Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Anniversary

Old 28-06-17, 14:17   #6231
Wooxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggctuk View Post

They found out how to achieve near-seamless ground-to-space in Battlefront 2 a couple of years ago, before Battlefront III even leaked. Heck, this method even works in the first game (I've tried it out myself).
That's really impressive! But I doubt that a similar recreation of TRAE in the classic engine would be possible without the source code. I've played a few custom levels that had elements of the beta version of Legend and this kind of gameplay just doesn't work well with the classic tank controls and grid based system.
Wooxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-17, 15:25   #6232
ggctuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooxman View Post
That's really impressive! But I doubt that a similar recreation of TRAE in the classic engine would be possible without the source code. I've played a few custom levels that had elements of the beta version of Legend and this kind of gameplay just doesn't work well with the classic tank controls and grid based system.
True enough. The best you could hope for would be an adaptation into the original engine. So it would essentially play exactly like the old games but with the improved graphics. Maybe a visual update of Daoine Sidhe's TR1 Revised?
ggctuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-17, 16:56   #6233
Wooxman

Well, that would be what I was talking about: Just a reskin without the true vision Core Design had. That's why I'm so interested in Galaxy of Turmoil: It might not be a Star Wars game anymore, but it still would've the intended gameplay and probably map design from SWBF III.

But if the TRAE assets would be implemented into a classic engine game, then I would prefer a HD version of TR I instead of a custom level. TBH I'm not a big fan of TR Revised since it was done at a time when the TRLE didn't have that many features like TR I-III style pushable blocks and a lot of the original gameplay elements don't work like they do in TR I.
Wooxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-18, 14:08   #6234
_Seth

I don't know how much exposure this has gotten, but I stumbled across it just now and definitely haven't seen half the amount of footage from here, namely Caves, some camera angles of the Lost Valley waterfall and the valley itself with the T-rex.

Damn, it makes me yearn for this so much more. It's beyond description how an unfinished PSP game oozes so much atmosphere, moreso than TRA's bland flat beige/grey art style. The rich lighting here, the faithful level design while modernising its look, such as adding stalagmites in Caves, really makes this such a visual feast. There is, oddly, so much more detail compared to TRA. TR1 truly looks brought to life here with Lost Valley's swampy overgrown plants and gorgeous emerald water, and Caves' dingy claustrophobic caverns lit only by shafts of light from above. Remember how good AoD looks maxed out on PC for 2003? Imagine how stunning this game would look if it had been fully finished, maxed out on PC to 2006 standards, and then potentially even further graphically upgraded for a PS3 remastered release?

Last edited by _Seth; 15-03-18 at 14:44.
_Seth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-18, 14:56   #6235
Zebra

Can't remember how much discussion about it there was on here but I've definitely seen it before. It really does look gorgeous. Those icy wind gusts in the caves add so much to the atmosphere!
Zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-18, 21:36   #6236
mind

Any change this will run at 60 fps?
mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-18, 22:01   #6237
Zebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind View Post
Any change this will run at 60 fps?
You mean if it ever gets leaked? I'm not sure but I'd imagine if you can get it to run in a PSP emulator, you'll be able to run it at higher framerates like 60FPS, too, if your PC can handle it. I doubt that Core was designing it to run at 60FPS on original PSP/PS2 hardware, though.
Zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-18, 05:42   #6238
ANoDE
Golden

Each time I see this I wonder how the series would have progressed if this had been released. Would there have been as many sequels? Would they have put off so many fans? Would they have been able to acquire as many new fans? Would the franchise still exist?
ANoDE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-18, 18:03   #6239
Caesum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
you'll be able to run it at higher framerates
I don't think so. The game was still in alpha stage, so I don't think that at that point in production the game was able to run in constant 30fps even on official devkit (which probably had better specs than regular PSP).
I'd say it is even less probable that an unfinished product would run well on an emulator. Released games often have framerate problems even on original hardware, let alone when emulated. I'd go as far as to say the game wouldn't even run on emulators without special treatment from emulator developers.

The game would probably work best on official PSP devkit.
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-19, 13:38   #6240
dcw123

Sorry to bump..

Does anyone have any details on level specific things..

I'm trying to remake TRAE/TR1 Natla's Mines and wondered if there was much info on the level design etc

The level seemed to have two stages during development - the ex Nazi base theme - and another design which matched more closely to TR1's original design.
I have textures and screens from the net and Tomb of Ash's website.

Anyone shed any light on this? Or maybe thats all the info we have
dcw123 is offline   Reply With Quote