Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Anniversary

Old 31-07-14, 19:51   #21
Eddie Haskell

I tried a gamepad once or twice, found them to be inaccurate, slow, and cumbersome. And when I play games and find that the menus are crafted (read slow, tedious and messed up) for gamepads I get aggravated.

But the problem with the later Tomb Raider games (as I see it) has more to do with other things then the control interface. However I never had a problem controlling my avatar due to supposed controller inadequacies, it had more to do with automation in the C&C system...due I'm sure to the problems imposed by the lack of suitable controller functions due to their having to make a system that can be controlled using a console controller.
Eddie Haskell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-14, 20:13   #22
Ward Dragon
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Haskell View Post
I tried a gamepad once or twice, found them to be inaccurate, slow, and cumbersome. And when I play games and find that the menus are crafted (read slow, tedious and messed up) for gamepads I get aggravated.
Some of those are aggravating even with a gamepad. I think by far the most ridiculous is trying to quit Assassin's Creed. First you have to open the menu and tell it to leave the animus, then click to actually stand up (and watch the stupid animation), then bring up the menu and tell it to quit, but that throws you to the main screen where you have to "press any button to begin" and sign back onto your profile before you finally have the option to quit to the desktop Or just press Alt+F4 after leaving the animus, which isn't an option on the console version so it's even worse on consoles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Haskell View Post
But the problem with the later Tomb Raider games (as I see it) has more to do with other things then the control interface. However I never had a problem controlling my avatar due to supposed controller inadequacies, it had more to do with automation in the C&C system...due I'm sure to the problems imposed by the lack of suitable controller functions due to their having to make a system that can be controlled using a console controller.
With a keyboard and mouse, WASD movement is a bit imprecise because it can only register the eight cardinal directions while the mouse is extremely precise. With a gamepad, both sticks are equal so the left side (movement) is more precise than WASD while the right side (camera) is much less precise than the mouse.

Games designed with the gamepad in mind tend to minimize the precision required from the camera (which keyboard/mouse is good at) and instead require 360-degree precision in which direction the character moves relative to the camera (which keyboard/mouse is bad at).

The solution is to put the camera on the character's back like classic TR games so that the keyboard just has to register forward, back, left or right meanwhile the mouse can take care of adjusting "forward" to wherever it needs to be. Or at the very least, the camera should stay where the player put it instead of moving on its own or having fixed angles that can't be adjusted. When the camera does weird things, that's because it's easy to compensate for it with a gamepad and they put no thought into how it would affect keyboard/mouse controls.

Last edited by Ward Dragon; 31-07-14 at 20:14.
Ward Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-14, 20:20   #23
Trenton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Dragon View Post
When the camera does weird things, that's because it's easy to compensate for it with a gamepad and they put no thought into how it would affect keyboard/mouse controls.
They put no thought into it because you're supposed to use a gamepad

#gamepadmasterrace
Trenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-14, 20:25   #24
Ward Dragon
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trenton View Post
They put no thought into it because you're supposed to use a gamepad

#gamepadmasterrace
They put no thought into it because they prioritized looking cool over gameplay so they put a bunch of scripted camera movements and crap like that XD

At least the reboot didn't do that though. I was pleasantly surprised at how well the keyboard/mouse controls worked. It would have been horrible if they botched the platforming like LAU did (thus encouraging people to use a gamepad) meanwhile the game actually does require precision shooting (thus favoring the mouse). But they pretty much let the camera do what I told it so keyboard/mouse was fine all around
Ward Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote