Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider III > The Lost Artifact

Old 25-07-15, 12:49   #21
TombRaiderTim

Quote:
Originally Posted by malferink View Post
Sorry for the bump , but didn't think a new thread was needed for this simple question.
What's the last picture of ? Never seen that before.

And it was really interesting reading the actual story,
it's finally clear to me now
That area with the pterodactyl is sort of an easter egg aswell as a secret, during Shakespeare Cliff just before you finish the level, there is a pump access card just sitting on the ground right in the exit tunnel, now as you first enter the huge area, there is a pump at the side, so after getting the card, find your way back up to the top and flood the place, you can then go to the bottom by the glowing goo and access new places.
TombRaiderTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-15, 23:40   #22
The Great Chi
The Inscrutable One

Monster real and fake...

The first time practically beginning of the level, where Lara stands on a bridge and sees it in the distance on the loch (REAL, looks like a serpent close up), the second time it can be seen behind the bars in the water below the high climbing tower (REAL), the third time it jumps (rearers) out of the water (really REAL ), and the fourth time in the cave (you see the FAKE monsters head moving), and then dive in and come up inside the monsters 'belly' and see the controls (FAKE).
The Great Chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-15, 14:35   #23
TombRaiderTim

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Chi View Post
Monster real and fake...

The first time practically beginning of the level, where Lara stands on a bridge and sees it in the distance on the loch (REAL, looks like a serpent close up), the second time it can be seen behind the bars in the water below the high climbing tower (REAL), the third time it jumps (rearers) out of the water (really REAL ), and the fourth time in the cave (you see the FAKE monsters head moving), and then dive in and come up inside the monsters 'belly' and see the controls (FAKE).
Chi you know its an opportunity to make one of your videos about it.. :P
Old 26-07-15, 15:16   #24
peeves

That's interesting about the lochness monster.
peeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-15, 09:32   #25
TombRaiderTim

I never actually found it at the side before now. The real one anyway, only the lake and machine. xD
Old 27-07-15, 15:23   #26
peeves

I saw it at the side in a video on youtube.
peeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-15, 15:45   #27
TR-Freak
Unverified

Speaking of craziness.

Tony was quite mind****ed when we met him in the jungle.
Maybe the artifacts cause mental illness? Remember that "Reunion" plays between or within different dimensions. The level title "It's a madhouse!" would make much more sense.
TR-Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-15, 22:45   #28
TombRaiderTim

I want to try and explain TRTLA as I see it.

The Hand Of Rathmore

We never really learned of The Hand Of Rathmores true abilities, just a by product Sophia was using on people to mutate them, maybe it had the power of telekinesis similar to the Infada Stone since meteorites mysteriously appeared and moved around in Reunion or maybe its power alone was to summon meteorites like the one it was made from in case it got destroyed?

Sophia Lea Alive

How Sophia survived from TR3, I assume that she only had her immortality destroyed when she faced Lara beings as she was vulnerable to gunfire this time around, as it could make sense since Willard came back, even if only briefly but they both had used the power of the Eye Of Isis before.

Sophia Discovering Rathmore

Beings as Willard knew that one of the Artifacts were in London, he himself may have met with Sophia at some point, trying to persuade her to depart ownership of the Eye Of Isis but refusal probably happened and he left.

I think some time after, Sophia may have gained the initiative to research more in depth about Willard, then may have came across information on other artifacts which resembled hers or she never knew of the other ones and only learned of the location which Willard had hidden Rathmore.

Conclusion

Either way that is how I understand the game, but people may have other ways of seeing things.
Old 28-07-15, 06:56   #29
trfan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCTRF View Post
Thank you Chi,

unfortunately I thought it was something like the other loading screens in the pdf file, where each level was somehow explained by Lara. But never mind, it's great and Sophia was never so... high quality

But I still have a few questions regarding Reunion and some other levels:

1. Why were the mutated bodies from the underwater lab in sleeping in the fishes transferred to france?

2. Why was Lara placing the Hand of Rathmore in this one body in Reunion?

3. We already know that the presence of the Hand is somehow letting occuring interdimensional jumps. But what's the real maning of the spacelike background in Reunion? And was it the meteorite in the sky from which all the five artifacts originally come from (in a much bigger format of course)?

4. And since I don't want to bump other threads, I post this question regarding scotland just here:

So I read somewhere on the forums that there were like three different Nessie Monsters in Highland Fling. One of them was fake (well, that's a fact), the other was real (theory) and the other I don't know, what's up with that? And if we saw fake and real Nessies could someone explain me in which part we so the real and in which part it was the fake one? I remember it being showed three times in the level, the first time practically beginning of the level, where Lara stands on a bridge and sees it in the distance on the lake, the second time it jumps out of the mud (I think I cried of horror), and the third time the jump scare after we get out of the water I think, where it spits flames(?).

5. Sooo... Sophia did steal the Hand of Rathmore from Willard, so far so good. Then she was testing it's powers on various men in her underwater lab and maybe france. Was she doing it with the same goal as in TR3 London to seek the ultimate formula for eternal beauty and life?

Sorry for all those questions, but I really want to understand all the things that are going on.
Interesting questions, LCTRF. Like you, I have a big interest in the Hand of Rathmore and the plot for Lost Artifact. I have played this game many times to make sense of some of this stuff. This is how I see it:

1.) I think the mutated bodies that we see in the cages in "Sleeping with the Fishes" were transported to France to be disposed of. If you notice in various areas of "It's a Madhouse" and "Reunion", there are tons of floating dead bodies and corpses all over the place. There are also men who appear to have their hearts ripped out and attack Lara in Reunion. They were probably test subjects by Sophia and were brainwashed to serve under her. The reason i believe France was her dumping grounds for the bodies because you can also find floating dead bodies in the underwater channels in "All Hallows".

2.) I always thought that this segment was way too bizarre. First Lara has the Hand of Rathmore in her possession and places it into the dead corpse. But in the next level Sophia Leigh has the Hand of Rathmore and you have to fight her to get it back?

3.) I always thought that "Reunion" took place in an actual location, but it was heavily altered by the presence of the Hand of Rathmore. I mean after Lara defeats Sophia, she is out on the beach again as if she was always in the real world. Maybe the Hand of Rathmore did bend reality a little bit in the "Reunion" level, but Lara and Sophia are still fighting in a real location that has been seriously altered by the meteorite artifact.

4.) Chi nailed this one.

5.) It looks like she wanted to manipulate the power source of the artifact in order to gain some sort of power. It looks like she has become a little more Twisted with the Hand of Rathmore too. When she had the Eye of Isis, she mainly disfigured the Damned and cursed them to eternal life with their hideous figures. But with the Hand of Rathmore, she is obviously using the artifact for a greater power. I mean look how a lot of the dead men in the Reunion level have their hearts ripped out. I think immortality is still one of her main drives with the fifth meteorite artifact.
trfan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-15, 13:50   #30
LCTRF

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Chi View Post
Monster real and fake...

Thank you Chi, this seems logical

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR-Freak View Post
Speaking of craziness.

Tony was quite mind****ed when we met him in the jungle.
Maybe the artifacts cause mental illness? Remember that "Reunion" plays between or within different dimensions. The level title "It's a madhouse!" would make much more sense.
Well, it would be interesting and only logical if Lara was getting mad too, after all she was exposed to them as well in some degree, she's carried around all four original artifacts and in the Gold levels she even swims in water which contains the by product of the Hand of Rathmore. So I guess it's quite reasonable why Lara was seeing things like historical trains, ancient dinosaurs, hearing the folklore of the greeding mob from the south pacific tribe and a wonderland version of France. Seriously, the Story from the normal game takes really a step forward with it's gold levels and that without one cutscene to explain something. We just have to find everything ingame and combine it, the loading screens were one of my favourite parts in those levels, they were so intersting to watch and read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trfan16 View Post
Interesting questions, LCTRF. Like you, I have a big interest in the Hand of Rathmore and the plot for Lost Artifact. I have played this game many times to make sense of some of this stuff. This is how I see it:
Like I said above, TLA just completes the original game in so many ways, which should be impossible, since the normal game was already perfect as it was. And being for the first time yourself the one in those crazy bizarre situations, you can relate to Tony so much more and can only imagine, what was going on in his head. Really I like the effects of the meteorite, causing mutations and mental illness is such an interesting thing I think and it's really disturbing when you think how it messes with the whole evolution, like the wasps in antarctica, mutated bodies and faceless newborns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trfan16 View Post
1.) I think the mutated bodies that we see in the cages in "Sleeping with the Fishes" were transported to France to be disposed of. If you notice in various areas of "It's a Madhouse" and "Reunion", there are tons of floating dead bodies and corpses all over the place. There are also men who appear to have their hearts ripped out and attack Lara in Reunion. They were probably test subjects by Sophia and were brainwashed to serve under her. The reason i believe France was her dumping grounds for the bodies because you can also find floating dead bodies in the underwater channels in "All Hallows".
That makes actually sense.

Quote:
2.) I always thought that this segment was way too bizarre. First Lara has the Hand of Rathmore in her possession and places it into the dead corpse. But in the next level Sophia Leigh has the Hand of Rathmore and you have to fight her to get it back?
Well, maybe Lara always imagined, that she always collected the hand, because it was her mission and wish to do it, but the presence of the artifact just messed her head so much up, that she just imagined it, maybe it's some kind of protection from the artifact itself? The possibilities are endless.

Quote:
3.) I always thought that "Reunion" took place in an actual location, but it was heavily altered by the presence of the Hand of Rathmore. I mean after Lara defeats Sophia, she is out on the beach again as if she was always in the real world. Maybe the Hand of Rathmore did bend reality a little bit in the "Reunion" level, but Lara and Sophia are still fighting in a real location that has been seriously altered by the meteorite artifact.
Seems about right, I'll stick with that one.

Quote:
4.) Chi nailed this one.
Honestly he should be the mascot of the classics

Quote:
5.) It looks like she wanted to manipulate the power source of the artifact in order to gain some sort of power. It looks like she has become a little more Twisted with the Hand of Rathmore too. When she had the Eye of Isis, she mainly disfigured the Damned and cursed them to eternal life with their hideous figures. But with the Hand of Rathmore, she is obviously using the artifact for a greater power. I mean look how a lot of the dead men in the Reunion level have their hearts ripped out. I think immortality is still one of her main drives with the fifth meteorite artifact.
I just hope she didn't wanted to create her own immortal race of mutated humans, it would make sense actually, but then it would remind me too much of some atlantean godess *cough*Natla*cough*

Sorry for the late response, I was on vacation for two weeks and totally forgot that I've posted here.

Last edited by LCTRF; 12-08-15 at 13:53.
LCTRF is online now   Reply With Quote