Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor > Software Development

Old 17-05-17, 00:30   #581
psiko

thank you, I missed his update on the OP, I needed to direct a young LD I as helping, to those tutorial and discovered it went closed, so I had to send him to watch my YT videos, which aren't exactly for beginners... especially those who want to rush a bit.
Good thing there's an offline zipped file, I downloaded it thank you
psiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-17, 10:00   #582
Titak

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorXD View Post
Here's an offline version for viewing in case someone needs it

https://www.mediafire.com/?8dl2abzc2eiz0bb
Thank you!!!!

Perhaps I should upload it to our server here and also put a link in the Tools section of INDEX thread in the Tutorials section.
Titak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-17, 15:38   #583
LoreRaider

Thank you Victor, that would be useful for me, I would try to use that great tool for my next level, without tutorials I couldn't do that I think
LoreRaider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-17, 03:15   #584
VictorXD

No problem guys, I'm glad it could useful
VictorXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-17, 18:08   #585
LeelooBastet

Thank you too
LeelooBastet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-18, 12:12   #586
Titak

How come Metasequoia gives me a lower number of vertices than meta2tr does? :confused.

Meta says I have nearly 8000 while meta2tr says I have 8141.
This is kinda annoying because Meta says I'm within the limit, and then meta2tr says the game will crash due to having crossed the limit...

Which should I trust in this case?
Old 06-08-18, 15:53   #587
JMN

A quick test here shows the numbers match between Meta and meta2tr. Even upped the vertices in one room to over 16k.

Dumb question, but are you sure you selected all the vertices in meta and you're looking at the vertex count and not faces?
JMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-18, 19:56   #588
Titak

I've been using "Obj Prop" to check the vertice count of the selected room.
And yes, I have been looking at vertices and not faces. Faces are way more than the vertices due to having quite a bit of double-sided faces on plants.

I'll try selecting the whole thing and then see what amount of vertices it gives me.
Old 07-08-18, 07:52   #589
psiko

Both values are correct.

You have less than 8000 vertices in metasequoia because that's the amont of them once you merged different geometry and welded the vertices to earn some resources.
But meta2tr is importing a higher amont of vertices because tomb4.exe engine cannot handle same vertices with multiple vertex color values.

When you merged that geometry you probably had different vertex colors in them, one for each mesh they belonged, and meta2tr, to keep your illumination is forced to split again those vertices when importing, even if you welded them before.

To avoid this, and have the less amont of vertices, import first your geometry as it is now, even if it gives a higher amont of geometry: it is still compatible and without errors as the limit is 8192 vertices (even if I suggest to not go over 7800 vertices per room, because you could have Lara wrongly lit inside of those rooms, expecially is she performs custom animations).
Then, in your mqo file, save a temporary roomall with that room having all vertices with "pure white" illumination, that is they must have vertex color 255,255,255 as rgb values: this pure white is telling meta2tr to consider those vertices as "not lit" so it will use data stored in the "donotdelete" file to calculate illumination for them.
After you import this new un-lit room, use the "newlevel method", that is, to drag onto meta2tr the newlevel.tr4 file, because this is still compatible with your previous files, as it has same meta-geometry and all the tiles you are using. Then, use from now on, the new roomall.mqo file extracted from newlevel.tr4 file, and that specific room (with less than 8000 vertices) will have still less than 8000 vertices, but the isolated vertices that were going to be split, will be no longer, as meta2tr, thanks to donotdelete file, had calculated an average illumination for those.

This can be done for each room to earn resources/vertices: just weld all vertices in each room, and then color the entire level with pure white, finally use the "newlevel method" to still have a roomall compatible with previous extraction and all your new files.
psiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-18, 09:01   #590
Titak

Quote:
Originally Posted by psiko View Post
vertices with multiple vertex color values.
Does this also happen when you manually light vertices?
Because that's what I have done a lot with plants I imported into the roomgeometry.

Either way, I'll try your suggestion.
Thanks!

*** EDIT ***
Looks like manually lighting the vertices does indeed increase the amount of vertices when converting with meta2tr.
The number of vertices now matched the number I see in Meta.
So now I should see which way of lighting I like better in this case. Because I like the plants to be a bit on the bright side in this level.

Last edited by Titak; 07-08-18 at 09:05.