Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 19-08-17, 00:34   #1
LarasHotpants

Default Difference between the PS versions of the game (1.0-1.6)?

Just wondering if anyone knows what difference between the PS1 versions of TR were?

I know that the later versions had other game demo's included, but I was wondering if there were any differences in TR itself (such as bugfixes etc)?

There were SIX versions of the game released on PS1, so there must be some kind of differences surely?

Last edited by LarasHotpants; 25-08-17 at 00:51.
LarasHotpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-17, 20:44   #2
alisson

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarasHotpants View Post
Just wondering if anyone knows what difference between the PS1 versions of TR were?

I know that the later versions had other game demo's included, but I was wondering if there were any differences in TR itself (such as bugfixes etc)?

There were SIX versions of the game released on PS1, so there must be some kind of differences surely?
Good question, I also wanted to know. But I think that's what you mentioned, just added the demos

Initializing each one and considering version 1.0 as the first official ....
1.1 added the Eidos logo at the beginning;
1.2 - 1.6 added several demos;

I think the game remains the same, I do not know.
alisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-17, 06:16   #3
D4N

Are the PSX executables different in size, checksum?

Maybe @b122251 or @Gh0stBlade would know?
D4N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-17, 06:28   #4
Phlip
Inactive

I know the PAL version is 17% slower in gameplay and the NTSC-U version has some difficulty changes (to make it easier) and slightly different geometry in some places.
Phlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-17, 13:54   #5
dcw123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlip View Post
I know the PAL version is 17% slower in gameplay and the NTSC-U version has some difficulty changes (to make it easier) and slightly different geometry in some places.
I always remember my version of TR1 being really slow too.
TR2 onwards was fine.
I recently played the NTSC U version of TR1 and it felt so much better.

Never realised they'd made it easier though or changed room geometry
Any examples?
dcw123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-17, 11:03   #6
Phlip
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcw123 View Post
Any examples?

This is all I remember.
Phlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-17, 08:50   #7
Helegad

You meant the J version, not U.

I purchased Tomb Raider 3 PSX JP version and it has about double the pickups, an infinite save crystal in your inventory, Japanese text and speech, and enemies have half the health. The crystals function as a 100% health boost, and there are more of them, in line with the other pickups. There are minor changes to the maps, making puzzle solutions and hidden areas slightly more obvious, but not actually easier to complete/get into.

Not sure if there's any bug-fixes per se. If anything there's a couple more because of the map changes. For example, the second tiger in Jungle does not jump out and attack you because it's stuck behind a brick wall with a big opening that has replaced the ferns. Once you go in that little area with the shells, it comes at you, but it spawns at the same time it does in the EU version.

I enjoy playing the JP version, it's like an arrange mode. More to find. It's not like I ever really ran out of medipacks and ammo in the EU version anyway so I like the endless collectibles.

Last edited by Helegad; 23-09-17 at 08:55.
Helegad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-17, 14:13   #8
TempleOfHorus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helegad View Post
You meant the J version, not U.

I purchased Tomb Raider 3 PSX JP version and it has about double the pickups, an infinite save crystal in your inventory, Japanese text and speech, and enemies have half the health. The crystals function as a 100% health boost, and there are more of them, in line with the other pickups. There are minor changes to the maps, making puzzle solutions and hidden areas slightly more obvious, but not actually easier to complete/get into.

Not sure if there's any bug-fixes per se. If anything there's a couple more because of the map changes. For example, the second tiger in Jungle does not jump out and attack you because it's stuck behind a brick wall with a big opening that has replaced the ferns. Once you go in that little area with the shells, it comes at you, but it spawns at the same time it does in the EU version.

I enjoy playing the JP version, it's like an arrange mode. More to find. It's not like I ever really ran out of medipacks and ammo in the EU version anyway so I like the endless collectibles.
Enemies in TR3 JP have same health like enemies in International version (only Tony has double health (200 HP) in TR3 JP instead 100 HP). But Lara weapons have double damage + there are few bug fixes (but also there are few new bugs)
TempleOfHorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-17, 20:11   #9
Raidalot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlip View Post

This is all I remember.
That swan dive into the spikes at the end of the video would have changed some of Lara's geometry.
Raidalot is offline   Reply With Quote