Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider II

Old 18-02-13, 12:23   #31
Seth94

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatToastyBass View Post
Each to their own. Other than the gripes with the enemies, I couldn't disagree more with this post.
As a section I think it's pretty decent, but I think the Tibetan and China sections are a lot better, both gameplay-wise and location-wise. Plus they look a lot more interesting. It wasn't fun to stare at blue cave textures for four straight levels in a row; I just think it needed more variety.
Seth94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-13, 13:41   #32
sheepman23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth94 View Post
It wasn't fun to stare at blue cave textures for four straight levels in a row; I just think it needed more variety.
The only level that has a lot of blue caves is The Deck... the others are mostly inside the ship.
sheepman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-13, 19:48   #33
Mytly

Quote:
Meh, I don't get all the fuss over the Maria Doria levels. They aren't very much fun tbh. Wreck of the Maria Doria is ok but by the time you reach the Deck nothing changes - same boring enemies, same textures, (albeit a few more), same layout pretty much.

The Tibetan levels are a great example of showing how to make levels look different in the same location.
Quote:
As a section I think it's pretty decent, but I think the Tibetan and China sections are a lot better, both gameplay-wise and location-wise. Plus they look a lot more interesting. It wasn't fun to stare at blue cave textures for four straight levels in a row; I just think it needed more variety.
I agree 100%. I really don't get why the Maria Doria gets the love that it does. The atmosphere is good, but beyond that, it's just meh for me. The visual sameness of all the levels, and the overdose of blue textures is a huge turn-off for me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepman23 View Post
The only level that has a lot of blue caves is The Deck... the others are mostly inside the ship.
The interior of the ship is mostly blue too, except for a few reddish metal textures. It gets depressing looking at all blue environments for 4 levels at a stretch.
Mytly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-13, 20:56   #34
Girafarig32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mytly View Post
I agree 100%. I really don't get why the Maria Doria gets the love that it does. The atmosphere is good, but beyond that, it's just meh for me. The visual sameness of all the levels, and the overdose of blue textures is a huge turn-off for me too. The interior of the ship is mostly blue too, except for a few reddish metal textures. It gets depressing looking at all blue environments for 4 levels at a stretch.
Yes the environments are repetitive and I have a special place of dislike for the ugly rust texture. The levels were... fair. On a good day. The puzzles were a bit annoying, in my opinion when replaying the game.

Anyways, what I am saying is I couldn't agree more.
Girafarig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-13, 21:30   #35
rr_carroll
Bug Scientist

While I find the frequent background of clanks and thuds atmospherically creepy, I can understand feeling they just add to the depression.

Last edited by rr_carroll; 19-02-13 at 12:38. Reason: atmosphereically
rr_carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-13, 22:19   #36
ThatToastyBass
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girafarig32 View Post
Yes the environments are repetitive and I have a special place of dislike for the ugly rust texture. The levels were... fair. On a good day. The puzzles were a bit annoying, in my opinion when replaying the game.

Anyways, what I am saying is I couldn't agree more.
FFS you sound like you are describing 3 months in the gulag - if you don't see the WotMD levels as a high point then fine, fair enough - but I think personally you are overdoing it on the criticism.

Criticising the color palette and textures (especially 14 years on) seems quite superficial and pointless. I can't really see how the puzzles are any worse than other levels either. And to those bemoaning the underwater/WotMD levels not being as good as the Tibet/China scenes - the latter are possibly the best levels in the entire classic series so of course WotMD won't compare!

I think the WotMD and associated levels are atmospheric, well though-out, tense and set within huge expanses that beg to be explored. And as OP stated, WotMD makes for a fantastic 'tomb' - certainly craps all over Venice.

I have to say this thread reminds me a lot of the 'Cistern hate' thread in the TR1 forum - I wonder if those who despise Cistern also dislike WotMD?
ThatToastyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-13, 21:29   #37
Mytly

Quote:
FFS you sound like you are describing 3 months in the gulag - if you don't see the WotMD levels as a high point then fine, fair enough - but I think personally you are overdoing it on the criticism.
And I think you're overdoing it with your criticism. Other people are criticizing a game, whereas you're criticizing them. Don't make it so personal.

Quote:
Criticising the color palette and textures (especially 14 years on) seems quite superficial and pointless.
Why is it superficial and pointless? People are simply stating why they did not like these levels. They may not have liked them for the same reason 14 years ago as well. It has nothing to do with the overall quality of the graphics, but a particular aesthetic that does not appeal to certain people.
Mytly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-13, 00:23   #38
Girafarig32

Quote:

Criticising the color palette and textures (especially 14 years on) seems quite superficial and pointless. I can't really see how the puzzles are any worse than other levels either. And to those bemoaning the underwater/WotMD levels not being as good as the Tibet/China scenes - the latter are possibly the best levels in the entire classic series so of course WotMD won't compare!

I think the WotMD and associated levels are atmospheric, well though-out, tense and set within huge expanses that beg to be explored. And as OP stated, WotMD makes for a fantastic 'tomb' - certainly craps all over Venice.

I have to say this thread reminds me a lot of the 'Cistern hate' thread in the TR1 forum - I wonder if those who despise Cistern also dislike WotMD?
Woah! Calm your hot pockets man!

Okay, so I might have been a very slight bit melodramatic, but it's not like it's the end of life itself. It was just my opinion. To be honest, if you would have asked me if I thought the textures were somewhat unsightly 10 years ago, I would have told you the same thing. I took in account the game's date when I made my statement, believe me.

The texture scheme in Tibet was a little easier on my eyes and I had more fun not to mention I liked the atmosphere, puzzles, and baddies better (especially the monks in B. Monastery where you could choose for their help or battle them upping the difficulty).

Bringing up The Cistern is a bit off topic, but here goes. I personally liked the cistern because the graphics were fair and the level was challenging (a bit unrealistic in reality for the level setup, but TR has never promised complete and utter realism). And even if the graphics were clashing all that much, the texture scheme for those levels only lasted for 2 levels as opposed to 4 (TR2).

Well I am glad you enjoyed the levels more than I did. I wasn't trying to spark anything, you know.

Last edited by Girafarig32; 20-02-13 at 00:27.
Old 20-02-13, 00:45   #39
ThatToastyBass
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girafarig32 View Post
Bringing up The Cistern is a bit off topic, but here goes. I personally liked the cistern because the graphics were fair and the level was challenging (a bit unrealistic in reality for the level setup, but TR has never promised complete and utter realism). And even if the graphics were clashing all that much, the texture scheme for those levels only lasted for 2 levels as opposed to 4 (TR2).
Interesting because as much as I love the Cistern and subsequent level, the one (fair) criticism is the eye-unfriendly textures in parts; worse in my opinion than the TR2 levels in question. I was keen to know if people just blanket-hated underwater themed levels, or if repulsion only extended to WotMD - seems to be the latter.
ThatToastyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-13, 00:50   #40
Girafarig32

It was most definitely not the water that made it unappealing to me. I liked the water, and I thought there was very little of it (putting aside 40 Fathoms) in the ocean levels.

A bit more smoother graphics:

Last edited by Girafarig32; 20-02-13 at 00:54.