Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Rise of the Tomb Raider

Old 29-01-17, 16:08   #11
Mikky

But even after the Divine Source gets destroyed, there are Deathless Ones roaming the Lost City post-game... PLOT-HOLE, INCONSISTENT!

But I imagine that's more of a "game technicality" than canon, since they're needed for a trophy and whatnot. As for how they "die" and are reborn, I always knew the process as always I read the documents.
Mikky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-17, 16:09   #12
megabug7

https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/1790...aider/74425745

Some listen
Some read
Some skip them
megabug7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-17, 16:42   #13
ESCachuli

Quote:
Originally Posted by megabug7 View Post
https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/1790...aider/74425745

Some listen
Some read
Some skip them
I normally just read, I even mute the narrator since he reads way slower than me. But this one I missed it. I didnt liked Kitezh much, so I didnt really bothered to explore it.
ESCachuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-17, 18:07   #14
Scilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESCachuli View Post
Thank you so much, now it makes more sense to me. I wish this was shown during the game.
Hey no problem
Scilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-17, 20:15   #15
megabug7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESCachuli View Post
I normally just read, I even mute the narrator since he reads way slower than me. But this one I missed it. I didnt liked Kitezh much, so I didnt really bothered to explore it.
I read/listen to them - they offer a lot of insight especially those in the Geothermal Valley.
megabug7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-17, 22:26   #16
ESCachuli

Quote:
Originally Posted by megabug7 View Post
I read/listen to them - they offer a lot of insight especially those in the Geothermal Valley.
Well, the point is, the inmortality of the deathless is a major plot issue. It's their main advantage, and it is loosely explained (if explained at all) in the main course of the game. It's not something you can leave to an optional file to offer more insight about it. It should be shown during the game. And it should be a gameplay characteristic too. Making them reborn again and again and having to figure out how to stop them would make them less an Stormguard copycat in a bizantine skin.
ESCachuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-17, 22:55   #17
Scilli

To me that question never really occured somehow.
If i make a playtrough i do always my 100% and read everything, do everything find everything and for all i take my sweet time.
But even without all doing that, the story was always about the prophet and the divine source. Those 2 were always connected.
The deathless Ones pretty much suffer under the same fate as the prophet himself, because they are all connected with the divine source that grants them immortal life. Once destroyed, they vanished. You could see that when Lara destroyed the source in the chamber of souls (convincing namegiver isnt it? ) that Jacob not simply died, but vanished.
The beauty in all of this is that Lara first thought that immortality is a beautiful thing, which most people think it is. But once they realize that immortality is a curse they understand that life with an end is the right thing. But Lara had to experience that to come to this realisation.
Scilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-17, 20:35   #18
King Ultra

they arent really "Deathless" but more like "Reincarnated Ones"
King Ultra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-17, 20:53   #19
Zreen001

There was a similar issue with the reboot.

A large number of players either skimmed through or didn't read the various journals scattered throughout Yamatai, and so missed the clues about Trinity and other things that was the entire reason Lara researched her father's notes on Trinity and the Prophet in the first place.

That was only available through journals, no in-game mention except for the rescue plane mentioning they were from the rescue ship Trinity. Other than that no in-game mention except for the optional-to-read-journals.

Doing the same in Rise, I agree that there needed to be more showing- not telling -how the Deathless Ones work. Not just a series of Kitezh journals explaining one survivor's run-ins with the same soldier. If I hadn't read the journals, I too would've thought these were just reskinned Stormguard.
Zreen001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-17, 11:48   #20
Avalon SARL

Thanks for clearing that up;

I wondered about that too; I never bothered even reading most of the documents, so I definitely missed where it says that.

Imagine 10000 deathless soldier you have to fight and they don't die.

That would have been so crazy and stupid.

Maybe trap them then would have mad a possibility for new puzzles.
Avalon SARL is offline   Reply With Quote