www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider II

Old 03-03-17, 00:54   #131
Helegad
Explorer

Because it'd be awesome to have the complete Core-era on a single console? (minus AOD but nobody likes that anyway)
Old 03-03-17, 07:16   #132
ggctuk
Relic Hunter

That last statement... was that the clicking of a mine I heard?

There has been some good work on this. I'd be curious to see how you got around the issues of the wolves and bears given theif AI is not in the stock game (they take the place of the spider enemies in the game).
Old 03-03-17, 19:09   #133
Teeth
Archaeologist

I say go for it! This game is a masterpiece even with compromises. But if there's room, I'm pretty sure the wolves are just re-skinned Dobermans, so the AI should be exactly the same.
Teeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-17, 19:27   #134
ggctuk
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeth View Post
I say go for it! This game is a masterpiece even with compromises. But if there's room, I'm pretty sure the wolves are just re-skinned Dobermans, so the AI should be exactly the same.
Unfortunately it's not the same AI. They wrote new AI for the dobermans in TR2.
Old 04-03-17, 00:28   #135
Teeth
Archaeologist

What I mean is, I'm assuming the wolves in TR2 Gold ARE TR2 dobermans, only they have meshes that make them look like TR1 wolves. I'd be very surprised if it turns out that that's not the case and TR2 Gold is actually coded to have wolves function with their original TR1 AI (especially when dobermans are still in Nightmare in Vegas anyway). They even make the same barking sounds as the dobermans.
Old 04-03-17, 04:12   #136
Sardoc
Archaeologist

The wolves use a small spider slot, and the bear uses a large spider slot, it's just that their AI has been changed in T2GOLD exe. You can tell, because if you use TR2's exe (and not the gold's), the wolves explode like small spiders when killed, and the bear continuously runs into a wall instead of having a death animation.
Sardoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-17, 11:17   #137
Teeth
Archaeologist

Ahh, I see! Nevermind, then.
Old 04-03-17, 16:59   #138
Patrick star
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helegad View Post
Because it'd be awesome to have the complete Core-era on a single console?
Just for that ? is it worth it ?

I mean , I totally appreciate all the efforts of the amazing people behind this , and I really don't want to sound condescending saying the following , but these levels are free and are exclusive to the PC , and I find it VERY hard to believe that there would be some people in the world who own a PS1 but don't own a PC that can run a few levels that date back to the late 90s . Yep , some people don't game on PC but y'know , they can perfectly play them on the PC with a controller , I think they're some of the most easily accessible "exclusives" out there .

It's not like trying to port the Underworld DLCs to the PS3 and PC for example .

Please nobody take any offense , but this has been rolling in my head for days ..
Old 04-03-17, 17:26   #139
b122251
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick star View Post
Just for that ? is it worth it ?
I mean , I totally appreciate all the efforts of the amazing people behind this , and I really don't want to sound condescending saying the following , but these levels are free and are exclusive to the PC , and I find it VERY hard to believe that there would be some people in the world who own a PS1 but don't own a PC that can run a few levels that date back to the late 90s . Yep , some people don't game on PC but y'know , they can perfectly play them on the PC with a controller , I think they're some of the most easily accessible "exclusives" out there...
I think you're missing the point.
Many of this kind of projects are not made for the sake of the final product, but for the sake of making it. I myself have made programs for problems so obscure maybe three people in the world will use it. And I did it not because there's a desperate need for it, but because I enjoyed making it. And although I have nothing to do with this project, and am therefore no authority on it, it seems like a similar effort.

Of course I can't speak for jonathanrij or Gh0stblade, but if I had to guess I'd say their motives for this project are probably rather similar. True, nobody needs this port to play the levels. I mean, even to play this you either need an emulator (which some people don't care for and is slightly harder to install and set up than TR2), a modded ps1 (kinda rare) or a debug ps1 (extremely rare). A copy of windows capable of running TR2 Gold is a lot more common, I admit.

I think the motives for this project aren't along the lines of:"We need to make this so that more people can play TR2 Gold."
I think they're a lot more like:"Wouldn't it be cool to port TR2 Gold to the playstation?"

I think many big, complicated projects by members of the community are not made for the sake of the product, but for the enjoyment of the person making them.

Last edited by b122251; 04-03-17 at 17:38.
b122251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-18, 19:56   #140
Helegad
Explorer

So is this thing officially dead? That's such a shame