Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 12-02-13, 09:05   #1
croft-girl-fan

Default Tomb Raider Minimates

Don't believe this has been posted yet. Looks kinda silly if you ask me.

Quote:
At Toy Fair, Diamond Select Toys showed off six new Tomb Raider Minimate figures, based on the upcoming reboot. The Minimates, which look like Lego figures with more points of articulation, are slated to hit shelves this summer, as two-packs sold in comic and specialty stores.

The six figures shown include: a basic Lara Croft, a Lara Croft with battle damage, Captain Conrad Roth (Lara's mentor), two enemy scavengers and a figure who appeared to look like a priest. Diamond Select wasn't at liberty to share the names of the characters but suggested that the figure with the hood was a type of priest.

The Art Asylum-designed figures excellent details, right down to Captain Conrad's chiseled eyebrows and five o'clock shadow. Each figure comes with accessories. The basic Lara Croft has a more generic hatchet, while the battle damaged, mud soaked Lara Croft has the stylized hatchet we've seen from Tomb Raider concept art. The Molotov cocktail scavenger comes with just that – a Molotov cocktail. The second scavenger had a shield and an iron mask. The designs are still pending licensor approval.
croft-girl-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-13, 09:20   #2
TRJTA

They are very well designed for Lego-like figures
TRJTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-13, 09:32   #3
croft-girl-fan

I will agree to that. The hair is surprisingly detailed for such a small-scale figure. Some more shots:

Source: http://www.joystiq.com/screenshots/t...r-minimates#/0

Last edited by croft-girl-fan; 12-02-13 at 09:34.
croft-girl-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-13, 09:46   #4
shockwave_pulsar00

If I bought these I'd then have to go and buy the Uncharted Nate and Chloe pack......and make them fight!
shockwave_pulsar00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-13, 09:47   #5
thebelljarkid

I want the Lara ones! They look pretty cool.
thebelljarkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-13, 10:37   #6
Weemanply109
Inactive

Getting 'twoface' vibes from this one. CD just can't help with the Batman influences, huh?
Weemanply109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-13, 11:33   #7
Phlip
Inactive

...So, they reboot the franchise to be darker, grittier, more mature and for the first time 18-rated, but they make the most childish of Lego toys based on the characters? What the actual?
Phlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-13, 12:32   #8
Dustie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlip View Post
...So, they reboot the franchise to be darker, grittier, more mature and for the first time 18-rated, but they make the most childish of Lego toys based on the characters? What the actual?
They're not "Lego toys"? How were the Lara figurines that much more adult than this, huh? And it makes perfect sense if they want commercial performance from the title to introduce merchandise such as this. Don't get me wrong, I'm not fond of what I see, I can only giggle (and certainly not because it's funny), but I see where they're coming from. Those Minimates look like rip-off from Lego Minifigs, which additionally makes the whole thing look less legit or appealing, but it's Crystal Dynamics - I'm not surprised.

Last edited by Dustie; 12-02-13 at 12:35.
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-13, 12:46   #9
SpyrosMonster

I'm sorry but I like those more than the figure on the Collector's Edition!
SpyrosMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-13, 12:49   #10
Phlip
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustie View Post
They're not "Lego toys"? How were the Lara figurines that much more adult than this, huh? And it makes perfect sense if they want commercial performance from the title to introduce merchandise such as this. Don't get me wrong, I'm not fond of what I see, I can only giggle (and certainly not because it's funny), but I see where they're coming from. Those Minimates look like rip-off from Lego Minifigs, which additionally makes the whole thing look less legit or appealing, but it's Crystal Dynamics - I'm not surprised.
Lego appeals to 6-year-olds only so these are kinda embarrassing. Nicely made proper figures are cool.
Phlip is offline   Reply With Quote