Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 01-09-17, 22:55   #21
Raidalot

Running behind the Centaurs and shooting them in the butt is kinda funny.

Centaurs are good targets for testing weapons damage:
Raidalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-17, 23:38   #22
Blue_light

Quote:
Originally Posted by annl View Post
I used to be terrified of the mutants too, I used to mute my tv when I got to them.
In City of Khamoon after you cross the panther pit, and go through a narrow corridor to find a mummy, I was expecting it because of the walkthrough, but I still literally changed channel until I walked enough to face it, because I didn't want it to come out of nowhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxyyyy View Post
Did anyone else used to jump whenever an enemy would come out of nowhere?
I was scared to even move, because of them. All of them. Every encounter was a harsh stop in my heart. I once even asked my mom to watch me play the game, so I could have some company. I didn't realize that I was going in circles in the first area of City of Vilcabamba. :|
Blue_light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-17, 02:59   #23
Kirishima

I never really fought both of them, just the one. I'm not surprised lots of people didn't know the other one was fight-able simply because what's the point. You're already in the building it's supposed to be guarding, a little late to be waking up after. Also, I've encountered a bug in the pc version that if you save after killing Pierre and reload, you can't leave the building. The game will crash, at least in the dos version. So there's also that preventing anyone from trying.

Last edited by Kirishima; 02-09-17 at 03:00.
Kirishima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-17, 17:40   #24
LarasHotpants

I also just did the side-to-side jumping method. You can easily take it out with just the pistols and not taking a single hit.

I know you can just run past, but that's just cheap.

Edit: I didn't know you could fight the other one until this thread! Although it seems kinda pointless. (Nice to find out something new though).

Last edited by LarasHotpants; 04-09-17 at 01:04.
LarasHotpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-17, 17:56   #25
Alex Fly
Inactive

Always avoided them here.
Alex Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-17, 10:36   #26
Waxyyyy

I thought the other one woke up after you went near it or you killed the other? I didn't think it was just the one. Then again I am the guy that constantly ran away from them as a kid.
Waxyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-17, 13:54   #27
Lara_Fan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmoor View Post
I ran past them too. I don't know if I'm alone in this but the centaurs in TR1 (all of them, not just the 2 before Pierre) used to scare me.
Wasn't just the centaurs for me, it was the 'exploding monkeys' as I used to call them when I was a child. It was their moans they made and the scream when they jump at you.
Lara_Fan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-17, 18:06   #28
Blackmoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara_Fan1 View Post
Wasn't just the centaurs for me, it was the 'exploding monkeys' as I used to call them when I was a child. It was their moans they made and the scream when they jump at you.
Do you mean the mummies? Yeah, they terrified me too leaping everywhere around you making that awful screeching racket.

Amazing how evocative things were despite the simplistic (compared to today) graphics. Or maybe that added to it somehow. It all felt very real and unnerving.
Blackmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-17, 01:07   #29
Lara Coft Baby

It's been so long since I've played the original tomb raider that I barely even remember this part of the level. I am going to say I fought through them because I remembered it enough to recognize it in TR anniversary. It was so much harder int tra then it was in tr1. I do need to go back and replay this game. I miss it so much.
Lara Coft Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-17, 05:02   #30
Quebsenuef

I remember fighting the Centaurs that burst through the statues. I thought it was terrifying as a kid! I thought I had to fight the one or else he was gonna kill me. Side to side jumping and shooting and then he explodes. Freaked me OUT!

I too share many fears of the mummies/mutants in TR1. I remember being really little watching my mom play the game and that one part with the mummy on the stairs in Obelisk of Kahmoon. She climbed up and was looking down in the pit instead up the stairs. The mummy jumps behind her and I screamed and burst into tears bc it frightened me so bad
Even now at the age of 25 I'm still pretty fearful of the mummies even though I know where they are. The one after the winding hallway in City of Kahmoon ALWAYS scares me when he shrieks and jumps at you... Terrifying!
Quebsenuef is offline   Reply With Quote