www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider Comics

Old 12-07-18, 22:12   #1331
AntRaidsTombs
Professor

They answered the question either in a Q&A somewhere here in the forums or in a video. I can’t remember but I know they said she was 23
Old 13-07-18, 20:52   #1332
VictorXD
Relic Hunter

People really shouldn't try to justify the reboot timeline. CD said themselves even before TR2013 that they wanted a floating timeline that is set 'in modern days' and doesn't happen at a specific year. The only reason we have some sort of dates for some stuff (Mathias' journals, Richard's tombstone, etc) is so we have an idea how much time has passed between events, without necessarily being "set" at that time.

CD have done this because they didn't want to end with the same problem the classics did (Core Lara would be 50 this year!) and have explicitly said so. Sure they could make a bit of an effort to add consistency, but that has never been their strong suit, so if I were you I would just ignore any plotholes.

As for the issue at hand: it was probably the best in the reboot era. I really really loved it, the art, the story, the different POV, everything. Nadija is pretty much an anti Lara that is a very welcome addition to the story. I would love to see her in Shadow, she is one of the few antagonists that is an equal rival to Lara in the entire franchise, there is lots of potential with her. She is also very charismatic, which is a plus.

My only problem with this issue is that Lara is acting pretty much the opposite of how she should/would. She is incredibly sceptical about everything, like even though an issue ago she was fascinated by how multiple civilizations were a part of this place, on this one she acts like Nadija is insulting her intelligence because she said the Thai visited this place in the 14th century, despite being surrounded by hard evidence, she doesn't believe Nadija. Like (????????????)

I liked how she also talked about Ana, and even sympathizes with her. It felt like an interesting development. I also liked that Lara actually swolled the bark, it is an interesting choice and shows a different side to the character.
Old 13-07-18, 21:37   #1333
Portugalraider
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorXD View Post
People really shouldn't try to justify the reboot timeline. CD said themselves even before TR2013 that they wanted a floating timeline that is set 'in modern days' and doesn't happen at a specific year. The only reason we have some sort of dates for some stuff (Mathias' journals, Richard's tombstone, etc) is so we have an idea how much time has passed between events, without necessarily being "set" at that time.

CD have done this because they didn't want to end with the same problem the classics did (Core Lara would be 50 this year!) and have explicitly said so. Sure they could make a bit of an effort to add consistency, but that has never been their strong suit, so if I were you I would just ignore any plotholes.
And this is exactly why the whole dates really frustrate me. I remember CD saying that they wanted a vague timeline. But then they let this sort of stuff pass by. They could have simply not put a date on the newspaper on RotTR, and told the comic writers to change "2017" for "One year ago" or "A few months ago". While they are much more relaxed with the stories the comics tell, CD does supervise the scripts. The current writers did confirm it, telling that CD would give them notes and suggestions when they thought Lara wasn't acting like she would in each situation. They could tell the writers to make the timeline a bit more vague as well.
Old 14-07-18, 17:55   #1334
plastiboi
Historian

I don’t want to spoil the comics, but I think I know how Lara gets her premonition
Old 16-07-18, 18:38   #1335
JuditePrince12
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastiboi View Post
I don’t want to spoil the comics, but I think I know how Lara gets her premonition
Spoil away
Old 19-07-18, 07:35   #1336
OrangeFr3ak
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugalraider View Post
They said that +/- one year has passed between each reboot game, so SotTR is actually set in 2015 (which if reboot Lara was born in 1992, would make her 23 years old in that game).

But of course, that newspaper in RotTR says that game is set in 2015, and Inferno #002 says Nadija discovered the temple in 2017. Yet according to the developers that can't be the case, because of the 1-year between each game and Lara being 23 in SotTR, but the newspaper setting RotTR in 2015 and Inferno being set in either 2017 or 2018 and leading to SotTR says otherwise, and this is just a unneeded mess of a chronology.

The only thing in concrete that we have is that reboot chronology is:
  • Tomb Raider: The beginning
  • Tomb Raider
  • Ten Thousand Immortals
  • Season of the Witch
  • Secrets and Lies
  • Queen of Serpents
  • Rise of the Tomb Raider
  • Spore
  • Choice and Sacrifice
  • Survivor's Cruzade
  • Inferno
  • Path to the Apocalipse
  • Shadow of the Tomb Raider
So reboot Lara is still born in 1992? That’ll make her 26 in 2018.
OrangeFr3ak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-18, 08:03   #1337
AntRaidsTombs
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeFr3ak View Post
Yeah she’s 26 in real-time, but I guess she’s 23 in Shadow time.
Old 19-07-18, 08:50   #1338
Ellioft
Archaeologist

You forget in Survivor Crusade she take almost one year without aventures.

So it's 2013 :

The Beginning
Tomb Raider
Ten Thousand Immortals
Season of the Witch
Secret and Lies
Queen of Serpents

2014 end of the year

Rise
Spore
Choice and Sacrifice

Survivor Crusade (start in Winter finish in Winter)
Inferno
Path of the Apocalypse
Shadow (Day of the dead October 31)

Annnnnd that doesn't make any sence

Last edited by Ellioft; 19-07-18 at 08:58.
Ellioft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-18, 09:07   #1339
Portugalraider
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeFr3ak View Post
Still feels somewhat weird every time I remember Lara is now just 2 months older than me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellioft View Post
You forget in Survivor Crusade she take almost one year without aventures.

So it's 2013 :

The Beginning
Tomb Raider
Ten Thousand Immortals
Season of the Witch
Secret and Lies
Queen of Serpents

2014 end of the year

Rise
Spore
Choice and Sacrifice

Survivor Crusade (start in Winter finish in Winter)
Inferno
Path of the Apocalypse
Shadow (Day of the dead October 31)

Annnnnd that doesn't make any sence
Queen of Serpents can be in both 2013 or 2014 and it could still work, though. And the first part of survivors crusade would have to be on 2014.

But the timeline starting or survivors crusade simply can't work.

Seriously, it is a shame, because if they kept thinks vague, there would be no reason to question the timeline

Last edited by Portugalraider; 19-07-18 at 09:13.
Portugalraider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-18, 10:23   #1340
Ellioft
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugalraider View Post
Still feels somewhat weird every time I remember Lara is now just 2 months older than me

Queen of Serpents can be in both 2013 or 2014 and it could still work, though. And the first part of survivors crusade would have to be on 2014.

But the timeline starting or survivors crusade simply can't work.

Seriously, it is a shame, because if they kept thinks vague, there would be no reason to question the timeline
Or what we can do is don't care about her age and saying the game start in 2017. 😝