MS bought Rise timed exclusivity as an IMAGE thing, and they have the disposable income to do it. Xbox lacked a popular Action/ Adventure title apart from multiplat stuff. They wanted TR for the image of having one, not because they were counting on big sales figures. After the MS exclusivity deal, Rise's sales were not dependent on copies sold. SE already made the money they wanted from the deal, and MS got their action/ adventure title with amazing reviews. SE getting money + Xbox looking like a more complete and prestige platform = mission accomplished exactly as they intended.

There's no way Shadow doesn't have enough production money. SE has access to nearly infinite resources, and in this industry big companies dump in massive money on things that don't always get a big return. Rise received incredible reviews, and in turn added yet another impeccable title to SE's roster that made them look good - it doesn't make sense for SE to have halted or delayed Shadow's development. In all due respect, that was an outrageous claim.