Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Legend

Old 15-11-17, 01:09   #1
Kapu

Question Your favorite/least favorite level, and why

These kinds of threads are always fun, so let's give it a go. Simply said, what is your favorite level, least favorite level, and why?

Level listing, in case you've forgotten:

Level 1: Bolivia
Level 2: Peru
Level 3: Japan
Level 4: Ghana (West Africa)
Level 5: Kazakhstan
Level 6: England
Level 7: Nepal
Level 8: Bolivia Redux

------------

My personal favorite would be Level 2, Peru. The many different parts make it unique; the town, the (infamous) bike ride, the dig flashback, the dig in present day, going to the bottom of the tomb, coming back up to the top - it's still pretty short overall (as are most of the levels), but the scope is large!

The locations and atmosphere are great, and I love the music in this level. The bike ride may be mediocre at best, but the tune that accompanies it is both bad ass and beautiful. Speaking of bad ass, I love this moment in particular:

Great action, great music, Lara escaping death as usual.

My least favorite would probably be Level 3, Japan. There's nothing bad about it, really, but I'm always wishing it was over as soon as it's begun. I guess I find it boring, although it does have its moments. Like the completely unnecessary but silly fun bike ride, and the boss fight with Takamoto is fun (but way too easy).

I know there have been other "favorite level" threads in the past, but the most recent one I could find was from 2012. After 5 years, I think enough time has passed to open a new one.
Kapu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-17, 14:28   #2
NoahCrofRaider

Favorite: Level 5, Kazakhstan. This level I constantly enjoy playing though. I particularly enjoy using the stealth element at the beginning, even if it usually fails.

Least Favorite: Level 6, England. There's something about this one that really turns me off. It is adequately fun, but it just felt kind of, uninspired, I guess?
NoahCrofRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-17, 07:10   #3
HarleyCroft

My favourite is King Arthur's Tomb in England for sure! The music, lighting and general atmosphere is calming and mysterious when Lara first enters, with the rain making it so much better.

The traps/puzzles are stabbing spikes, shooting flames, spinning blades, floating down a flooded crypt on a coffin, a paranoia-inducing swim and a locked mausoleum. All of those are a piece of cake for your average adventurer archeologist as skilled as Lara.

The cutscene when she respects and apologizes to Arthur Pendragon before taking his piece of Excalibur is so nice to watch.. until the guys on the other headset are in danger and we have to haul ass out.

The rest is kind of a blur of ascending while killing mooks and sea creatures, but the whole trip is so satisfying!

When I replay this level I usually chose Goth- Leather Jacket which really suits the mood. The only snag is she appears to have no teeth and her blue-coloured eyes arent programmed to focus on her surroundings in cutscenes, instead looking straight ahead

My least favourite is unquestionably Bolivia Redux. What a lazy grand finale.
("Where! Is! My! Mother!" makes it a little better But for a boss battle area.. eh )
HarleyCroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-17, 11:50   #4
Yeauxleaux

Choosing a favourite is kind of hard, I'd say I have 2

Favourite

Ghana - I love the visuals and atmosphere in this level, I think with all the greenery it's like a throwback to TR3's India levels. I love the traps, diving off the cliff (even though she's never survive that in reality haha), the slightly reduced combat for the level and that water wheel segment. I also love that Legend took Lara to Sub-Saharan Africa, which is a region she hardly ever visits.

England - This is what TR should be to me. Dark, slightly creepy, less combat and more exploration/puzzles. It's still a little too linear for my tastes, but they nailed the atmosphere and traps. So gothic I love it.

Least favourite

Probably Kazakhstan - I think the environments in this level just look flat, it drags on and not in a good way, it gets tedious to me. I hate the bike segments in Legend too, personally.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-17, 12:44   #5
Nerd Brain

I totally agree with you, @Yeauxleaux.

One of my favourite levels is Ghana because the scenery is so beautiful and well made. It reminds me of the Temple Ruins from Tomb Raider 3.

Another level that is very high on the list is Kazakhstan. What I really like about this level is maneuvering the Tesla-core to its destination. Also the opportunity to fight with the Tesla-cannon is a very nice idea.

I don't have a least favourite level. I think all of them have their own qualities concerning atmosphere, scenery, ideas of combat, etc.
Nerd Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-17, 17:50   #6
Patrick star

Favorite level : England . it's one of the best levels in the franchise imo . The concept of it is very captivating and Lara was literally and purely raiding a tomb here . From the derelict museum to the breaking into the ruins underneath , to the haunting and atmospheric underground dungeons and catacombs , the tomb itself , the easy yet clever boss battle , it's just so interesting . The gameplay is fun too , it's still easy and linear , but that's Legend we're talking about so...the traps were very well-done though .

Least Favorite : Kazakhastan I guess . Solely for the dreadful and tedious bike section .
Patrick star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-17, 19:13   #7
Kapu

I love reading these reactions and seeing how one person's favorite level is another person's least favorite.

In respect to Kazakhstan and England, I like both of them. I love the atmosphere and mood of both, but the opening section in England is kind of tedious to me. Likewise the bike sequence in Kazakhstan is too long and not very fun. In England, the real fun for me doesn't start until Lara reaches the actual tomb. Shout out to that forklift, though.

Last edited by Kapu; 18-11-17 at 19:15.
Kapu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-17, 22:21   #8
NoahCrofRaider

I do agree with people hating the Kazakhstan bike ride, I nearly DETEST that part of the level. Peru was, in that particular aspect, a ton of fun.
NoahCrofRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-17, 11:42   #9
Grimaldi

I would probably say Nepal is my favourite. It feels like it has the least combat so there's more space for that lonely, cold atmosphere to breathe, and the music is eerily beautiful. I love the temple with the block puzzle, too. TR2 vibes.

Least favourites are probably Peru, for that awful village and bike section at the start, and Ghana. I thought all the shootouts killed that "I was here first" feeling, but other than that I'm not sure why. It might be because the temple doesn't really have a story, unlike the tombs in England and Peru?

Weirdly, I really like Kazakhstan past the bike section. Finding documents from dead scientists, the mysterious project, Amanda's reappearance - there's a lot of intrigue.
Grimaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-17, 14:30   #10
Sir Launcelot

I would say Ghana. I always associated Lara with raiding tombs in jungles, or else Egypt, and there is no Egypt in legend.

You start with a jump from a huge waterfall, have a nice mercenary battle, then some good puzzling, then some traps, a good climb, then more shooting, then a battle with your nemesis - I mean, what's not to like? It's all classic.

Basically it's the high point - except at the end, after that she is in temperate or cold places for the rest of the game. I was really expecting more of the Ghana type play after I finished that level.

Legend was just so short.

Last edited by Sir Launcelot; 20-11-17 at 14:33.
Sir Launcelot is offline   Reply With Quote