www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Motion Pictures > Tomb Raider Films

Old 25-09-17, 16:30   #631
Wooxman
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Rutland View Post
Good to see people defending Alicia and the reboot in the comments of Daily Mail which are usually very harsh:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...r-trailer.html
The text under the first picture, though:
Quote:
The O.G.: Roar Uthaug's action-packed flick - hitting US/UK theaters March 16 - is technically set prior to the two previous Tomb Raider video game adaptations starring Oscar winner Angelina Jolie
No wonder people complain about Alicia not being Angelina when news sites state that the TReboot movie is a prequel instead of a reboot.
Old 26-09-17, 12:47   #632
Zebra
Legend

It's probably already been posted but I just realised that the German version (and probably other localised versions) of the trailer has been out for a while. I think they messed up the translation a bit because Anna uses the formal version of "you" (Sie) to address Lara instead of the informal (du) which one would expect a family friend or relative to be using. I guess whoever translated the lines for the trailer didn't know the actual story of the film.

The acting isn't great in some places, of course, but funnily enough, I think I almost like Lara's German VA's voice a bit better than Alicia's, especially in the "I'll take two" scene. She just sounds a bit more confident and badass IMO . (I'll still watch it in English, though. Can't stand dubs.)

Old 26-09-17, 13:13   #633
Wooxman
Relic Hunter

To me Lara's German VA sounds pretty forgettable. I really hope that this is just a random VA for the trailer and not the same as in the finished movie. But then again this seems to be an ongoing trend: In the past German dubs had VAs with very unique sounding voices, even if they sounded completely different than the actors' original voices. But for quite some time now the studios seem to try to get VAs with voices that are similar to those of the actors which results pretty "dull" dubs.
Old 26-09-17, 13:19   #634
Zebra
Legend

I don't think they sound alike at all TBH. The German VA has a noticeably deeper voice than Alicia and she's got none of that huskiness that's present in Alicia's voice. You should just watch it in English, though. The original sound/script is practically always better than the dub/translation.
Old 26-09-17, 13:29   #635
Wooxman
Relic Hunter

Yes, in this case the VA doesn't sound similar to Alicia, but in finished movies this seems to be a trend. And of course the original is always better, but with outstanding VAs even watching dubs is fun.
Old 26-09-17, 15:12   #636
BigR4444
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
I think they messed up the translation a bit because Anna uses the formal version of "you" (Sie) to address Lara instead of the informal (du) which one would expect a family friend or relative to be using. I guess whoever translated the lines for the trailer didn't know the actual story of the film. ]
Why are we so sure that she's playing Ana?

They've made changes to the script, so it's not that far fetched to think they changed her too.

If they've decided that Ana isn't going to be a villain in the potential sequel, they they might decide that her presence isn't necessary. Why muddy up Laras personal life by giving her a stepmother/ Richards GF after his wife's death... it's not really serving any purpose if they aren't going to see it through later on... they might have just reworked the charachter...
BigR4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-17, 15:42   #637
Dustie
Relic Hunter

Is it possible to watch an original language movie in Germany and other countries which dub theatrical movies? Or do you need to go to a special theatre to see them or go to a special date/time screening?
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-17, 15:47   #638
Portugalraider
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustie View Post
Is it possible to watch an original language movie in Germany and other countries which dub theatrical movies? Or do you need to go to a special theatre to see them or go to a special date/time screening?
Special cinema I think. At least I had to go to a special one in Nuremberg to watch movies in english when I was there
Old 26-09-17, 15:59   #639
PinkyPromise
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigR4444 View Post
Why are we so sure that she's playing Ana?

They've made changes to the script, so it's not that far fetched to think they changed her too.

If they've decided that Ana isn't going to be a villain in the potential sequel, they they might decide that her presence isn't necessary. Why muddy up Laras personal life by giving her a stepmother/ Richards GF after his wife's death... it's not really serving any purpose if they aren't going to see it through later on... they might have just reworked the charachter...
They have made small changes to the script but the skeleton is the same. She is Anna Miller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigR4444 View Post
I do not know in Germany but in Spain u need go to a special theatre. The spanish trailer of TR is very funny...

https://youtu.be/phsWSladwOI

Last edited by PinkyPromise; 26-09-17 at 16:09.
PinkyPromise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-17, 16:16   #640
BigR4444
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkyPromise View Post
They have made small changes to the script but the skeleton is the same. She is Anna Miller.
That doesnt mean anything... They could have changed it after.

They didnt just get any random actress to play the part; they got Kristen Scott Thomas; who was supposedly retired...
They may have altered the part after casting an actress of her caliber...

Of course, theres the possibility that she took the role with the knowledge that her character would be a significant antagonist if a sequel is greenlit, and the role IS Ana...

Im not saying she is or isnt Ana; im just saying, once again, were jumping to conclusions before we know whats what...
BigR4444 is offline   Reply With Quote