www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider Motion Pictures

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 23-09-17, 15:23   #11
Zebra
Legend
 
Zebra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Germany
Posts: 25,116
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooxman View Post
Or that. But tbh it would become kinda lazy if they only used reboot story material and the classics have so little story that they can put in a lot of their own stuff and even some reboot things like Trinity.
I mean, TR2 and TR3 probably wouldn't work too well as films because their stories are kind of meh and all over the place. Perhaps you could take some basic inspiration from them and then build new stories around some of those basic ideas but I can't see actual proper adaptations turning out well. TR1's story would work better as a film but I'm not sure how well it'd mesh with the tone of the reboot. It's the kind of story that works better for a campy Indiana Jones type adaptation. Which leaves TR4 (TR5's stories seem a bit too barebones to base an entire film on any of them). Depending on how much of the supernatural stuff they'll end up including in the film, I suppose that could work. Certain things would have to be changed and moved around, obviously, like anything involving Von Croy - maybe replace him with Lu Ren? Don't really know enough about him yet to know if it'd make sense for him to be digging around in Egypt. But yeah, you could probably do a loose adaptation of TR4 leading into a loose adaptation of AoD. Not that I think it's going to happen but it could theoretically work .
__________________
Wozu zuhören, wenn man reden kann?

Last edited by Zebra; 23-09-17 at 15:25.
Zebra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-17, 18:33   #12
charmedangelin
Archaeologist
 
charmedangelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 2,048
Default

I'm not sure since the movie hasn't aired yet, but I would hope that a sequel features Lara using the duals without the whole family drama.
__________________
Always Pondering
charmedangelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-17, 19:03   #13
HmmmOkay
Hobbyist
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 21
Default

Frankly, if they do make a sequel, as long as it stars Alicia Vikander it'll probably pique my interest. If it has Daniel Wu, even better. Other than these two, not sure who else would be in a sequel, but hopefully more character development of them and whoever else and maybe a bit less emphasis on action.

I'm expecting more action and not so much character development in this film what with the introduction to the characters and world that will probably take a lot of time. If that turns out to be true, I'd like them to reverse that if they do a sequel. There could still be a lot of action, just slightly less in proportion.
HmmmOkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-17, 19:05   #14
James_Rutland
Relic Hunter
 
James_Rutland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Essex, UK
Posts: 9,040
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HmmmOkay View Post
Frankly, if they do make a sequel, as long as it stars Alicia Vikander it'll probably pique my interest. If it has Daniel Wu, even better. Other than these two, not sure who else would be in a sequel, but hopefully more character development of them and whoever else and maybe a bit less emphasis on action.

I'm expecting more action and not so much character development in this film what with the introduction to the characters and world that will probably take a lot of time. If that turns out to be true, I'd like them to reverse that if they do a sequel. There could still be a lot of action, just slightly less in proportion.
I'd like to see them go a Dark Knight approach and have a much darker theme in the sequel. Potentially have Lu Ren get captured and killed by Trinity or EVEN adapt the scene of Lara tied up with Ana but replace her with Lu Ren. Maybe he wasn't with Trinity all along, but they bribed him after the first film or something. I think killing him off would be the less cliche way to go however.
James_Rutland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-17, 20:18   #15
BluenoseGames
Relic Hunter
 
BluenoseGames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: England
Posts: 7,310
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post
I'm not sure since the movie hasn't aired yet, but I would hope that a sequel features Lara using the duals without the whole family drama.
Pretty much.
__________________
Sure . Fine . Whatever .
BluenoseGames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-17, 23:01   #16
HRHCroft
Explorer
 
HRHCroft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 709
Default

Based on what we've seen and know, it seems the chatter about taking elements from the "Tomb Raider" franchise as a whole to make this film was actually true, and we're getting a hybridised version of pre-reboot Lara and reboot Lara. This might also translate into future plots - maybe they actually would consider using a plot from one of the Core era games as inspiration for a sequel? Or include a character like Natla? Who knows.

Although this film is loosely following the 2013 game (including adapting a few set pieces from it directly) it's not beholden to the game itself, and certainly not the game's portrayal of Lara so regarding a potential sequel, I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't follow in the footsteps of "Rise..." at all and did it's own thing.

I believe there were plans to do a reboot movie even before the 2013 was officially in development (around 2008/2009 maybe?), so maybe they decided to use the 2013 game as a jumping off point to establish movie!Lara's origin so that they could get her to the more familiar braid/dual pistols/confident action heroine stage for future films? Rather than being concerned with following the plot and characterisations from the reboot games themselves, I mean. The 2013 game sold well and it's the freshest iteration of "Tomb Raider" in peoples' minds.
HRHCroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-17, 23:55   #17
James_Rutland
Relic Hunter
 
James_Rutland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Essex, UK
Posts: 9,040
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHCroft View Post
Based on what we've seen and know, it seems the chatter about taking elements from the "Tomb Raider" franchise as a whole to make this film was actually true, and we're getting a hybridised version of pre-reboot Lara and reboot Lara. This might also translate into future plots - maybe they actually would consider using a plot from one of the Core era games as inspiration for a sequel? Or include a character like Natla? Who knows.

Although this film is loosely following the 2013 game (including adapting a few set pieces from it directly) it's not beholden to the game itself, and certainly not the game's portrayal of Lara so regarding a potential sequel, I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't follow in the footsteps of "Rise..." at all and did it's own thing.

I believe there were plans to do a reboot movie even before the 2013 was officially in development (around 2008/2009 maybe?), so maybe they decided to use the 2013 game as a jumping off point to establish movie!Lara's origin so that they could get her to the more familiar braid/dual pistols/confident action heroine stage for future films? Rather than being concerned with following the plot and characterisations from the reboot games themselves, I mean. The 2013 game sold well and it's the freshest iteration of "Tomb Raider" in peoples' minds.
It's like comic book movies - they draw inspiration from various different timelines and iterations of the character. That's what they're doing here which makes me excited for a potential franchise.
James_Rutland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-17, 01:06   #18
rewak
Professor
 
rewak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: UK
Posts: 2,624
Default

WE DONT CARE ABOUT HER FATHER!
WE DONT CARE ABOUT HER MOTHER!
WE DONT CARE ABOUT ANYTHING TO DO WITH HER FAMILY!
WE CARE ABOUT LARA BEING A TOMB RAIDER!

Seriously how loud do we have to shout and point at the title of the franchise before they click to this? Just make it about Lara raiding tombs, that's it. She can go searching for the long lost eyeliner pencil of Cleopatra for all i care, at least she'd be raiding some damn tombs for something she wants just because she wants it BECAUSE SHE'S A TOMB RAIDER!
rewak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-17, 04:16   #19
Soma Holiday
Professor
 
Soma Holiday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Onboard the Normandy
Posts: 3,583
Default

I don't care what they do! As long as they don't throw in some stupid and pointless romance subplot (looking at you cradle of life) and as long as lara actually wears clothes that look like something she wore in the games (looking at you again cradle of life (though the original film had pretty atrocious outfits too)) I'll be happy. I would love to see a fricken teal tank top for once!!! Why is it so hard to put a teal tank top on an actress???


In a perfect world I'd love an original story that stood its own next to the classic games, that same solo adventurer feel...but the bar has been set so low from the first films I feel like anything will be good...


plus I mean with Alicia starring I think it will be hard to ruin it for me.
Soma Holiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-17, 13:26   #20
Wooxman
Relic Hunter
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Germany
Posts: 5,693
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
I mean, TR2 and TR3 probably wouldn't work too well as films because their stories are kind of meh and all over the place. Perhaps you could take some basic inspiration from them and then build new stories around some of those basic ideas but I can't see actual proper adaptations turning out well. TR1's story would work better as a film but I'm not sure how well it'd mesh with the tone of the reboot. It's the kind of story that works better for a campy Indiana Jones type adaptation. Which leaves TR4 (TR5's stories seem a bit too barebones to base an entire film on any of them). Depending on how much of the supernatural stuff they'll end up including in the film, I suppose that could work. Certain things would have to be changed and moved around, obviously, like anything involving Von Croy - maybe replace him with Lu Ren? Don't really know enough about him yet to know if it'd make sense for him to be digging around in Egypt. But yeah, you could probably do a loose adaptation of TR4 leading into a loose adaptation of AoD. Not that I think it's going to happen but it could theoretically work .
Of course the stories would need to be changed. If you search for TR2013 cutscene movies, then these alone are over two hours long and probably don't even contain plot relevant gameplay segments. And RotTR "movies" are even more than three hours long. And the upcoming movie uses elements from both games and the comics and cramps them into something that will probably be two hours long and still have action scenes in it. TR I-III are the opposite: There's only a little bit of story, but if the movie producers manage to recreate the basic framework plot of TR2013, I'm sure that they could do the same with the classic games. TR I for example could've a few scenes that take place before Lara meets Larson in Calcutta like her raiding a tomb and then entering the hotel. And the scene in which she breaks into the Natla Technologies building could be expanded. To be honest, I was kinda disappointed that Crystal didn't make this segment playable since they already made the first Peru cutscene playable. In TR II there could be plot relevant scenes that take place in Venice and show Lara asking around to get the location of Bartoli's hideout. And after helping the monks fight off the goons at the beginning of Barkhang Monastery she could talk to the monks and they could tell her about the prayer wheels. After all in a game it makes sense to make the player search for puzzle pieces that open the way to the next level, but from a narrative standpoint it seems kinda random, especially since no one tells Lara about this. Same thing with TR III, and since this game is basically seperated into several subplots, the linear nature of a movie could create a better framework plot that connects the different subplots with each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soma Holiday View Post
I don't care what they do! As long as they don't throw in some stupid and pointless romance subplot (looking at you cradle of life) and as long as lara actually wears clothes that look like something she wore in the games (looking at you again cradle of life (though the original film had pretty atrocious outfits too)) I'll be happy. I would love to see a fricken teal tank top for once!!! Why is it so hard to put a teal tank top on an actress???
I always had the feeling that they implemented the romantic subplot because Angelina Jolie is the kind of actress that people expect to see in such a scene.

And I liked the outfits in the first movie! They were very Lara-like. Though I agree that movie Lara should wear a teal tank top, or better: a teal leotard. I was kinda disappointed to see that Alicia's top is actually grey while even reboot Lara's top is light teal coloured.
__________________
Never forget: Gameplay is king!
Wooxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 00:17.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.