Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 11-12-16, 03:21   #1
VictorXD

Default Separate combat style when fighting animals

So, one think I believe we are missing in this reboot is ANIMALS! As we all know, wildlife has always been the main enemy Lara has to face in these past 20 years with a few exceptions here and there.

Now the reboot is severely lacking animal enemies as whole, with the variety being few and the combat enconters few and far in between. My main guess for this is because the combat is designed with human enemies in mind. Fighting more than 3 wolves at once for example can be pretty cumbersome in some situations.

So what if when gunning down predators, Lara has a slightly skill set/animations? Like she runs when aiming instead of walking and the crosshair has a bit of aiming assist to compensate for the higher speed of movement. Jumping (not necessarily somersaults) could also be included.

The dodge counter skill could also be made a little harder to unsure tougher fights, etc.

Opinions?

EDITS:could a mod please be kind enough to fix the typo in the title? thanks <3

Last edited by VictorXD; 11-12-16 at 03:22.
VictorXD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-16, 04:41   #2
JuditePrince12

I like the idea of fighting differently but more melee aspects. For instance meleeing animals is useless but if she were to have more rough neck moves it would be perfect. If wolves get closer then she can kick them or throw a stunning punch since it's not like they're extremely strong and she's an able fighter. As for stronger animals and normal enemies, I would like her to dodge and weave but not in slow motion. More fast paced and have a stunning blow or a fast and stronger melee combo.
JuditePrince12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-16, 08:45   #3
Trenton

I agree that the reboot games are seriously lacking in the vicious animal department vs gun wielding mercenaries.
I think that future games should put more emphasis back on animals/creatures/supernatural beings and away from human enemies. And thus I think the whole combat system and moveset should be steered towards that kind of combat and in general more platforming moves.
Trenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-16, 09:35   #4
Phlip
Inactive

I agree that more animal enemies would be a good thing; the bear encounters were some of the best moments in Rise.

The only adjustments to combat that I think would be necessary is to allow for a run-and-gun by just pressing the Fire button with the camera pointed in the general direction of the enemy. (I realise this would have to replace the crafting, though, but I wouldn't mind if crafting was restricted to campsites with bigger results to compensate.) With a run-and-gun, she can semi-auto aim with the penalty being less accuracy, where you would have to weigh up how effective each weapon and at what range could be, for example a shotgun upclose blindfiring would pretty much guarantee a hit, but pistols at medium distance would be only about 50% likely to hit. It would be very guerilla style.

Animal encounters could be more of a one-on-one situation as with more than 2 wolves, it does get too awkward. Restricting it to one-on-one, maximum two would not have to inhibit difficulty, either. If there are to be two enemies present, they could have an identifiable pattern of attack where their stance shows they're gearing up to pounce (your opportunity to shoot), and if you dodge them they run a short distance away to get a run up and gear up again - this is how wolves operated in TR9 and it made workable, fair sense.

Stealthiness, executions and Death From Above could also be applied to animals in the same way that they're applied to humans.
Phlip is offline   Reply With Quote