www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider Motion Pictures

Old 16-05-18, 18:11   #12081
foodfather
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Rutland View Post
It captures those elements because it's not afraid to be gory as hell and brutal. The film was very watered down in that regard to fit a 12A rating which IMO held the film back a lot from being as hard hitting as it could have been. I was aching to see Alicia's Lara covered in blood. That would have been such a drastic departure from the AJ films and shocked the audience.
General audiences would have no idea that the new games are "bloody" and even still, you mainly see the gore if you die a lot...

Nobody wants to watch gory movies anymore. People see films like Logan and Deadpool for the characters / humor not necessarily bloody gore.

Point is, a hard r rated female action film will never sell. Last time it happened was Kill Bill I think.
foodfather is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-18, 18:24   #12082
GeekOfComedy
Archaeologist

These are apparently the running times for the special features.

Quote:
- Tomb Raider: Uncovered (7:00)
- Croft Training (10:00)
- Breaking Down the Rapids (10:00)
- Lara Croft: Evolution of an Icon (10:00)
Saw this on a Blu-ray fan forum / https://www.facebook.com/hncWarner/p...type=3&theater

Last edited by GeekOfComedy; 16-05-18 at 18:31.
GeekOfComedy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-18, 03:11   #12083
SoraSakai
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodfather View Post
General audiences would have no idea that the new games are "bloody" and even still, you mainly see the gore if you die a lot...

Nobody wants to watch gory movies anymore. People see films like Logan and Deadpool for the characters / humor not necessarily bloody gore.

Point is, a hard r rated female action film will never sell. Last time it happened was Kill Bill I think.
Examples of hard r rated female action films that haven't sold please.

Or are you just presenting your opinion as fact with nothing to back it up?
SoraSakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-18, 04:25   #12084
**LARA LOVER**
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekOfComedy View Post
These are apparently the running times for the special features.

Saw this on a Blu-ray fan forum / https://www.facebook.com/hncWarner/p...type=3&theater
Thanks for posting! That sounds decent right? Still bummed there won’t be deleted scenes though
Old 17-05-18, 04:28   #12085
BigR4444
Gold Contributor

I think Tomb Raider would really have benefitted from an R rating. Its not just about gore for the sake of gore.

What made Logan so great was that you finally got to see that charachter unfiltered. It wasnt just cursing and gore for no reason; it felt like the real portrayal of that charachter, rather than the watered down version for sensitive moviegoers

Sometimes its refreshing to see a charachter unfiltered...
when we get hurt or angry in real life, we drop f bombs.. in a way its almost MORE realistic to see this in a movie.

I was hoping they would go the R rated route with TR.. but im not surprised they didnt...
Shame... recently, movies like Logan and deadpool that have taken that risk have seen it pay off... Would have been nice to see TR go for it

Last edited by BigR4444; 17-05-18 at 04:29.
BigR4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-18, 09:16   #12086
AimlessThunder
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodfather View Post

You are obviously delusional. Logan for its humor?
This movie should have been a bit more gory. They should have at least have her be bloody, not just dusty. No headshots, no blood, no cursing. Well the word that starts with a is used a few times and two times she says the f word, but it's cut to action before she finishes saying it.

You can have a strong female character in a more realistic movie be successful. It's all about marketing..

People who are not even fans of franchise would turn to the cinema if this movie franchise was marketed more as a serious movie franchise instead of a video game adaptation on the big screen. The fans already know about the movie, but the average movie goer might be turned off by the idea of watching a movie based on a video game.
Old 17-05-18, 09:29   #12087
Tonyrobinson
Tomb Raider

I feel like making this R rated would have worked out worse box office wise for the films budget. If they set a $30,000,000 budget with a higher age rating and better marketing this could have been a hit.

Ultimately I don't think we will see a sequel anytime soon to be honest, MGM has issued their latest financial report and they are down significantly in theatrical financial revenue, this film didn't do well enough domestically to warrant another one atleast not from a studio like MGM or Warner Bros. Our best hope is that an overseas studio picks up the film rights and greenlights a sequel with a tighter budget and better marketing. It could also mean a soft reboot again and a recast for Lara (think Agent 47/The Incredible Hulk) my hope is that they focus on the international earnings and MGM sell the franchise to a foreign investor.
Old 17-05-18, 09:32   #12088
AimlessThunder
Professor

I also have my doubts about Alicia returning.

Speaking of Alicia:

Her hair is giving me life!

Last edited by AimlessThunder; 17-05-18 at 09:36.
AimlessThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-18, 09:48   #12089
Tonyrobinson
Tomb Raider

I feel like she would like to do it again if she was offered but the studio may opt for a cheaper actress.
Old 17-05-18, 10:08   #12090
AimlessThunder
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyrobinson View Post
I feel like she would like to do it again if she was offered but the studio may opt for a cheaper actress.
Well she did not get a huge some of money for the first one either, but since the budget is going to be lot smaller, I could see them going for a cheaper actress. Honestly if they can't get another movie with Alicia they should drop the idea of a new movie altogether.